What happens if a vet doesn't fill out an evaluation you requested?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoYouEvenCow

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am having a few issues right now with my evaluations. I asked four people to fill out an evaluation and write me a letter of recommendation. Three of them have already submitted them and they all said they wrote glowing letters for me.

However, the fourth vet (a small animal clinical vet who I spent about 400 hours with) has been dragging his feet in doing the evaluation. Through gentle pushes/reminders I have managed to get him to go in and actually accept and start the evaluation. However, he has not submitted it, and I found out recently he and his wife left on vacation for about a month (they won't get back until after the VMCAS deadline).

So I am in a position where my fourth evaluation may never come through. How will this look on the application if they see an evaluation requested, accepted, but never completed? In addition to this, he is the only clinical vet who I requested an evaluation from, the other three are DVMs but I worked with them mostly on research and general animal care at my University's farm. Could this also negatively impact my application?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

So I am having a few issues right now with my evaluations. I asked four people to fill out an evaluation and write me a letter of recommendation. Three of them have already submitted them and they all said they wrote glowing letters for me.

However, the fourth vet (a small animal clinical vet who I spent about 400 hours with) has been dragging his feet in doing the evaluation. Through gentle pushes/reminders I have managed to get him to go in and actually accept and start the evaluation. However, he has not submitted it, and I found out recently he and his wife left on vacation for about a month (they won't get back until after the VMCAS deadline).

So I am in a position where my fourth evaluation may never come through. How will this look on the application if they see an evaluation requested, accepted, but never completed? In addition to this, he is the only clinical vet who I requested an evaluation from, the other three are DVMs but I worked with them mostly on research and general animal care at my University's farm. Could this also negatively impact my application?

Thanks!
You're definitely not the first person whose had an evaluator flake on them! I'm not sure that the schools would even see that you had an incomplete eval....that's a question for VMCAS. However, if you meet their specific letter requirements (for example, 1 DVM and 1 professor, or whatever), it shouldn't be an issue.

A DVM is a DVM when it comes to meeting requirements unless a school specifies otherwise. I'm sure the clinical DVM's letter would have helped you, but you can't do much about it now, especially with him being unreachable.

As long as you meet the three recommendation requirement with one professor and two vets, you will be just fine. Go into your recommendation page and delete that particular name if he isn't going to write for you. That way, it won't show up on your application at all; as opposed to leaving it incomplete. Also, double check with vmcas, because I'm almost certain that you are able to have recommendations submitted after your application itself is submitted.