What is Medical School actually like?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted421268

What is it like??? I always hear people say that is extremely difficult? Grades? Tests? # Subjects a semester?

Members don't see this ad.

Medical school is like high school.
It is hard at different times for different people.
Grades - yes, there are grades.
Tests - yes, there are tests.
# of Subjects a semester varies from medical school to medical school.

Reactions: 1 users
The difference in rigor in undergraduate science classes vs medical school classes? Okay gotcha! Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If med school is like high school, these are the medical specialties...

Jock - orthopedics
Cheerleader - dermatology
Geek - radiology
Nerd - internal medicine
Scene - pediatrics
Goth - pathology
Druggie - anesthesiology
Hipster - family medicine
Etc

Last edited:
Reactions: 29 users
It's kind of like a new pair of underwear. At first it's constrictive.. but after a while it becomes a part of you.

Reactions: 16 users
If I were to compare the volume of material in med school to undergrad, it would go like this. Each lecture hour of medical school covers the same amount of material that you would cover in a week in an upper-level science course in undergrad. They don't hold your hand through it either. During the lecture they will put multiple big long pathways on a single slide and quickly rattle it off to you and you are expected to learn it on your own time. Whereas in undergrad, the professor will walk you through it very slowly and take an entire lecture on one or two pathways. For much of medical school the expectation is that they will tell you the things you should learn, and it is up to you to actually teach it to yourself. The pace of the information coming at you is just very high. Every week feels like finals week from undergrad. It's cliche but it's true. It's not really that bad though. The things you learn are interesting for the most part, and it is rewarding when you figure out how stuff fits together. It's like having a full time job in which you try to stuff loads of new information into your head all day, every day. For some people that can be very mentally exhausting. The vast majority make it through, so if you get in you will be able to handle it.

Reactions: 3 users
Imagine taking one entire undergraduate biology course every two weeks, alongside two other normal-length undergrad courses. That's about how it feels to me.

Reactions: 4 users
The difference in rigor in undergraduate science classes vs medical school classes? Okay gotcha! Thanks!

The difference in difficulty between a med school class and an undergraduate science class is about the same as the difference in difficulty between an undergrad science class and a 2nd grade science class.

I'm guessing that med school grades and step scores will determine residency? Also is everything you learn in med schopl geared towards step exam material?

I'm guessing that med school grades and step scores will determine residency? Also is everything you learn in med schopl geared towards step exam material?

Step 1 is taken after 2nd year and tests the academic material you learn first two years: anatomy, physiology, pathology, diseases, metabolism, etc., as well as stuff like study design and how health care works.

Step 2 CK tests your clinical knowledge; that is, making a differential diagnosis, forming a treatment plan, that kind of thing.
Step 2 CS tests your clinical skills; how you interact with a patient, perform a history and exam, etc.

So, realistically, the board exams test every aspect of medical school in one way or another. So, yeah, everything you learn is geared towards exam material.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, grades and step 1 board scores are everything. (Step 2 and 3 don't matter, just pass it) The first 2 years of med school are the most important for your application to residency, but your 3rd and 4th year (clinical years) need to be solid as well (basically just looking for good performance reviews from your attending and residents).
Med school is tough. Be prepared to memorize huge loads of information and spend hours a day listening to lectures and reading through notes. Tests occur weekly.

You will be tested ad nauseum. The tests will come at you like a relentless assault and will wear you down.

Yes, grades and step 1 board scores are everything. (Step 2 and 3 don't matter, just pass it) The first 2 years of med school are the most important for your application to residency, but your 3rd and 4th year (clinical years) need to be solid as well (basically just looking for good performance reviews from your attending and residents).
Med school is tough. Be prepared to memorize huge loads of information and spend hours a day listening to lectures and reading through notes. Tests occur weekly.
Boards > Third Year > First/Second Year

This is how it works, OP.

Reactions: 5 users
I was looking at WesternU's curriculum and I noticed that for the first semester you take 33 credits. That's about how many credits I took in an entire year of undergrad.

Last edited:
I thought going to a regular ol' large state school, as a hard science major, that the transition wouldn't be as insane as it was. I knew coming in that medical school was going to obviously be difficult in terms of volume, but you can't even imagine how much more volume it is. It makes undergrad feel like elementary school.

In undergrad, I could easily just pay attention in class since I retained a lot from lectures then spend maybe 4 to 8 hours split over the two days prior to the exam reviewing some of the material and that was it. In medical school, I easily have 30 to 45 PowerPoints/lectures per exam for our main exams, while still having practicals and of course the minor block classes to worry about as well.

I was looking at WesternU's curriculum and I noticed that the first semester you take 33 credits. That's about how many credits I took in an entire year of undergrad.

And that's pretty standard. I'm a second year and basic sciences for us this semester are a lump sum of 26.5 credits.

