What is "Pestana's surgery review" for Step2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kemc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could someone please tell me what is "[B]Pestana's surgery review[/B]". I assume its a study material ,,, Where and how could i get this. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

kemc said:
Could someone please tell me what is "[B]Pestana's surgery review[/B]". I assume its a study material ,,, Where and how could i get this. Thanks.

It's this document that appears to based on his Kaplan teachings; it's also a little $3 booklet they sell at my med school. Pestana is an instructor at U Texas San Antonio and we have a lecture hall named after him. I believe he went to med school in Mexico and then trained at the Mayo Clinic. He seems pretty much retired now but he will lecture on occassion and has received numerous teaching awards.

I can e-mail you or anyone else a copy of his Kaplan review (please send me an e-mail addy in your request). It's basically a bunch of clinical vignettes in question form, which he then answers pretty thoroughly. I think it's definitely worth going over once you have a semi-solid foundation in surgery, because he goes over typically tested stuff that you may not think is either testable or is rare everywhere but a shelf exam. He's sort of like the Golijan of surgery, an old hand who knows the old tricks.

As far as a hard copy of his in-house surgery review, it's pretty good and more text based, but the word doc is pretty similar. I only have a hard copy and have recently lent it to someone.

I don't know how I did on my surgery shelf, but his booklet/review helped me to feel a little more confident on a few things that might have otherwise been baffling.

Thanks!! ... 46&2 i have sent you my email address via PM. Thanks.