What is a decent pharmacist salary/wage?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

christy101

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What would be a reasonable starting salary per hour for a recent graduate as an independent retail pharmacist?

Members don't see this ad.

I think retail should pay at least 100k, whether it's independent or not. That would amount to somewhere around 50ish an hour? I'm too lazy to do the exact math. Good luck and congrats. If you're negotiating a salary, I would look up the average salary for the area you're applying to because the numbers vary by region. You probably know that already, but just reminding you haha. If they ask you in an interview how much you want to start at, negotiate to the average or a little higher. If they negotiate it below the average, ask for bonuses or more vacation days etc. You want to also pay off your debt asap, so even if you're making 6 figs out of school, try to live frugally and pay that debt off. You'll thank yourself for it. Honestly, if you're single and living in a cheapish apartment (or better yet, live with the parentals for a couple years if they don't want to kick you out already), you generally won't need to use more than 30k to live a comfortable life. Lots of people out of undergrad get lab jobs and they pay around 36k, and they're doing alright. You'll throw all the money you can into paying back loans, and in a few years, you'll be debt free. Then you have the opportunities to start investing in mutual funds or whatever you want, and start writing down payments for houses, cars, etc. Good luck

@msweph 10k more from what salary? Do you know how much pharmacists make with seniority?

Members don't see this ad :)
You can start by checking out salary.com. eg. The 50th percentile for retail pharmacist is $119k in Austin, Tx. I would probably ask for the local median even with zero experience. They might tell you to take it or leave it knowing you have no real leverage, but it doesn't hurt to ask for what's within reason. You don't want to second guess whether you sold your self short.

Last edited:
You can start by checking out salary.com. eg. The 50th percentile for retail pharmacist is $119k in Austin, Tx. I would probably ask for the local median even with zero experience. They might tell you to take it or leave it knowing you have no real leverage, but it doesn't hurt to ask for what's within reason. You don't want to second guess whether you sold your self short.

and when you do ask...., don't just show up and ask for money. Be ready to defend why you are worth more... (previous intern experience, made positive impacts to store. bi-lingual, willing to work in a location further out or a store nobody wants, real leadership experience like military, etc).

Reactions: 2 users
And make sure you have the job offer, before you start asking for more money.