What if you were by yourself and had diarrhea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorOP

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I tend to get a lot of diarrhea, especially when I drink coffee. What happens when there is a long line and you get diarrhea?

Members don't see this ad.

Adult diaper, my friend.

I tend to get a lot of diarrhea, especially when I drink coffee. What happens when there is a long line and you get diarrhea?

are you a pharmacy tech/student/pharmacist ?? but pharmacy or not, this is easy: you have prioritize things. If there is no life and death situation, you just have to excuse yourself and go to the restroom... if this happens often, you wear diaper like BMBiology suggests above.

oh I think I got it now why you ask this question in a pharmacy forum... lol :)

Members don't see this ad :)
While crapping your pants look the customers in the eye and explain exactly why corporate says this is the right thing to do.

Reactions: 8 users

Umm... don't drink coffee if you know you're going to be alone that day?

Reactions: 4 users
coffee really increases stomach motility for some reasons

i switch over to redbull or energy drinks on those days

anybody have reputable journal articles on detriments of energy drinks?

This makes me glad Walmart has a bathroom in the pharmacy. I would just say to the next customer "I'll be right with you" then sneak to the bathroom and relieve myself.

Does anyone know if the techs at Walmart get to use the bathroom in the pharmacy or is it only for the pharmacists?

Last edited:
If you have to go, you have to go. Then take some loperamide.

Reactions: 2 users
Call manager over to pharmacy and have them keep an eye on it. Go to the bathroom and then buy some loperamide. The easiest solution to this is just don't drink coffee.

Reactions: 1 user
Cheap coffee gives you the aforementioned problem.

Try some Costa Rican coffee, it's a richer flavor and milder blend. You can make the stuff black as tar and you still won't have a bathroom emergency.

Poo in your hand, then throw it at the customer

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Loperimide! How I love thee!

Just take an Immodium anytime you have coffee before a shift?

Maybe switch to tea and/or talk to a GI doc? Coffee shouldn't be giving you the runs that bad.

I rely on vitamins instead of caffeine. Though keep low steady dosing; many are water soluble and niacinamide is even sedating

Last edited:
This thread jinxed me. Was in the john 3x today. And I fully blame the OP, not the bean burritos.

This makes me glad Walmart has a bathroom in the pharmacy. I would just say to the next customer "I'll be right with you" then sneak to the bathroom and relieve myself.

Does anyone know if the techs at Walmart get to use the bathroom in the pharmacy or is it only for the pharmacists?
They are not supposed to. But some in different stores do.

If you work in a grocery store and had diarrhea you should go home. It is against health code. Same with vomiting.

If you work in a grocery store and had diarrhea you should go home. It is against health code. Same with vomiting.

True, but doubtful the place of employment would allow that.

As others have said, if you need to go to the bathroom for whatever reason, ask the store manager to watch the pharmacy, then go. If there were really nobody present to watch the pharmacy, then lock the doors & go.

Edited to add, I just realized you were a medical student, in your situation, excuse yourself from the patient, then go to the bathroom. If you know you are going to be in a surgery or something where you can't easily leave, then avoid anything that will aggravate your stomach, and take loperimide at the first sign of rumbliness.

Did you guys know that in Oklahoma you're not allowed to leave the actual pharmacy area if you're the only pharmacist? The pharmacy legally has to shut down its operations if there is not a pharmacist inside it. This means that you'll have to urinate in gatorade bottles and use adult diapers to avoid breaking state law.

Reactions: 1 users
Did you guys know that in Oklahoma you're not allowed to leave the actual pharmacy area if you're the only pharmacist? The pharmacy legally has to shut down its operations if there is not a pharmacist inside it. This means that you'll have to urinate in gatorade bottles and use adult diapers to avoid breaking state law.
Same in florida. Not every Rph follows it. But yea.

Same in florida. Not every Rph follows it. But yea.

This is not true. The pharmacy is still considered open if the pharmacist is in the restroom if he/she can still respond to technician questions.

So is Walmart the only pharmacy that has a bathroom in the pharmacy for the pharmacist?

True, but doubtful the place of employment would allow that.

As others have said, if you need to go to the bathroom for whatever reason, ask the store manager to watch the pharmacy, then go. If there were really nobody present to watch the pharmacy, then lock the doors & go.

Edited to add, I just realized you were a medical student, in your situation, excuse yourself from the patient, then go to the bathroom. If you know you are going to be in a surgery or something where you can't easily leave, then avoid anything that will aggravate your stomach, and take loperimide at the first sign of rumbliness.

Weird, always said pharmacist when I've been to the non-mobile version website. Anyhow, diarrhea is diarrhea. Health code is the health code. So if you're sick, you shouldn't be in a place where it is against the code to be sick. Particularly for someone that took an oath to do no harm.

Now, I understand that finding a replacement is never easy on short notice. And sometimes it's like sports: are you hurt or injured? Was it a gnarley burrito or possibly something worse? If the latter then you have a responsibility to make the calls to find you coverage. If you or your boss can't find you coverage then the pharmacy goes black.

This is not true. The pharmacy is still considered open if the pharmacist is in the restroom if he/she can still respond to technician questions.

Lol, I can just imagine what they did before cellphones.

Don't drink coffee.
Take some Imodium.
Excuse yourself to the patient. Go to the bathroom.

If your restroom is on the other side of the store then you must close. We have a restroom in our pharmacy but when it was broken EVERY TIME the pharmacist had to close the pharmacy. Put all gates down and the techs and interns had to wait outside. I remember hearing our DM mention that technically once the Rph left the OTC area they had to close the pharmacy.

