What helped you understand cathode/anode reactions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sammy1024

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Cathode/ anode reactions just boggle my mind. I've read multiple sources on the topic and it just doesn't stick/ make sense after a few days. Has anything helped you understand this topic??

Members don't see this ad.

Chad's (coursesaver).

Get a free trial! He made it super simple. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Watch an animated video on youtube. Don't attempt any questions until you can draw out an electrolytic cell and label the parts, including what the salt bridge is for.

Reactions: 1 user
Khan Academy is free and does a great job with a lot MCAT topics. Some of the info goes beyond what you'll need for the MCAT so keep that in mind, but regardless the videos are generally phenomenal.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Ummm...I just got it in my head that:

• Electrons always go from the anode to the cathode (therefore, anode is where oxidation occurs, and cathode is where reduction occurs)
  • Anions always migrate towards the anode half-cell
  • The anode is (-) and the cathode is (+) is galvanic cells (and circuits, which use a battery (a type of galvanic cell)
  • The anode is (+) and the cathode is (-) in electrolytic cells
If you just ingrain these facts in your head, you can get 95% of cathode/anode problems

Khan Academy is free and does a great job with a lot MCAT topics. Some of the info goes beyond what you'll need for the MCAT so keep that in mind, but regardless the videos are generally phenomenal.

Good luck!

Khan Academy has good information, but has a reputation for being unbearably slow. If Khan Academy would present at a normal pace like Chad does, it would be much more useful. Fast forward x2 helps, but can make the videos difficult to hear correctly.

Ummm...I just got it in my head that:

• Electrons always go from the anode to the cathode (therefore, anode is where oxidation occurs, and cathode is where reduction occurs)
  • Anions always migrate towards the anode half-cell
  • The anode is (-) and the cathode is (+) is galvanic cells (and circuits, which use a battery (a type of galvanic cell)
  • The anode is (+) and the cathode is (-) in electrolytic cells
If you just ingrain these facts in your head, you can get 95% of cathode/anode problems

THIS, and I remember "An ox & a red cat" for "anode oxidizes, reduction at cathode".

Also, that the anode is named for what it attracts, which is anions. Cathodes attract cations.