What happens if you pay the deposit to a school and not end up going???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beebee0

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I got acceptance letters late, and only have about 10 days to decide!! I have narrowed down to 2 choices but really can't decide unless I visit the campuses. What would happen if I pay the deposit to both schools before the decision deadline, and not show up to one of them? Is that bad and does anybody ever do it?

thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

I would imagine you would lose your deposit money at the school you aren't attending, as I think most are non-refundable. If I recall correctly, I believe there was a statement to the effect of "let us know as soon as possible if your plans change" after paying the deposit. The worst thing (conscience-wise anyway, IMO) is that you are potentially taking up a spot for a student that is on a wait-list. I would look into the specific policy at your school(s).

I would imagine you would lose your deposit money at the school you aren't attending, as I think most are non-refundable. If I recall correctly, I believe there was a statement to the effect of "let us know as soon as possible if your plans change" after paying the deposit. The worst thing (conscience-wise anyway, IMO) is that you are potentially taking up a spot for a student that is on a wait-list. I would look into the specific policy at your school(s).

Would it be appropriate to ask the schools? If I ask doesnt that show that I'm already thinking of not going, which could be 'bad' for them?

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe if you explain your position (i.e. late letters of acceptance, desire to visit campus) they may grant you an extension for the enrollment deposit. I've seen other posts about people doing that. I would ask for the extension rather than submit deposits and rescind, but that's just me. If they say no to the extension, you may just have to bite the bullet and make a decision.