You can't really fall too far behind, and studying is a good chunk of your life, but its also not that bad. Most students are not sleep deprived, most people find time to go out and do other things for fun. It forces you to e more organized.

Reactions: 3 users
I think everyone's experiences will vary widely. I remember walking out of lectures thinking it was the most boring and meaningless hour of my adult life and my friends would be talking about how it was he best lecture we had so far. So even people sitting in the same classroom will have different experiences.

In general I think the volume is more than most are used to, but truthfully not that bad. If you view it like a job and out in hours like a full time professional job, you'll be fine. Some people struggle initially making the transition from undergrad if they haven't worked a job before, but they quickly adjust and find their stride.

Nothing you learn is hard and none of it really beyond the seventh grade level. The issue is that there are 50,000 or so of those things to learn. It's really more an issue of volume than difficulty. As such, falling behind is the cardinal sin and the one you will pay most dearly for. If you stay caught up you'll be fine. You will never feel like you have truly mastered everything; you'll just study all the time and eventually an exam happens. Then ou study something new.

Step exams aren't any fun but like any standardized test are quite beatable. Step 1 is everything. Step 2 is growing in importance and by the time currently entering students get there, will likely be a scrutinized part of residency apps. Step prep is a place where SDN is particularly helpful as there are entire forums devoted to his exams. Spend some time there some day and you'll get a sense of how to prepare.

Overall I had a blast in med school. Every doomsday prediction about how the next part would suck ultimately failed to come true. Even now as a resident, it isn't that bad and actually a lot of fun. Try to focus on the positive and don't dwell on the suckage.

Reactions: 14 users
Imagine taking one entire undergraduate biology course every two weeks, alongside two other normal-length undergrad courses. That's about how it feels to me.

This is how I feel medical school is honestly. It's not the individual classes that kill you because even with the hardest courses it's not impossibly difficult to get a 70. But to continuously pass with Bs or higher wears you down. Like I can genuinely say that doing both MSK & Cardiopulm in two months was painful.

Just gonna copy+paste this pancake analogy because it's quite accurate:

"The best way I have ever heard medical school described is that it is like having to eat five pancakes every day for four years. Wait, what? Let me explain further. On the first day, you show up, and are told that you have to eat five pancakes. No problem! I love pancakes! Five pancakes disappear quickly. (For the purpose of making this realistic, these are fairly small pancakes). The next day you show up again and have five more pancakes to eat. Again, not a problem. This is sustainable. However, and here’s the real punch line, sometimes life happens and you don’t get a chance to eat your five pancakes. When you show up the next day, you have ten pancakes to eat. Ouch. Maybe ten pancakes are doable every once in a while, but what happens when you are two days behind? Now you have fifteen pancakes to eat. If you manage to choke down half of them, you’re still behind and seven or eight pancakes carry over to the next day and you’re still way behind."

Source: http://www.medschoolinsight.com/ <-- not my blog

Reactions: 9 users
Most students are not sleep deprived

Agreed that it's not that bad, but I don't even think this was true in the first two years.

It is most certainly not true of third years. The other med student on my service and I both get ~5hrs/night of sleep. I do not think this is entirely atypical.

Agreed that it's not that bad, but I don't even think this was true in the first two years.

It is most certainly not true of third years. The other med student on my service and I both get ~5hrs/night of sleep. I do not think this is entirely atypical.

I think 5hrs/night is still not 'deprived'. Although I typically get at least 7 every night and 9 at least one day a week.

Take all of human knowledge.

Memorize it, and know how to apply it.

Be prepared to be tested on it on Monday (lab practical on Wed afternoon).

Lol this basically sums it up. Somehow you get through it though

This information is not correct. Step 2 does matter depending on what residency you go into. Your performance 1st and 2nd year are all but obsolete except for step 1, and third year grades are very important to your application. The majority of schools will not test weekly, most schools are actually moving towards concentrating all of their tests at the end of the semester.

5 hrs of sleep a night for a 19 day shift is rough. I can handle it for a week if I get a day I can sleep 10 hours, but I can't maintain it long term without feeling downright awful

Agree with this. Based upon the posts I've seen on SDN and looking at other school's curricula, the most common testing schedules are:

by blocks, every 3-5 weeks (this is how it's done at my school)

OR

mid-term + final

This information is not correct. Step 2 does matter depending on what residency you go into. Your performance 1st and 2nd year are all but obsolete except for step 1, and third year grades are very important to your application. The majority of schools will not test weekly, most schools are actually moving towards concentrating all of their tests at the end of the semester.

I think 5hrs/night is still not 'deprived'. Although I typically get at least 7 every night and 9 at least one day a week.

What are you talking about? 5 hours a night is terrible

Reactions: 21 users
It's just like harry potter except not magical.

