What if you don't have that "Aha!" moment for medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clocks123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I feel like my desire to go into medicine has been a gradual journey through high school and undergrad. There hasn't been that one defining moment where I said, "yes, this is why I want to go into medicine". Instead, I have had many small encounters with patients while volunteering, learned about what a physicians daily work life is through shadowing, and seen the impact medicine can have on a patient's life through my parents who are doctors. Overall, all of these experiences have added up throughout my life and have illustrated to me how admirable and unique it is to become a physician.
Do other people feel this way? Can I write a strong personal essay that explains this or do most have that one defining experience?

Members don't see this ad.

I would say most people have gradual experiences. You can certainly still write a strong personal statement.

Your story is much better than an "aha" moment.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For some people it's evolutionary, and others, it revolutionary. Either is fine.

I feel like my desire to go into medicine has been a gradual journey through high school and undergrad. There hasn't been that one defining moment where I said, "yes, this is why I want to go into medicine". Instead, I have had many small encounters with patients while volunteering, learned about what a physicians daily work life is through shadowing, and seen the impact medicine can have on a patient's life through my parents who are doctors. Overall, all of these experiences have added up throughout my life and have illustrated to me how admirable and unique it is to become a physician.
Do other people feel this way? Can I write a strong personal essay that explains this or do most have that one defining experience?

Reactions: 2 users
You can certainly still write a great personal statement without an "aha" moment. In fact they may even prefer it; I'm no adcom, but the personal statement featuring the "aha" moment is often written in such a cliche manner that I imagine they get sick of it.

Reactions: 1 users
Mine was gradually discovered in college

I feel like it might even be disingenuous to have an "aha" moment so early in our medical training (pre-medical training, actually). So the gradual interest sounds much more realistic, imo.

As most of the others have said, for many it is a gradual process. I know it was for me, and I crafted my personal statement around that. On that note, definitely be able to pick a few moments when you were either volunteering, or shadowing, that really reinforces your desire to pursue medicine. That way, you'll have other things to mention when interview season comes around and they ask you "So why do you want to be a doctor", rather than just reiterating your personal statement. Good luck in your application process.

Gradual is fine. I only really started having "a-ha" moments in medical school that really validated my initial reasons, which were gradually formed.

Reactions: 1 user
Most people don't have "aha" moments before going to work for whomever they work for. That's not a bad thing. I'd consider you a more balanced individual for having a more nuanced perspective.

I didn't have my "aha" moment until well into the clerkship year of medical school. A very few number of people have the cliche "and THAT'S when I found out that I'm going to be a doctor!," but I don't think that's the norm. Talk about the experiences that are important to you and let you to become a physician. As long as you've spent some time thinking about your choice and what you discuss in your PS seems reasonable and plausible, you'll be fine.

Seeing as nearly half my class have one or more physician parents, I think your experience is not uncommon. There's no need to make the PS dramatic, just reflect personally on what this decision means for you.