What is a normal course load/ units that med schools expect?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boba96

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning to take 14 units this quarter as a 2nd year to make room for research and clubs. However, I see most of my peers taking on 16 or 18 units. Is 14 units considered too little to med school adcoms and would raise concerns? I mean, what is the average/acceptable units that an applicant should take on? I feel like 14 units seems very little to my fellow peers. How do others see it? I would appreciate any help I can get :) Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

As long as you're filling your time well, I don't think it's a problem. It'd be a different story if you were taking 14 credits and...that's it.

Are you doings other activities, research, a job, taking care of your family, or something otherwise useful with your time?

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you doings other activities, research, a job, taking care of your family, or something otherwise useful with your time?

OP did say that they're taking less credits to make room for research and clubs.

im taking 8 units of science courses right now since I have work, but next semester, I am going to try to take 19-20 units to push through it. So it all depends on how well you know yourself and seeing if you can handle the load of 3-4 science classes with labs.

Create a schedule that you know you can handle and FOLLOW. I say perseverance and consistency is key.

OP did say that they're taking less credits to make room for research and clubs.
Really depends on what OP means by that. You shouldn't have to drop units to just take part in a few clubs, or even to run a club for the most part. Again for research it matters on how much, do you really need to drop your class load to work 4hrs/wk? Probably not. But if you are putting good work into whatever activity you're doing, then dropping a class load makes more sense.

Reactions: 1 user
Really depends on what OP means by that. You shouldn't have to drop units to just take part in a few clubs, or even to run a club for the most part. Again for research it matters on how much, do you really need to drop your class load to work 4hrs/wk? Probably not. But if you are putting good work into whatever activity you're doing, then dropping a class load makes more sense.

I agree. Cutting into academics is fine, but you should be doing something productive. Being in clubs doesn't qualify.

I am planning to take 14 units this quarter as a 2nd year to make room for research and clubs. However, I see most of my peers taking on 16 or 18 units. Is 14 units considered too little to med school adcoms and would raise concerns? I mean, what is the average/acceptable units that an applicant should take on? I feel like 14 units seems very little to my fellow peers. How do others see it? I would appreciate any help I can get :) Thank you!
As long as you've got 12+ credits, they won't care. Unless it's like, five straight semesters of underwater basket weaving.

Reactions: 1 user