Reactions: 8 users
Any medical students care to share how the information they are required to learn is organized?

It seems like most undergraduate teachers I have really don't care much about being systematic and presenting the material in a learning-friendly manner.

Are medical schools concise with the material they expect you to learn? I'm fine with someone telling me I need to learn something and then going to do it on my own, just so long as they don't forget to tell me to learn an entire concept that shows up on a test.

There are no primary sensory afferents in the cortex.
Dude, true. But come on- there def some sort of referred pain going on in there akin to a cluster headache right around Brodmann 14.

There are no primary sensory afferents in the cortex.

There's so much information in the frontal cortex that the sheer volume of new neuronal connections can cause pressure and irritation on the meninges, leading to soreness

Last edited:
It's like warm apple pie.

It very much is high school. It's cliquey, but not in the exclusive and mean way high school can be. Everyone at my school is really nice, says hi in the hallways, etc. But you do see the same people every day.

It's deprived. When you're constantly getting 5 hrs, the deficit starts building up.
To be fair, I could possibly get a little more sleep but then I'd get absolutely no time each day to decompress a little—something I see as a necessity. Also, keep in mind that's an average. I've definitely had 3-4 hour nights scattered in there.

You can't really fall too far behind, and studying is a good chunk of your life, but its also not that bad. Most students are not sleep deprived, most people find time to go out and do other things for fun. It forces you to e more organized.
The Knick deserves much more popularity.

Last edited:
It's like finals week except you're cramming every single day and you need to know it after the test is over

Any medical students care to share how the information they are required to learn is organized?

It seems like most undergraduate teachers I have really don't care much about being systematic and presenting the material in a learning-friendly manner.

Are medical schools concise with the material they expect you to learn? I'm fine with someone telling me I need to learn something and then going to do it on my own, just so long as they don't forget to tell me to learn an entire concept that shows up on a test.

Depends on the year. MS1-2 - generally you go by the powerpoints provided. Some schools also assign textbooks and hold you responsible for the content in it (thankfully this doesn't happen at my school). What you may be tested on is usually pretty clear. The problem is it's really too much to reasonably expect to know EVERYTHING within that realm. Generally you focus on the "definitely will be tested stuff", and don't sweat as much the more esoteric items that you "may" be tested on. It's still a lot, just a little more manageable. MS3 is still on going for me but I have relied on commercial review materials and question banks to prep me for the shelf exams. The few lectures we have (about 4 hours a week) are hit or miss as far as their relevance so I can't say I really study them at all. Also previous study guides from previous years' classes have helped as well.

It really depends on who is giving the lecture. We have learning objectives for each lecture that we are responsible for learning. Some professors outline them quite nicely through the lecture while others are all over the place. There is also a significant need to learn on your own, which is normally quite doable.

It's tough. The cliche is "drinking from a firehose" meaning your information comes at you at an insane rate. It does. You're not supposed to pick it all up. Information disseminated in the first two years of medical school is useful - don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Yes, you can look up anything, but it does help to have learned that crap as best as you could. The first two years are all bombardment with information - and make no mistake, much of this process is to start separating the class into fields, but the other, more innocuous and ideal intention is that you learn the medicine, physiology, microbiology, chemistry, neurology... There is too much to learn in 2 years about the current knowledge of human physiology and anatomy. Waaaaayyyyy too much. You will have 5 million facts thrown at you and the boards dictate you retain X% to choose your field. Work as hard as you can, maintain as much balance as you can, please - exercise, eat well, and do well on those stupid exams.

Socially - and not much is said here about this, you will likely form some social ties that last a long time. You have a class of medical students who are generally stressed out but you filter out according to interests, children, life position, etc. The stoners hang out with the stoners. The party-people hang out with other party-people. Non-trads typically hang out, and those with similar religious affiliations find common ground.

To echo a former poster - yeah, a bit like high school, but you need social support, and similar people in similar circumstances aren't really a "cliq" in medical school, it's a social network that is necessary for your own sanity.

The lectures are lectures. They contain WAY more info than you're used to and you will be tested not only on recall of obscure facts but 2 and 3 level reasoning (much like the MCAT) and you should expect more on the boards.

So. The skinny on medical student life is simple. Study your ass off. Do well on your silly tests ( I took them too...) Make friends, and not only with those people interested in your specialty, but a broad range of people (you will call on them at some point.)

Enjoy your time. Sounds weird. You will see, do, and be exposed to things you will never see again. Preceptors who have immense knowledge of medicine and procedure who are willing to share their experiences with you. As a medical student, if someone asks, you say YES!

Medical school is hard. If you suck at it, you shouldn't be a doctor. The process is difficult. The process is not ideal. The journey is ridiculously rewarding... It really is. The end-point is questionable.

Reactions: 8 users