What is an appropriate answer to "why this school" in med school interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boltedbicorne

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
A lot of these schools can be really similar and have nearly the same opportunities. Is talking about the curriculum, the level 1 trauma center, some of the research they have (most schools do research in the exact same stuff), and the area like they're unique enough? what becomes convincing? this is probably one of the more important interview questions.

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't. That answer won't make you memorable, because it is exactly what most applicants would say. I think the best answer would mention some of those specific things, and then relate back to your experiences and why that particular thing is appealing to you.

Example 1: "[...] and I really like your international program." At the adcom meeting, they will ask your interviewer why you're a good fit for the school, and can you imagine him saying "well she likes our international program."?

Example 2: "I am very interested in your international program, since I lived in ___ for a year and had a chance to participate in x, y, z. I would like to return there during or after medical school to continue this work and maybe even do research on ___ which I found intriguing, etc". Now the adcom asks the interviewer why you're a good fit, and he says "well she is likely to take advantage of our international program, she lived in ___ and wants to do an elective there etc".

Anyways, I have no idea what they talk about in the adcom meetings, but something specific to your candidacy will surely be better than a generic answer.

Reactions: 1 user
I think it'd be helpful if you found similar essays online and see how others structured it.

One thing I typically hear is that you shouldn't focus on how convenient the school is for your with respect to your specific interests, but rather emphasize your fit to the school's program/curriculum/unique opportunities. It is just another way to show your characteristics/personality/experiences in other words.

The other thing I hear is that it is a way you can designate to the school how you can contribute to their medical community through the opportunities they provide. As I said, looking at other people's entries in the past should give you a good idea about the content. Bestest of luck!