What if I took a "mini MCAT" every day??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

txlonghorn2314

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm exactly 34 days from my exam. I just finished 3 of my SA (GC-80% , VR-68%, Bio-68%)

I'm not feeling great at all about my SA's however I will say that fatigue and loss of focus was a major factor (I did almost half the VR and all the Bio in one day). I scored 51/60 on the first half and 32/60 on the second half of verbal...I really lost focus and got impatient to see the results lol, and then jumped straight in grinding my way through the whole bio SA.

Anyways, because the AAMC clearly only test basic content knowledge, I feel like my number one issue now isn't the content nearly as much as it is the endurance, and lack of focus (I haven't actually done a ton of practice passages to date). So I was going to see if it would be a good idea to do a "mini mcat" every single day until test day (on days that I'm not doing/reviewing a FL)

By mini-mcat I mean picking the my weakest PS and BS topics, and then doing 4 PS passages in 30 min, break, 4 verbal in 30 min, break, 4 BS in 30, finish. So spend 90 minutes taking the mini mcat and spend the next 6 hours reviewing it and doing practice problems on missed concepts. I like this idea because it allows me to study each topic every day while constantly building my test-taking/critical thinking skills.

Please let me know if this is a good idea for making drastic improvements over the next month!!! Thanks :D

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest making it 2 familiar topics out of the 4 total that way your confidence isnt totally shattered and you remain sharp in every category

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks! After these past three days I wish I would have been doing stuff like that the whole time...maybe I wouldn't haven't had to get my confidence blown by some of these SAs lol You think a month is enough time to see big improvements?

So instead of doing more full lengths, you will do mini mcats? Im not sure I understand why? Especially if focus and endurance are a problem. However, if this is because you have a small window between FL's then I get it, and say go for it. Reviewing these mini mcats as diligently as the FL's thogh seems crucial or they are just a waste of time and you are just doing passages for the sake of doing passages.

Members don't see this ad :)
So instead of doing more full lengths, you will do mini mcats? Im not sure I understand why? Especially if focus and endurance are a problem. However, if this is because you have a small window between FL's then I get it, and say go for it. Reviewing these mini mcats as diligently as the FL's thogh seems crucial or they are just a waste of time and you are just doing passages for the sake of doing passages.

I'm doing FLs once a week and in between id be doing the mini mcats focusing mainly on my weaknesses

do it, and answer as many practice questions as you can. it's all about practice and if you get in enough practice you will do well.

do it, and answer as many practice questions as you can. it's all about practice and if you get in enough practice you will do well.

If my biggest issue is stamina/losing focus after about the 4th passage in a section, would you think it to be a good idea to make the mini mcats 5 passages/35 min per section?

If my biggest issue is stamina/losing focus after about the 4th passage in a section, would you think it to be a good idea to make the mini mcats 5 passages/35 min per section?

yes, slowly push your limits and try doing it under exact mcat conditions. like if your exam is at 8am, do it at 8AM. I had my first mcat at 8am and it really sucked and that timing put a dent in my score. The key though is to slowly push your limitations and see what works for you. In verbal see if you can accommodate small breaks w/in the time limit. There are about a million ways to skin the cat, you just need to find the one that works the best for you.

yes, slowly push your limits and try doing it under exact mcat conditions. like if your exam is at 8am, do it at 8AM. I had my first mcat at 8am and it really sucked and that timing put a dent in my score. The key though is to slowly push your limitations and see what works for you. In verbal see if you can accommodate small breaks w/in the time limit. There are about a million ways to skin the cat, you just need to find the one that works the best for you.

Thanks! Would you personally think ~6 weeks is enough to greatly improve in the "speedy critical thinking and endurance" aspect of the test...if I'm doing/reviewing an MCAT (fl or mini) every day till then

Thanks! Would you personally think ~6 weeks is enough to greatly improve in the "speedy critical thinking and endurance" aspect of the test

Would you be doing it every day? (take at least one day a week off, I took two) I definitely think you can make some major improvements if you keep at it 5 days a week and really go over your exams and try to critically understand/work on what causes you issues. It took me a very long time to get things down for the mcat. Also, be sure to save the official AAMCs for last as they are your most valuable indicator.

Would you be doing it every day? (take at least one day a week off, I took two) I definitely think you can make some major improvements if you keep at it 5 days a week and really go over your exams and try to critically understand/work on what causes you issues. It took me a very long time to get things down for the mcat. Also, be sure to save the official AAMCs for last as they are your most valuable indicator.

Yeah my plan is to finish reviewing my SAs and set up my mini mcats based on my weaknesses (and some strengths thrown in) and doing a mini MCAT Monday-Saturday this week and then doing mini test monday-Thursday, FL on Friday, review on Saturday And then the last two weeks bumping it up to two FL a week with a hat trick or mini in between

Yeah my plan is to finish reviewing my SAs and set up my mini mcats based on my weaknesses (and some strengths thrown in) and doing a mini MCAT Monday-Saturday this week and then doing mini test monday-Thursday, FL on Friday, review on Saturday And then the last two weeks bumping it up to two FL a week with a hat trick or mini in between

very good call, how many of the AAMCs FLs have you done so far though? you might want to take one of the earlier ones at the 3 week interval just to get an idea of where you are at and what you need to focus on. AAMCs exams should be used sparingly (I blew way too many of them early on) but used properly will tell you exactly what you need to focus your efforts on. Frequently for people there will be one concept that they brush over carelessly or formula not really committed to memory and the AAMC exams really force you to see that.

very good call, how many of the AAMCs FLs have you done so far though? you might want to take one of the earlier ones at the 3 week interval just to get an idea of where you are at and what you need to focus on. AAMCs exams should be used sparingly (I blew way too many of them early on) but used properly will tell you exactly what you need to focus your efforts on. Frequently for people there will be one concept that they brush over carelessly or formula not really committed to memory and the AAMC exams really force you to see that.

I haven't done any of them yet, I just finished my SAs and I've honestly been too apprehensive to try it, I guess I've been afraid of a low score destroying my confidence, but I plan on hitting the mini tests timed this week and diving in and starting AAMC3 the next Monday

I haven't done any of them yet, I just finished my SAs and I've honestly been too apprehensive to try it, I guess I've been afraid of a low score destroying my confidence, but I plan on hitting the mini tests timed this week and diving in and starting AAMC3 the next Monday

good just as long as you have one to assess where you're at that really helps. AAMC 3 is really good, and will give you a decent idea of your weaknesses and strengths. Also, be sure to really study what you miss and make flashcards to reinforce concepts and prevent future errors. Flashcards really really really help.