what happens if we get into it with Iran or N Korea

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

koobpheej

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So what do you think happens in regards to military dentistry if we get into things with Iran or N Korea? There is a lot of saber rattling going on, makes it hard to tell how serious things are or if it is just political posturing. How would more/new wars effect the military and military dentistry?

Members don't see this ad.

So what do you think happens in regards to military dentistry if we get into things with Iran or N Korea? There is a lot of saber rattling going on, makes it hard to tell how serious things are or if it is just political posturing. How would more/new wars effect the military and military dentistry?

Don't pay attention to saber rattling. Both countries do it *all* the time. Using history as a guide:

Israel will preemptively strike out at Iran via airstrikes if Iran develops nuclear capability (they did it to Iraq in 1981 and the 6 Day War on the Arab coalition in 1967). This will probably leave most of the world out of participation. The Arab states are so weak right now after the Arab spring, they probably couldn't even mount a unified fight against Israel.

North Korea probably doesn't have the capability of a prolonged war as in the first Korea War. I highly doubt they would dare to invade South Korea. Unless they had the Icarus satellite like in Die Another Day ;)

The only way for the military to mobilize the same way 10 years ago is if we are attacked on our soil and we need to go chase the bad guys (as in Afghanistan), where popular support will be behind military action.

Any other major terrorist attack will probably be deferred to UN action. We've just come out of long wars with Afghanistan and Iraq, popular sentiment now is to bring the troops home and tlet the locals take over.

Of course I'm an armchair analyst and in no way near the Jack Ryan CIA level skill of analysis. If somehow North Korea or Iran fabricate a dirty bomb and detonate it in Los Angeles or New York City, I guarantee, you, me and everyone else on this board will be mobilized for action.

I think you're pretty spot on.
China, the main ally of N.K., doesn't want any tension in Korean peninsula. It wants to do more economic growth. Russia will be uncomfortable massive amount of US military coming to Korea peninsula.
Even if N.K. does sneak attack, South Korea won't retaliate in a full scale b/c its economy is heavily tied with the stability of the peninsula.

I think Obama, who is most likely re-elected, are more lenient towards the Arabs. US won't support Israel attacking Iran (will most likely block the oil ship route if attacked), and that would hinder economic recovery

Members don't see this ad :)
New wars would mean that military dentists would deploy with the rest of the military to those locations. Like we were in Iraq and currently are in Afghanistan.

Don't join. Being part I the military you probably will deploy somewhere you don't want to go. If you're afraid of the rising tension between the US and other countries, then your probably joining for the wrong reasons. If you "just" want to be a dentist the suck it up and pay back your debt.

If you're going to volunteer for military service you must realize that you may be deployed. As a dentist - it should not be too bad (this was my perspective as an enlisted person. I'm sure dentists could speak to it better than I).

I hope in the future we draft when the US goes to war and possibly have a war tax. Too few have done way too much & our foreign policy reflects this.

Nothing for dentistry. But if one is in medicine, then watch out! There are many military docs who are assigned to treat wounded soldiers on rescue helicopters while being fired upon by the enemy. Forget that, I would rather be a soldier with a gun than a sitting duck!

If you're going to volunteer for military service you must realize that you may be deployed. As a dentist - it should not be too bad (this was my perspective as an enlisted person. I'm sure dentists could speak to it better than I).

I hope in the future we draft when the US goes to war and possibly have a war tax. Too few have done way too much & our foreign policy reflects this.
Docs don't go on helicopters - they are at the hospitals and aid stations. Medics are the ones that go out into harms way and are embedded with the units.

Flight surgeons?
AMEDD is beginning to train flight paramedics that will have a bigger role in aerial medivacs.

Flight surgeons are tasked with health of the flight crew. They also review/verify that correct medical coverage is on the flights to care for the wounded in transit - but not necessarily involved in their direct care on a regular basis.

That is coming from my Doc friend that I work with (2 tours - Iraq and Afghanistan).

Docs don't go on helicopters - they are at the hospitals and aid stations. Medics are the ones that go out into harms way and are embedded with the units.

Yep... Medics and corpsmen, occasionally a nurse, on medevac and casevac flights - no medical officers until you get to the Battalion Aid Station or equivalent.

I dont know if you're being sarcastic; but, I was trying to get at that when few feel the effects of war it's very easy to go into wars and remain involved for a long time. In my mind drafting and war tax would make sure we persued wars that were regarded as "worth it" to most people because now all the sudden they're interested/have some skin in the game. This keeps everyone involved and voting to create a politcal climate that acts as a check or balance.

War tax ....hmmm.. now that's a good idea.

I dont know if you're being sarcastic; but, I was trying to get at that when few feel the effects of war it's very easy to go into wars and remain involved for a long time. In my mind drafting and war tax would make sure we persued wars that were regarded as "worth it" to most people because now all the sudden they're interested/have some skin in the game. This keeps everyone involved and voting to create a politcal climate that acts as a check or balance.

I wasn't being sarcastic. I agree with everything you wrote.