What is it like to work in an AMC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

therapist89

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

As a rising college junior, I didn't really know about academic medical centers until joining SDN and reading through threads. I was wondering if anyone could please provide perspective on what it is like to work in an AMC: the benefits and challenges, the preparation it takes to get there, what it's like conducting research/doing clinical work, and it how it compares to going straight into academia or working at a CMHC/in private practice.

I apologize if there is already a thread on this and would love to read past posts on this topic if anyone knows of any (I tried to search but only found tangentially related posts.) As I learn more about Clinical Psych a position that would integrate research/academia in a more applied setting sounds appealing to me; however, I may be ignorant of what working in an AMC is actually like and thus would appreciate any feedback. Thank you for your time.

Members don't see this ad.