What is my chance of getting back in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor 1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated high school in 2011. I had a 3.7 unweighted gpa and got a 33 on the act. I was also an elected offjcer of nhs.I got accepted into U of M Ann Arbor and went into pre-pharm with aspirations of being a pharmacist. I completed my first semester with a 2.9. Gpa. Not long into winter semester, while home, I got arrested for domestic violence. I had to leave U of M because the DV led to a lot of missed class time.

I decided to take a breather year at this point, w a total of 22 credits I figured I wouldnt lose to much time. While home during this past year long break, I was arrested again for domestic violence. I received misdemeanor convictions on both counts and was sentenced to 6 days in jail and lots of community service. Both times I was drunk.U of M gave me 2 years from winter 2012 to return before I have to re-apply, so I could return without them knowing my criminal history as late as next winter. However it was very very tough there, I really had to work hard to get that 2.9 my first semester. I have heard other schools, particularly ferris, have much easier pre pharm courses. Obviously a U of M degree would earn more respect, but in the end a degree is a degree and it wont affect your income much.

So my questions are, #1. Would I still be accepted to other Michigan undergrad schools (such as MSU, Ferris State, etc.)? Im highly confident they will not turn me down based on academic achievement or personality, after all, U of M accepted me. But these 2 misdemeanors really scare me about my chances of pursuing my dream of working in the med field.

#2. Would these 2 misdemeanors affect my chances for getting into a doctorate college of pharmacy (assuming I keep a gpa of 2.5 or higher), again such as MSU or Ferris or Wayne

Members don't see this ad.

I graduated high school in 2011. I had a 3.7 unweighted gpa and got a 33 on the act. I was also an elected offjcer of nhs.I got accepted into U of M Ann Arbor and went into pre-pharm with aspirations of being a pharmacist. I completed my first semester with a 2.9. Gpa. Not long into winter semester, while home, I got arrested for domestic violence. I had to leave U of M because the DV led to a lot of missed class time.

I decided to take a breather year at this point, w a total of 22 credits I figured I wouldnt lose to much time. While home during this past year long break, I was arrested again for domestic violence. I received misdemeanor convictions on both counts and was sentenced to 6 days in jail and lots of community service. Both times I was drunk.U of M gave me 2 years from winter 2012 to return before I have to re-apply, so I could return without them knowing my criminal history as late as next winter. However it was very very tough there, I really had to work hard to get that 2.9 my first semester. I have heard other schools, particularly ferris, have much easier pre pharm courses. Obviously a U of M degree would earn more respect, but in the end a degree is a degree and it wont affect your income much.

So my questions are, #1. Would I still be accepted to other Michigan undergrad schools (such as MSU, Ferris State, etc.)? Im highly confident they will not turn me down based on academic achievement or personality, after all, U of M accepted me. But these 2 misdemeanors really scare me about my chances of pursuing my dream of working in the med field.

#2. Would these 2 misdemeanors affect my chances for getting into a doctorate college of pharmacy (assuming I keep a gpa of 2.5 or higher), again such as MSU or Ferris or Wayne

You not only have one but you have two misdemeanors for the same domestic violence charge. Having a misdemeanor because of an MIP is one thing, but I think that having a history of violent behavior is going to hurt you big time.

I don't have experience with the undergrad schools or the standards of schools of pharmacy.

You should not invest in years of preparation for a career in medicine, though. Two violent convictions are a dealbreaker.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
Better yet, fix the real problem. Seek counseling for the anger issues that cause you to want to strike out physically and the self-control problems that prevent you from restraining yourself. You should probably also refrain from drinking since that lowers your inhibitions and gets you into trouble. If you need help with that, get it.

Those problems can easily derail everything you do and land you in jail. A felony conviction can keep you from getting a job in many fields, much less a professional license. Invest in yourself - your health first (in this case, emotional) and then your education. Safeguard that investment by solving the problem that could take it all away.

Thanks for your advice, especially doktor mom. I actually took a bunch of anger management classes while on probation, but it wouldn't hurt my chances if I took some more. Also I have refrained from drinkkng since the 2nd offense except for some wine with dinner on occasion.

I checked out my state's pharmacy board site and they say they "review every case differently" but that drug related offenses are much more serious than other misdemeanors.

It'd kill me if I spent 7-8 years in school loading up on debt only to not be able to get licensed. I wish the board was more clear on this, or perhaps someone on here has been approved or denied following med school for thejr license.

Thanks for your advice, especially doktor mom. I actually took a bunch of anger management classes while on probation, but it wouldn't hurt my chances if I took some more. Also I have refrained from drinkkng since the 2nd offense except for some wine with dinner on occasion.

I checked out my state's pharmacy board site and they say they "review every case differently" but that drug related offenses are much more serious than other misdemeanors.

It'd kill me if I spent 7-8 years in school loading up on debt only to not be able to get licensed. I wish the board was more clear on this, or perhaps someone on here has been approved or denied following med school for thejr license.
You won't get into medical school with your record.

You won't get into medical school with your record.

Yeah, I don't see medical school happening with your history. And even if you didn't have a violent crime history, you said you had to struggle to get a 2.9.

But medical school is not your biggest concern. You have a problem with alcohol and violence. If you have two domestic violence convictions...and that's just the two times you got convicted......and this is the most telling part coming up.....you continue to drink, you have not learned anything and are not taking your problem seriously.

Please before you seriously hurt someone or yourself, get some real help and don't drink again.