What is MBBS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prsndwg

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDNers,

I have a cousin who is getting his MBBS from China. What is it? What is the next step for him if he wants to transfer here to US? extra courses, etc?

I have no clue of it. Can anyone give me some info please.

Members don't see this ad.

If he wants to practice in US, then he must first complete his medical school in China with house job (residency) in China. Then he can take USMLE step 1 and then Step 2 and apply for visa to take step 2 CS during which he can apply to residency programs that take international candidates and hopes that he got hooked up to any residency before visa expires !

otherwise, for transfer, i dont think it hapens. I think he needs to do bachelors (some credits) as other can be transferred thorugh world education service and then take the MCAT and apply like normal people. I may be wrong

Members don't see this ad :)
I've read somewhere that Carib med schools also grant mbbs degree and you have to go through this process to convert to MD (not including the 2 different residencies part though)

Is this true at all?

An MBBS doesn't "convert to an MD", people with it are entitled to use the title of MD. The only Caribbean MBBS is from UWI. The MD is a research degree in most of the world where as the MBBS is an undergrad degree. It stands for bachelors of medicine and surgery. It may alternatively be styled as MBBCh. chirgugiae being Latin for surgery or in Ireland be a MBBChAO, bachelors of medicine, surgery and the art of obstetrics.

how much does it cost to apply to residency here in US?

An MBBS doesn't "convert to an MD", people with it are entitled to use the title of MD. The only Caribbean MBBS is from UWI. The MD is a research degree in most of the world where as the MBBS is an undergrad degree. It stands for bachelors of medicine and surgery. It may alternatively be styled as MBBCh. chirgugiae being Latin for surgery or in Ireland be a MBBChAO, bachelors of medicine, surgery and the art of obstetrics.

This was correct however I heard that recently, many hospitals, and a possible new US bill may change this. It was in a news article I read about 1 month ago... It said that many hospitals and this new bill will require physicians to display their actual degree. MBBS etc, will no longer be allowed to use MD unless they received an MD degree from a granting institution. Soon physicians throughout the US will have to display MBBS if that is their degree. Be prepared for hospitals to have MDs, DOs, and MBBSs...

This was correct however I heard that recently, many hospitals, and a possible new US bill may change this. It was in a news article I read about 1 month ago... It said that many hospitals and this new bill will require physicians to display their actual degree. MBBS etc, will no longer be allowed to use MD unless they received an MD degree from a granting institution. Soon physicians throughout the US will have to display MBBS if that is their degree. Be prepared for hospitals to have MDs, DOs, and MBBSs...
In my local hospital there are a couple of doctors who are trained in India and they write MD with there name. I thought that they do some course work and get MBBS degree connverted to MD.
If you are correct then a foriegn degree MBBS is called MD and is thought to be superior then a D.O. ( no fight on MD> DO plesae, it is what most of the people in the society feels) MBBS is completed after high school and MD/DO is after completing college.
MD = MBBS > DO

In my local hospital there are a couple of doctors who are trained in India and they write MD with there name. I thought that they do some course work and get MBBS degree connverted to MD.
If you are correct then a foriegn degree MBBS is called MD and is thought to be superior then a D.O. ( no fight on MD> DO plesae, it is what most of the people in the society feels) MBBS is completed after high school and MD/DO is after completing college.
MD = MBBS > DO

To practice in the US, MD = DO (US DO graduate that is...) =MBBS :)

I believe that MBBS will no longer be converted to MD.

Cheers!

Last edited:
What used to be this: :corny:
Is now this: :bang:

At the hospital that I work at (Top 20 Research Hospital). Each physician is labeled with his or her earned degree. If it is DO, MBBS, MD that on the white coat/name badge/directory.

To practice in the US, MD = DO (US DO graduate that is...) =MBBS :)

I believe that MBBS will no longer be converted to MD.

Cheers!
MBBS you can do after high school and I believe it is 5 year course.
MD/DO are done after college and they are 4 year duration.
so MBBS saves you time and it is eqivalent to MD as any MBBS wrire MD. Why they do not write DO?

In almost every country save for the US and Canada, the MD is a post-graduate academic degree analogous to a Ph.D.

MD = MBBS > DO

Just out of curiosity, where did you learn this crap?

I may provide you with much legit information as I have three sisters who have MBBS from Pakistan and now practicing medicine in US as an MD. Their white coat/scrubs all says MD and not MBBS !

For ALL MBBS to convert to practice medicine in US, they need to take:

- USMLE Step 1 and Step 2 which are also administered internationally.
- After their scores come, they apply for visa (if they don't have) to go to US and take Step to CS Exam.
- As their visa is of a limited no. of months, these international students try to find internship which could convert their F1 to HI visa. They also start applying to different residency programs during that time so that as soon as their visa expires, they can hook up to a new visa by the residency hospital.

Atleast, this is how my sisters got in. One is in Family Med/Hospitalist, other is in IM, and last one is in OB/GYN.

PS: I haven't heard that 'MBBS is no longer being converted to MD'. There may be rumours but its actually a huge step as some of the great physicians/surgeons in US are MBBS/FMG

so MBBS saves you time and it is eqivalent to MD as any MBBS wrire MD. Why they do not write DO?

Because neither of them have taken courses in osteopathic manipulative treatment.

I may provide you with much legit information as I have three sisters who have MBBS from Pakistan and now practicing medicine in US as an MD. Their white coat/scrubs all says MD and not MBBS !

- After their scores come, they apply for visa (if they don't have) to go to US and take Step to CS Exam.
- As their visa is of a limited no. of months, these international students try to find internship which could convert their F1 to HI visa. They also start applying to different residency programs during that time so that as soon as their visa expires, they can hook up to a new visa by the residency hospital.

Atleast, this is how my sisters got in. One is in Family Med/Hospitalist, other is in IM, and last one is in OB/GYN.

PS: I haven't heard that 'MBBS is no longer being converted to MD'. There may be rumours but its actually a huge step as some of the great physicians/surgeons in US are MBBS/FMG

Thanks for letting me know the last bit...from what I've been looking at on residency sites, etc. even if people do the boards, do the residency, because the degree is still MBBS, that's what they would be considered as. But who knows :laugh:

If you are correct then a foriegn degree MBBS is called MD and is thought to be superior then a D.O. (no fight on MD> DO plesae, it is what most of the people in the society feels) MBBS is completed after high school and MD/DO is after completing college.
MD = MBBS > DO

I call bull, have you been through all of society or only sitting in your pre-med throne of knowing it all. I will not start this discussion again as I won't enter this thread again so no response is needed. It's sad that you are applying to a field in which you already feel underappreciated and inadequate. Wait until you get in the field and come back in 10 years when you have some real knowledge of "society."

great info, thank you very much

These are completely different systems of education in different countries. It does not necessarily "save you time". They have a longer secondary education than in the US and some MBBS programs take up to 6 years, so it ends up being about the same.

What is this gibberish you're spouting about DOs as well in your posts?