What is a problem in pharmacy now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sarah44

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
And how do you fix it?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

Lower admission standards leading to an influx of unmotivated and untalented new young people into the field.

Solution: enact stricter accreditation requirements for schools and practitioners.

The problem: Too many people entering the profession without sufficient understanding of it. How do you fix it? Depends on who you think it's acceptable to place the responsibility on. Currently, no one's really taking responsibility. If everyone were responsible, then those considering pharmacy as a future carreer should really research the current state and direction of the profession before applying and committing to something they don't understand. And newer pharmacy schools would stop opening up and lowering the standards. And ACPE would be stricter with accreditation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Too many people are graduating without having the basic skills that they would get from having a bachelors degree. AACP should require a BS degree before students begin their P1 year. Pharmacy is the only doctorate program that allows entry without a degree.

Reactions: 1 user
Too many people are graduating without having the basic skills that they would get from having a bachelors degree. AACP should require a BS degree before students begin their P1 year. Pharmacy is the only doctorate program that allows entry without a degree.

Yah, it would make such a huge difference if I had my bachelors. That fourth Spanish class, social insects and nutrition class would make such a huge difference in my "skills". Get over yourself.

And I have no proof, but I've been told that several (some?) medical schools don't require a bachelors.

Yah, it would make such a huge difference if I had my bachelors. That fourth Spanish class, social insects and nutrition class would make such a huge difference in my "skills". Get over yourself.
And I have no proof, but I've been told that several (some?) medical schools don't require a bachelors.

Good point, pharmacy is hardly the only doctorate degree that is given out without a bachelors (although honestly, you would have to be extraordinarily exceptional to get accepted to medical school without a bachelor's degree)

Students using us to do their homework for them.

Reactions: 8 users
Pharmacists usually make between $90k and $120k - not all that attractive when you add up loans from undergrad as well as a Pharm.D.

It's stupid to say it's not attractive salary. You're making 60-70/hour in a decent environment and if you're smart will less than 100k in loans.

Biggest problem? Too many crybabies and too much infighting

Reactions: 1 users
If any more schools try to open in your individual states, protest like nobody's business.

It's your job on the line. Students with a SSN and the ability to sign a dotted line are cash cows, and many of the grads they put out are poor quality. Each time I hear there's a dropout due to poor academics, I say good riddance. They were probably going to kill someone anyways.

To the people complaining about the new NAPLEX being harder, I say maybe you aren't competent enough to be a pharmacist just yet. (Sidenote: I haven't taken it, but if I were to somehow fail, then that's on me.)

We need more jobs and less subpar for-profit schools. Low quality for-profit private schools will be the death of any respectable profession (== leukemia??) . I'd say nuke them from orbit if I had my way.

A hard limit on the number of schools per state, per population with strict standards. More laws mandating pharmacist role in healthcare that involves medication use in any form. That would be a start.

Get rid of for profit schools. Any student who attends those schools and rack up $350000 in loans its on them.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Actually from someone that has a BS in molecular Biology, the advanced chemistry and Biology I took gave me a pretty big edge in school. I suppose your argument is akin to allowing people to begin medical school with just an AA... And as you stated, some schools do not require a BS before medical school. Usually those schools take only top students within a program (a bridge program set up to allow the transition) set up specifically to be accepted into MD school.