Weird, always said pharmacist when I've been to the non-mobile version website. Anyhow, diarrhea is diarrhea. Health code is the health code. So if you're sick, you shouldn't be in a place where it is against the code to be sick. Particularly for someone that took an oath to do no harm.

I agree, but the situation being discussed concerned a guy with a known food intolerance. Many people have food intolerances, or irritable bowel syndrome, or other such stuff which can cause diarrhea but in which is no way infectious. And there is a difference between someone who has a single bout of diarrhea due to a food intolerance, and someone who can't leave the bathroom for more than 5 minutes at a time.

If your restroom is on the other side of the store then you must close. We have a restroom in our pharmacy but when it was broken EVERY TIME the pharmacist had to close the pharmacy. Put all gates down and the techs and interns had to wait outside. I remember hearing our DM mention that technically once the Rph left the OTC area they had to close the pharmacy.

I would be very curious which statute requires this as I have never come across that.

Just sharing in case you have not heard, if you drink coffee liquid to get energy to work, can you try coffee pill to get energy? meaning: Caffeine pill. They work wonder for me and many others to get energy and survive the pharmacy heavy work schedule.
We can buy Caffeine pill anywhere without prescription, often, they are next to sleeping pill at supermarket, gas stations, drugs stores...(Brand name Vivarin or Nodoz are most popular but I tried and liked Jet Alert brand from Walmart, 3 cents a day for coffee, saved a lot of money, survived on it for over 8 years so far....) Hope this news helps someone out there...especially since you are Medical Student...you might benefit from this secret, survive medical school on student budget and come back to help others....

(Seeing that you are Medical Student, I believe you are smart to self treat depending on your clinical diagnosis, I will not cross line by discussing treatment.)

And yes, I agree with others:
If you are alone as pharmacist and you have diarrhea, ask for a supervisor from the store to watch pharmacy then go to restroom.

We are both in FL. :)
How would you interpret this?

(b) The pharmacy department of any permittee shall be considered closed whenever a Florida licensed pharmacist is not present and on duty. The term "not present and on duty" shall not be construed to prevent a pharmacist from exiting the prescription department for the purposes of consulting or responding to inquiries or providing assistance to patients or customers, attending to personal hygiene needs, or performing any other function for which the pharmacist is responsible, provided that such activities are conducted in a manner consistent with the pharmacist's responsibility to provide pharmacy services.

So the above does not include the pharmacist needing to defacate.

I suppose so. I don't see why such a big deal has been made about it by DMs in the past.

I suppose so. I don't see why such a big deal has been made about it by DMs in the past.

What if the only toilet on premisses is out of order and the nearest restroom is next door?

This actually happened. But our DM was upset with the pharmacist for closing the pharmacy to run next door and use the restroom. Apparently he got some complaints from customers.

Laws change. Perhaps in his day the law was that the pharmacy had to close. Or his understanding of the law was flawed to begin with. Or who knows, maybe it was more company policy than state law?

People rarely keep their knowledge up to date. Pretty much every pharmacists in my district tell people to separate live vaccines and inactive vaccines by 4 weeks. Why? Because that is what they were taught (I would guess).

Yea. Must be that company policy is more strict then the state law.

What if the only toilet on premisses is out of order and the nearest restroom is next door?

This actually happened. But our DM was upset with the pharmacist for closing the pharmacy to run next door and use the restroom. Apparently he got some complaints from customers.
Then if they left they would not be on the pharmacy vicinity?

haha the answer is close the pharmacy and use restroom. but better answer is to do a residency.

call the manager to come watch the pharmacy then excuse yourself, take your damn time and make those bitches wait. ALWAYS put yourself first.

haha the answer is close the pharmacy and use restroom. but better answer is to do a residency.

People who do residencies never get diarrhea??? That is a benefit of residency that I'd never heard of...I'll have to reconsider my whole "down on residency" outlook.

thats so stupid, you dont have to close down the pharmacy, there are other employees in the store, call of one their asses over to watch the pharmacy then excuse yourself, i hate it when people that think they are all high and mighty just because they work for a hospital or did a residency or two. bitch, you aint better!

thats so stupid, you dont have to close down the pharmacy, there are other employees in the store, call of one their asses over to watch the pharmacy then excuse yourself, i hate it when people that think they are all high and mighty just because they work for a hospital or did a residency or two. bitch, you aint better!

Don't some states have a prohibition on people without licenses being in the pharmacy? HIPAA training is also lacking with non-pharmacy staff. While you're in the bathroom, someone could easily screw up and reveal some PHI.

it has never happened to me, but i would have them watch OUTSIDE the pharmacy just to make sure that no one jumps over the counter and steal stuff. they dont have to be INSIDE the pharmacy. also all managers or assistant mangers are trained to be in the pharmacy and have the necessary licenses. honestly, if you are by yourself, chances are your store is normally pretty slow. if you go to the pharmacy for 10 minutes while a cashier stands outside, IF the manager somehow doesnt show up in the pharmacy and help you, no one is gonna get hurt

i dont know how some retail pharmacists never use the bathroom, during a 8 hour shift (with a 30 min lunch in between), i use the bathroom at least 3x.

How would you interpret this?

(b) The pharmacy department of any permittee shall be considered closed whenever a Florida licensed pharmacist is not present and on duty. The term "not present and on duty" shall not be construed to prevent a pharmacist from exiting the prescription department for the purposes of consulting or responding to inquiries or providing assistance to patients or customers, attending to personal hygiene needs, or performing any other function for which the pharmacist is responsible, provided that such activities are conducted in a manner consistent with the pharmacist's responsibility to provide pharmacy services.

So the above does not include the pharmacist needing to defacate.

In New York that means feeding the parking meter too.