What if I didn't enjoy some of my undergrad science courses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

andyrides

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone-

I am planning to apply for PT school sometime in the next 1-2 years, but I have one big reservation. Specifically, I didn't always enjoy my science classes in undergrad. Chemistry was terrible for me and while biology had its moments, I can't say I enjoyed it much either. That said, physiology was one of my favorite classes, and I also really liked physics when I took it in high school.

Am I crazy to think I'd be a good fit for PT school, or are there others out there who've made it through in a similar situation? The idea of being a PT appeals to me very much, but I'm a bit concerned about having what it takes to get there.

Thanks for your advice!!!

Members don't see this ad.

You didn't enjoy learning about orbital shells of atoms? You'll probably fail out of PT school. Sorry

Haha. Who actually likes learning chemistry? It's safe to say most of us here don't. The physical therapist I worked for once asked me what I was studying during lunch. I showed her my chemistry book and she laughed and said "Yeah, you can forget that once you become a therapist. I hated that subject."

Members don't see this ad :)
Chem was my favorite subject, but weed out courses are just that.

If you didn't enjoy A&P and biology then I would be concerned. I don't think any PT student has good memories of physics (except maybe for force and torque) or chemistry. Personally I enjoyed chemistry.

Did you enjoy other classes like psychology, statistics, and sociology?

Kevin

I've never taken anatomy, but physiology was one of my favorite courses. As for biology, I didn't like it all that much, but I did come away with an A. I think my not liking it might have had more to do with the prof I had than with the subject material. I was a psych major/soc minor, so I absolutely loved those classes. I took two stats courses, one of which I became very frustrated with because my prof was a Chinese woman with an impossibly heavy accent. The other stats course, however, was a lot of fun!

If you didn't enjoy A&P and biology then I would be concerned. I don't think any PT student has good memories of physics (except maybe for force and torque) or chemistry. Personally I enjoyed chemistry.

Did you enjoy other classes like psychology, statistics, and sociology?

Kevin

Thanks, that's reassuring. I'm fairly certain I can trudge through these courses if a career in PT is the light at the end of the tunnel.

Haha. Who actually likes learning chemistry? It's safe to say most of us here don't. The physical therapist I worked for once asked me what I was studying during lunch. I showed her my chemistry book and she laughed and said "Yeah, you can forget that once you become a therapist. I hated that subject."

Chem was my favorite subject, but weed out courses are just that.

Who actually likes learning chemistry?

I do...I've loved my chemistry classes so far....

It's one of those things where if the concepts click and you get it you absolutely love it, but if you're not getting it you will never like it no matter how "amazing" the subject may be...

Personally, I dont think you have to enjoy any of your undergrad science classes to do well in PT school, as long as you have a love for the profession you can grind it out during your classes in PT school. In Musculoskeletal sciences and neuro for example, I just draw parallels from the information im learning to how it can help my future patients / clients, and that keeps me motivated and engaged.

Most PT majors dont like those "weed out" science courses, like others said its totally fine to not enjoy chemistry/physics/entomology or other stuff that will probably not pertain to becoming a therapist. Just make sure to have enough motivation to actually get A/B's on those boring classes :p

I don't see why these classes have to be "boring". It's about your attitude and desire for knowledge. Any class can be boring or fascinating depending on your attitude and perspective.

I don't see why these classes have to be "boring". It's about your attitude and desire for knowledge. Any class can be boring or fascinating depending on your attitude and perspective.

:thumbup:

If you have the right attitude, no class will be or should be boring. I haven't had a single "boring" class in PT school but I constantly hear my classmates complain about some of their classes. Attitude is everything.

Kevin

Good to know. Thanks everyone. I'm still figuring out if PT is right for me, but at least I now I know that I don't need to worry about my dislike of chemistry :)

If you have the right attitude, no class will be or should be boring. I haven't had a single "boring" class in PT school but I constantly hear my classmates complain about some of their classes. Attitude is everything.

Kevin

As Abraham Lincoln said in the recent movie: "What a joy to be comprehended!"

:thumbup::thumbup: