What is a fair asking starting wage/salary for new grad retail RPh?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BPharmD2011

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am going for an interview tomorrow for a retail RPh position and I am thinking they may ask me what salary/wage I expect?

I don't want to overshoot but I also don't want to undershoot, either. I graduated this year, and have had no previous experience being an RPh in retail, so I don't really have any previous salary/wage figures to go by and was hoping some of you may be able to help me out.

I am in Ohio and originally applied for a floater position online, but when I called the DM to follow up, he made it sound like they were hiring several new RPhs, so it may be for a floater or it may be for a permanent position. I'm not sure how or if this would affect my wage, but I'd really appreciate any insight. Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed with 6 places before I took my current job and wage/salary was never discussed in the initial interview. After the position was offered, salary was discussed. It is an employer's market, there is not much room for negotiation, most likely they will offer going market rate, they want you to be happy and not jump ship the first chance you get. All my interviews were hospital and managed care companies but I would think this applies to retail as well.

I interviewed with 6 places before I took my current job and wage/salary was never discussed in the initial interview. After the position was offered, salary was discussed. It is an employer's market, there is not much room for negotiation, most likely they will offer going market rate, they want you to be happy and not jump ship the first chance you get. All my interviews were hospital and managed care companies but I would think this applies to retail as well.

Thank you so much for your input. I really appreciate it. :) It does make sense that it wouldn't come up until I am hired for sure so I am probably getting ahead of myself. I would prefer that anyway so I'm not put on the spot. I just didn't want them to spring the question on me and totally be unprepared.

Members don't see this ad :)
B-

Everyone I know that took a retail position this year has been offered minimum 120k (midwest) $130k (SF bay). Don't sell yourself short....

And it is November, have you been looking for work since May?

B-

Everyone I know that took a retail position this year has been offered minimum 120k (midwest) $130k (SF bay). Don't sell yourself short....

Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it very much.
I knew a few starting wages of other people in my class but the few I knew had been with their retail employers for 4+ years as techs/interns and some were going out of state so I wasn't sure if I could expect pay like that.

No, I haven't been looking since May, I started looking when I knew I passed the boards in August. It was a really foolish thing to do to wait like I did, but I didn't want the added pressure of passing the NAPLEX for my employer and the thought of not passing and then having to tell them I didn't pass was really stressful to me. Of course, I did pass and I did fine... I don't know what I was was fussing about. Hindsight is always 20/20.

Truth be told, I probably caused myself even MORE stress from not having a job and just, well, feeling plain crappy about myself since I wasn't able to get a job nearly as quickly as I had hoped I would.

I'm just happy this retail opportunity came along. I also have another position as a home infusion pharmacist I'm hoping to hear about next week and a recruiter recently contacted me about some pharmacy jobs available out of state (though I'm not in a financial position to really pursue that at the moment - but he told me to contact him if I change my mind), so all in all, I'm hoping something will work out. :)

Again, I really do appreciate your insight.

B-

Not a retail rph but in my area pay is considerably lower based on bureau of labor and statistics data and word on the street. Very geographically dependent. Also consider benefit package as well.

To the people responding: could you be more accurate in terms of geographical locations? Just out of pure curiosity.

PumpkinSmasher,

Can you shed some insight into how the managed care interviews went?

Does it seem to be an employer's market in that arena as well?

Has the pay been comparable to hospital?

Thanks!

Salary in retail Pharmacy is rarely ever negotiable. Even at the height of the shortage in 2004 salaries were set and market based. Most corp retail chains have a pay scale that is set yearly and adjusted based on the market throughout the year if neccesary. The only negotiation I have seen is with vacation and sign on bonuses. In todays market I would be glad to have a job offer. You are not going to have to worry about a sign on bonus because there are none. Your salary and vacation will be set.

Salary in retail Pharmacy is rarely ever negotiable. Even at the height of the shortage in 2004 salaries were set and market based. Most corp retail chains have a pay scale that is set yearly and adjusted based on the market throughout the year if neccesary. The only negotiation I have seen is with vacation and sign on bonuses. In todays market I would be glad to have a job offer. You are not going to have to worry about a sign on bonus because there are none. Your salary and vacation will be set.

Many thanks to you and the others who have posted and provided additional insight. Prior to my interview, I didn't realize that a salary in retail is set the way it is (though that's probably obvious, since I made this thread :p). Without me even asking, my interviewer explained it during my interview, but it's good you put it here for others who may be wondering/may not know.

I was certainly grateful for the interview and I think it went well so.... :xf:

Many thanks to you and the others who have posted and provided additional insight. Prior to my interview, I didn't realize that a salary in retail is set the way it is (though that's probably obvious, since I made this thread :p). Without me even asking, my interviewer explained it during my interview, but it's good you put it here for others who may be wondering/may not know.

I was certainly grateful for the interview and I think it went well so.... :xf:

Let us know what you find out.:thumbup:

That's right. Negotiate on the PTO days and sign-on bonus if you can. Ask around to see what they are paying other new pharmacists! g'luck to you.

Good to hear the interview went well.

Let us know how it turns out. Good luck!