Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

1. If you prefer the SDN Blue style, go to the bottom left of the page and select "SDN Blue"

What happens if you turn down an acceptance

Discussion in 'Caribbean' started by Sarahgelatinano, 12.04.07.

1. Sarahgelatinano

Sarahgelatinano totally awesome

Pre-Medical
    SDN 5+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    What happens if you apply to school (AUC and St.G in my case) and then retake the MCAT and do really well....well enough to take another shot at US allo schools for the next year. Lets say you get accepted to AUC and SG and turn them down to take another shot at the application cycle. If you still get no love from US allo schools and then reapply to AUC and SG the next year are you blacklisted from the schools since you already turned them down once?
  2. apoptos

apoptos purulent & supple

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I don't think you'd need to reapply; if you get accepted, just politely ask them if you can defer your admission until the following semester due to personal reasons.
  3. MDPWR

MDPWR

Pre-Medical
    SDN 5+ Year Member

Thats sounds like a good advise, I Wonder if they charge anything for the deferred start of the accepted student.

Thanks.
  4. AngryBaby

AngryBaby El Hefe

Medical Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    I've heard that SGU generally doesn't grant deferments. However if you do well on the MCAT then you can always reapply and get in the next term.
  5. NewHope

NewHope

SDN 2+ Year Member
    They definitely do charge for the deferments. And I think you could defer for one semster only. Also re-applying does not necessarily grant you an acceptance again. Adcoms can smell this stuff from a mile away. They want to ensure their "head" count, and will ask you for a seat deposit almost immediately after the acceptance.
    To the OP: if the question is a hypothetical one just re-take the MCAT and re-apply in U.S. first. SGU and AUC have no shortage of the qulified applicants, and may not see you as being sireus or commited enough.

Just my $0.02 from the experience with SABA which actually gave me graciously my acceptance twice.
  6. Sarahgelatinano

Sarahgelatinano totally awesome

Pre-Medical
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    It's not hypothetical. I applied already to AUC and SG with my current scores, but I am retaking the MCAT in Jan or April. If I score well enough, I want to try my chances again at US allo schools since my GPA is okay. However, I wanted to go ahead and apply to AUC and SG just in case the retake didn't turn out okay, so I could go ahead and move on with my education starting this fall. I didn't want to be out of school AGAIN for another year waiting for an acceptance at AUC or SG.

Thanks for the replies. I guess I will just have to wait and see how things turn out.
  7. MDPWR

MDPWR

Pre-Medical
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    You've got it!
  8. senseigmg

senseigmg Junior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Does turning down a caribbean acceptance hurt your chances for reapplying at a US school?
    I have a Ross interview coming up soon, and am wondering if I should even go. I'm still waiting to hear from over 15 allo schools and a few D.O. schools, and ross is a backup-backup that i was "persuaded" into applying to.
  9. oldpro

oldpro MS IV

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    By now do you have acceptances? If not you are not going to a US school in from applying this past year......... Just the facts since 60% are turned down who apply......... if you are competitive (3.4 gpa or better, 30 MCAT or better) then you may have a shot of a waiting list if no acceptance by now, most have been selected by Jan and a few after..........................................

If you do the Ross interview and accepted no problem to US schools there is no way they can know, if you skip it and do not get into one US school what then? You want to sit out and reapply this year? All over again?

Good Luck but I hate the US getting into medical school game, its tough!
  10. senseigmg

senseigmg Junior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    My question is more in regards to when somebody turns down a US acceptance, it is a huge red flag when they reapply. Is this the same in regards to turning down a caribbean acceptance. I'm 3.4, 32, 2nd time applying. last year my 1st interview invite came in march for an early april interview.
  11. oldpro

oldpro MS IV

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Well you have very borderline stats with the 34, a 32 helps but without a really good app all around you may not get into a US school this year either. April is late for interviews Don't ya think? Many schools start in August now.

WHy hold out for two years? I think it is unwise myself.
  12. senseigmg

senseigmg Junior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    I get that part, i'm just simply trying to find out if the caribbean schools are in the same "system" as the US Schools. Ex. If I applied to a school back in India (home country), then decided I didn't want to go there, would that be detrimental to a US application the next year?
  13. oldpro

oldpro MS IV

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Funny but I TOLD YOU THEY ARE NOT in the thread above..............

US schools will not know unless YOU tell them.

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal