What hobbies do you want to explore once you're making big Doctor money?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iqe2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For me it would be deep diving. I've always loved the water and diving just looks really cool and fun.

It would also be cool to take a dance class. I suck at dancing.

Pottery/painting/some kind of art

I'd also like to try skiing, zip-lining, parasailing, speed-boating, and hiking but those are activities more so than hobbies.

What about you guys?

Members don't see this ad.

You don't need "doctor money" for any of those things. I dive, ski, hike, boat...parasailing is wicked boring.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't wait! Especially for art, art is cheap. Think of the starving artists!

Members don't see this ad :)
I hope to pursue the exciting hobby of paying off my loans.

Reactions: 39 users
The real problem I've got is a lack of time for the hobbies I enjoy, not so much money.

I'd like to continue traveling the world when I get the chance- so many countries to see, so little time on this rock. But the way I travel, I need blocks of 1-2 months off, so it's gotta wait until I'm an attending or doing locums.

Reactions: 3 users
Don't wait! Especially for art, art is cheap. Think of the starving artists!

The supplies for keeping up a art hobby, especially painting, are anything but cheap.

I'd like to get more into flying. I have my license but planes and fuel are so expensive.

Reactions: 9 users
Buying shoes

Charity/volunteer dental work abroad

That's basically it

I'd like to fund a dental clinic in the village in the homeland where my dad grew up. But the homeland is so corrupt, I don't know if it's possible

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 4 users
All I want is the Honda CBR 1000 Repsol edition and access to a nice shooting range.

Cooking, photography, taking my future kids to science centres where they show cool physics phenomenons (don't laugh)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I want a pet kangaroo. Really.

Reactions: 1 users
I'd like to design and build a cob house on a nice piece of land.

Oh, and write medical human interest pieces for the New Yorker and have everyone love me. That will be a good hobby, I think.

Two chicks at the same time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 11 users
Cooking, photography, taking my future kids to science centres where they show cool physics phenomenons
Zjwo4.gif

Last edited:
Obviously doing things with my family, but I'd really like to get involved with science communication, hosting/co-hosting a podcast might be cool and cello is an instrument I'd really like to learn to play.

Doctor money is great, but I'd need trust fund babby time :p

All my dream hobbies somehow involve working a second career simultaneously while working as a physician. And constant travel.

"Big Doctor money" is certainly not as significant as many premeds think but you absolutely can afford a dance class, hiking or some art lessons. The issue really is going to be time, so I would probably bang out your (OPs) whole list during the summer before med school starts. This is a career where you will work a LOT of hours and will need to pick and choose hobbies carefully because you simply won't have time for everything that seems interesting. You'll likely have to pick one thing that's important to you and work hard to make time for it. If your "hobby" is something like research that helps foster your career, or something athletic that keeps you in shape that's probably ideal. And once you have a family a lot of your hobby time is going out the window.

Reactions: 6 users
Cooking, tiny-housing, pets, auto-x, farming, building a two-stroke motorcycle collection, and possibly surfing.

I wanna be able to pay for guac on my mexican food without worrying about the additional cost

Reactions: 36 users
Creating a massive personal library. Think of the library in the Beauty and the Beast.

Creating a massive personal library. Think of the library in the Beauty and the Beast.
Obsolescence as far as the eye can see!

Really though, that would be sweet. I want to have a reading room with incredibly mis-sized things all over the place to give it a very Alice in Wonderland feel- can have a lot of fun with a small library built on a theme of geometric chaos.

My shoe closet has exploded since I started working. It doesn't fit in our apt, it doesn't even fit at my parents house, they threatened to make me get a storage unit

Love this!!

Build my own studio with amps and drums and mics and a recording console and all that hoopla. And also build up one of those hifi vinyl record player set ups.

"Big Doctor money" is certainly not as significant as many premeds think but you absolutely can afford a dance class, hiking or some art lessons. The issue really is going to be time, so I would probably bang out your (OPs) whole list during the summer before med school starts. This is a career where you will work a LOT of hours and will need to pick and choose hobbies carefully because you simply won't have time for everything that seems interesting. You'll likely have to pick one thing that's important to you and work hard to make time for it. If your "hobby" is something like research that helps foster your career, or something athletic that keeps you in shape that's probably ideal. And once you have a family a lot of your hobby time is going out the window.

Good point, money cannot buy time. And I should plan something "big" before medical school, maybe I'll go out of the country.

I need to get into shape as well. I'd like to become a runner (30 miles a week kind of guy).

I don't plan on getting married or starting a family so that gives me some extra time.

I'd like to get more into flying. I have my license but planes and fuel are so expensive.
I know a couple of Doctors that have taken over a practice because the past Doc died in a plane crash.

Thought about rebuilding muscles cars

Build my own studio with amps and drums and mics and a recording console and all that hoopla. And also build up one of those hifi vinyl record player set ups.

I would want to have my own production studio and something that packs at least 64gb of RAM for the ultimate DAW setup!

Also, I would want to continue to workout everyday!

I'll make a computer rig with unnecessarily ridiculous specs. Then when I retire I'll finally be able to use it and become a streamer.
I'm glad someone else shares my dreams.

its time consuming; I had an old truck that i was building and I sold it as soon as I went back to college. The issue was time and money, but even with the money I wouldn't have had time.

Ah man. Yeah, I thought it about it but who knows...