What is COT like in summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ghammond19

Pre-Mature Dental Student
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to know everyone's experience doing the month of COT before school started?

Members don't see this ad.

What's this COT business? Is that was the Chair Force calls Officer Basic (OBLC)?

Members don't see this ad :)
hot and humid glorious waste of time. It's not as club med as the army/navy folks make it out to be. and never ever volunteer to be anything but the photo officer.

Yea that's basically right. It gets to be extremely hot and humid. You'll love Black flag days. and no its not club med at all, in fact, one of my buddies in the Navy said that's more Club Med than any of them..i think they hold it in Newport or something which, from what he said, is like being at a country club haha..I found it pretty funny... but yea COT, its a lot of very early mornings and even later nights. You'll get very used to not sleeping. And I agree...your best bet is to fly under the radar...do your best not to volunteer for anything b/c it doesnt really get you anywhere. Oh..and always know what time it is.

how much/far do we run? I "forgot" to inform anyone that I have exercise-induced asthma. The only time I have EVER had a problem with it was back in my basketball days where we would run for hours....

how much/far do we run? I "forgot" to inform anyone that I have exercise-induced asthma. The only time I have EVER had a problem with it was back in my basketball days where we would run for hours....

Well if it is humid out, you wont have a problem with your asthma.

you'll do a fair amount of running..I dont think they make you run every morning but it is fairly often. They also have a 5K run a few weeks in and you have to run 1.5 miles at your PFB and PFA...the PFA is your final physical test. It's not too bad really. Plus, summer mornings in Alabama arent really hot or humid..they're pretty comfortable. It's once it gets to about 1PM that it starts to get miserable.

I went to USAF COT a few years ago (I was an MSC officer in the AF reserves).

Exercise was in the morning before it gets super hot, but it's still humid. For runs we just ran for about 30 minutes around the track. To get qualified, it's a 1.5 mile run done in a certain amount of time that is age-determined.

Alabama is hot and soggy, but really, 90% of your time is sitting in an air conditioned classroom.

Hopefully your asthma doesn't kick in, or they'll show you the door.

Good luck.

yeah, that's what I am hoping for! I'm a girl... so I do have a little more slack on the running. I can already run for 25 minutes at a 9 min pace without a problem. I think I should be fine. It was just always those darn sprints at the end of practice that got me.

hot and humid glorious waste of time. It's not as club med as the army/navy folks make it out to be. and never ever volunteer to be anything but the photo officer.

hahaha

That is hilarious! I got the same info and was the photo officer! It still kinda sucked. Cot freaking sucks. The first week is terrible. But the it get ok......really boring, bring tons of redbulls or rockstars

do u guys think it's best to purchase all of the required uniforms before arriving at COT? B/c i think I read on the COT website that you can purchase the stuff there too.....

do u guys think it's best to purchase all of the required uniforms before arriving at COT? B/c i think I read on the COT website that you can purchase the stuff there too.....

My recruiter told me not to..but honestly I was sorry that I didnt. If you can get your BDU's w/ your name already on them, boots, etc. you will be thankful you did. If you dont, you'll spend 5 hrs in AAFES running around like a bunch of chickens with their heads cut off. I dont think anyone got their blues before hand b/c those usually get altered while at base. But yea..the BDU's will def. be good to get ahead of time if you can pull it off.