What is an average day for you curent pod students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc_Z

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could you guys and gals breakdown what an average day or week for you is like in your program.

I am in the middle of deciding what I want to do and one thing that worries me about podiatry school is that I will not get to spend time with my fiance. We want to have children in the near future. I am worried for the next 7 yrs I will be so bogged down in school I will miss out on a lot.

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

If someone is important, you will make time for them.

As long as you don't procrastinate and have a good routine, you should have ample free time during the first two years. The latter two years will be busier but after that you have the option to go to a residency that is less intense and will afford you more free time. However, the trade off with that is that a really relaxed program might not necessarily prepare you well for an advanced surgical practice and will instead lead to more bread and butter work and an emphasis on clinic instead.

Members don't see this ad :)
Could you guys and gals breakdown what an average day or week for you is like in your program.

I am in the middle of deciding what I want to do and one thing that worries me about podiatry school is that I will not get to spend time with my fiance. We want to have children in the near future. I am worried for the next 7 yrs I will be so bogged down in school I will miss out on a lot.

Thanks!!

Most of your time would be committed to school. Yes, you will miss a lot, but consider that the majority of the childhood your kids will remember is after your training has been completed. Hopefully your fiancée can compensate for your limited time investment into your kids during those years. As for you fiancée herself, you have to work anyway, but podiatry would likely be more rewarding and fulfilling than many other professions if it's a good fit for you. If you want an easier track to make money, go into business, which embodies a lot of what's wrong with this country.

Still interested in hearing what you pod students days are like..

Reactions: 1 user
I'll bite. I am just at the tail end of my first year. Toward the beginning of the quarter I will go to most of the classes. So 8:00 - 2:00 or 3:00. Come home, study for a few hours until maybe 6:00. I make dinner and watch an episode of House or something. Start studying again at 7:30ish until I head to bed at 11:00 or so. That is generally during the week. On the weekend it is generally straight studying with a lunch break and dinner break. Done by 7:00 or 8:00. This works well towards the beginning for me, as there tended to be only 1 or 2 tests a week at the beginning. As the quarter wears on, I will not go to class as much (I don't get a whole lot out of it anyways), and basically study daily like I do on the weekends. Study straight through.

I still find as much time as I can muster for my dogs and significant other. Not as much as I like, but I seemed to have reached a happy medium. Well, happy for me at least. It took me a while to find a decent medium. If I took more time out of having a life, I would be doing much better in class, but my balance leaves me with decent grades, and a generally happy significant other. After I found the best way for me to study, it all kind of fell into place.

Reactions: 2 users
I'll bite. I am just at the tail end of my first year. Toward the beginning of the quarter I will go to most of the classes. So 8:00 - 2:00 or 3:00. Come home, study for a few hours until maybe 6:00. I make dinner and watch an episode of House or something. Start studying again at 7:30ish until I head to bed at 11:00 or so. That is generally during the week. On the weekend it is generally straight studying with a lunch break and dinner break. Done by 7:00 or 8:00. This works well towards the beginning for me, as there tended to be only 1 or 2 tests a week at the beginning. As the quarter wears on, I will not go to class as much (I don't get a whole lot out of it anyways), and basically study daily like I do on the weekends. Study straight through.

I still find as much time as I can muster for my dogs and significant other. Not as much as I like, but I seemed to have reached a happy medium. Well, happy for me at least. It took me a while to find a decent medium. If I took more time out of having a life, I would be doing much better in class, but my balance leaves me with decent grades, and a generally happy significant other. After I found the best way for me to study, it all kind of fell into place.

See this scares me lol I like to lift at least 5x a week (competitive bodybuilder but will not compete while in school obviously, just can not imagine stopping compeltely). Also like to spend time with my to be fiancee and our dog. I know it is a commitment but is studying sun up til bed really necessary?

I could drop the training down to 3-4x a week no problem.

Last edited:
Everyone is going to be different. Some people study around the clock. Some seem to not study much at all (I think they lied about how much they studied). Regardless we had a lot of athletes in my class. There is time to balance things for most people. I was able to have some free time. But I also had to study quite a bit. There were plenty of weekends that I did not leave my apartment...

See this scares me lol I like to lift at least 5x a week (competitive bodybuilder but will not compete while in school obviously, just can not imagine stopping compeltely). Also like to spend time with my to be fiancee and our dog. I know it is a commitment but is studying sun up til bed really necessary?

I could drop the training down to 3-4x a week no problem.

People set up their schedule to whatever they feel is best for them. Many have different priorities. Some choose school as their number one priority and some choose family life. Sounds like you know what your priorities are so make a schedule where you can find a happy medium. If you want to lift 5x/week then make it a priority to do so. If you want to spend time with your girl and dog then make time to do so. All you need is the desire to make things work, for both your career and your personal life. This is a challenge you will face not just while you're in school but also throughout the rest of your career. Do you have to study from sun up till bed? Who knows? How dedicated are you to your academics on top of your other priorities?

Pain and suffering is temporary, gpa is forever.

Reactions: 6 users
You need to set priorities. While lifting 3-4 times sounds like it's important. Something has to give, because time is short. You need to make school at the top, or else it's going to be a long hard road that is destine for failure.
Like others have said, this is a sort time in your life. Learn all you can and become the best doctor you can. Medicine is a life time of learning and you will get out what you put in.