What is considered economically disadvanged?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smithy007

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is considered to be economically disadvantaged? I lived an affluent life until my dad walked out when I was a teenager. This left my mom working two minimum wage jobs to make ends meet. My first car was so old it suffered from tire rot and we did not have any money to fix the water boiler so cold showers were a fact of life. Does this sound like it would be considered economically disadvantaged to you?

Members don't see this ad.

What is considered to be economically disadvantaged? I lived an affluent life until my dad walked out when I was a teenager. This left my mom working two minimum wage jobs to make ends meet. My first car was so old it suffered from tire rot and we did not have any money to fix the water boiler so cold showers were a fact of life. Does this sound like it would be considered economically disadvantaged to you?

AMCAS asks for average household income from 0-18. If you average it out and come up with a number less than the federal poverty line, maybe you could make the case.

I think you'll have a hard time making the case if you can describe any part of your childhood as "affluent."

People who are not poor also drive old cars with rotted tires.

If you do apply as a disadvantaged student, don't describe your situation this way. It sounds like you're fishing for sympathy.

Members don't see this ad :)
I found this on the Medical College of Wisconsin's Website. I don't know if other schools follow this or not or what MCW uses it for.

http://www.mcw.edu/medicalschool/finaidDisadvantaged.htm

Don't lie about this. A lot of schools ask for all kinds of financial information when you are accepted. I have seen very little evidence that putting this down helps you in any way in admissions.

Last edited: