What happens if you renege on a grad intern offer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lexington2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the worst that can happen if you renege on a grad intern offer? I just got a slightly better offer from a competitor and I already signed with another company. Will I be blacklisted?

Members don't see this ad.

HR probably tracks it. I don't know if it would prevent a "re-hire" assuming you are already in the system as an intern.

You asked for the worst case scenario and it would be you being fired immediately and getting blacklisted from the company.

Members don't see this ad :)
You asked for the worst case scenario and it would be you being fired immediately and getting blacklisted from the company.
this is worst case - honestly I backed out of a grad intern offer (kmart) - but times were different - never had an issue getting a job - honestly unless it is one of the major chains, I wouldn't worry to much, better to have sanity and a good job and risk offending someone - just hope you never have to go back to the person in the future

Just do it respectfully and give them plenty of time. As long as your manager isn't a complete jerk you shouldn't be blacklisted.

I backed out of a CVS grad intern position last year. They sent out the offer in november during my last year in school and gave me 1 month to respond. How could they expect me to make a decision that early, even before going through the majority of my rotations? I accepted at the time but backed out in March. I had a long respectful talk with the DM and he said just let him know if I changed my mind.

From Walgreens 2004, HR policy was to put an Area VP do not rehire (DNR) ban that the RxS has to override if you apply again if you accepted but renege. We were told "Do Not Accept" if you are wondering/wavering, but then again, it was a different market so we had a lot longer (I think June) to decide. I'd definitely echo the above advice about handling it diplomatically if you do renege to possibly avoid a DNR.

But it's a free market, you are free to sell your labor to anyone who is willing to buy, and that's your best and only defense in these times.

Even worse: You being fired immediately, getting blacklisted from the company, and then watching merger mania continue until there is a single pharmacy employer left in your area- which was the one you reneged on in the first place. And then...you catch Ebola.

Reactions: 5 users
Even worse: You being fired immediately, getting blacklisted from the company, and then watching merger mania continue until there is a single pharmacy employer left in your area- which was the one you reneged on in the first place. And then...you catch Ebola.
...and then you're mistaken for a terrorist and sent to Guantanamo...

Reactions: 1 users
...and then you're mistaken for a terrorist and sent to Guantanamo...
and then a hurricane comes through and you are stranded in water neck high

Reactions: 1 user
So can anyone else confirm if the "DNR" type of orders are only region-specific? It sounds like reneging on an offer wouldn't hurt you if you're willing to move.