What is a good first semester freshman year GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JoyKim456

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would a 3.7 be good?

Members don't see this ad.

a 3.7 is fine.

go shadow
go volunteer

both of these are serious. set up something regular. even if it's only a few hours once a month. if you did that all school year long, you'd have "enough" hours for the general recommendation of 50 hrs of shadowing.

that doesn't mean you can just stop once you hit 50, but it just goes to show that if you start now, it will look much more genuine and be much easier on your schedule than trying to fit 50 hours in during your junior year when classes are much harder

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed. If you don't have this, you need a gap year to recuperate
Don't forget about a publication in Nature or New England Journal of Medicine during the gap year.

On a serious note, try your best. I would say shoot for >3.8.

On a serious note, try your best. I would say shoot for >3.8.
Depends where you are, honestly. Some places, 4.0 is cake. Some places, getting an A as a freshman makes you the jealous of everyone's moms and grandmas.

There is no such thing as target freshman GPA. You get what you get in your classes based on your effort and habits. I suggest you always try hard to reach 4.0 (all A's). Don't think even for a second that "I have 4 A's so I can slack off in this class and get a B+ so my cGPA is 3.8". Wrong attitude especially because classes will get significantly harder as you move up and your GPA will progressively go down.

Reactions: 1 users
There is no such thing as target freshman GPA. You get what you get in your classes based on your effort and habits. I suggest you always try hard to reach 4.0 (all A's). Don't think even for a second that "I have 4 A's so I can slack off in this class and get a B+ so my cGPA is 3.8". Wrong attitude especially because classes will get significantly harder as you move up and your GPA will progressively go down.
Or progressively go up as you gun harder ;)

Or progressively go up as you gun harder ;)
You sound very brown (indian), correct me if I am wrong, from the other posts I have read. Your witty responses and superior personality seem to rub that way on me atleast

You sound very brown (indian), correct me if I am wrong, from the other posts I have read. Your witty responses and superior personality seem to rub that way on me atleast
<------ I am a green creature who likes colorful lollipops. Isn't that obvious?

I think I guess what you guys are saying. But I don't think my classes will get harder. I can tackle any science class because I love science. I am taking writing this semester >( ME NO LIKE WRITING!!

I think I guess what you guys are saying. But I don't think my classes will get harder. I can tackle any science class because I love science. I am taking writing this semester >( ME NO LIKE WRITING!!
your classes WILL get harder. the sooner you start respecting that, the more you will learn.

@baxt1412 Difficulty is relative. Just because it got harder for you does not mean it got harder for other people. People said AP Chemistry WILL be hard, but it was a breeze for me.

Furthermore, difficulty is the ability to handle. As I move to UD courses, my ability will also increase.

A 3.7 is very good, but you should be prepared for classes to get progressively more difficult. That's great that you have an easy time with science classes - that will definitely help as you move through Organic and Physics. However, writing is a skill that you will need for quite a few upper-level classes. Research methods, psych/sociology papers, etc. I wrote papers for many of my science classes as well (Behavioral Neuro, Genetics). Whatever is keeping you from getting those straight A's now is something you should actively work on improving,

Trust me when I say they will get harder. The reason may not be the actual class if you are a genius but other things that eat away your time (i.e. research, volunteering, shadowing, clubs, bars/parties/movies with friends, study for mcat, senioritis....list goes on)

Meh I don't know that it necessarily always gets harder. I'm having an easier time sophomore year than freshman year. The material in intro bio last year was a breeze but it was near impossible to get an A since the material was so easy and the class was full of premeds. (And I'm in Orgo II right now.)

M6quz.jpg

Probably should just make sure to not go below 3.7 going foward