What is the best rewards card right now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trailerpark

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just saw a commercial for Capital One Samuel L Jackson saying 1.5% cash back on everything, no limits. Now that I'm a soon to be pharmacist I want one good rewards card that I would PAY OFF EVERY MONTH.

Right now I have a Chase Slate 7.99% APR no rewards, no annual fee, good online banking
Then I just have a debit card linked to my checking account.

Thoughts?

PS I'm not a traveler and I don't really like the 5% with different categories every quarter, seems kind of annoying.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
It's the quicksilver. Here's some info on it.

The Capital One® Quicksilver® Cash Rewards Credit Card provides no fees, no hassle and high rewards. Offering a flat 1.5% cash back on all purchases, the card saves you from having to deal with bonus categories, caps, points and such. It also offers a signup bonus: One-time $100 bonus after you spend $500 on purchases within the first 3 months. Best of all, it has no foreign transaction fee and no annual fee, so international travelers can save big.

Reactions: 1 user
I just saw a commercial for Capital One Samuel L Jackson saying 1.5% cash back on everything, no limits. Now that I'm a soon to be pharmacist I want one good rewards card that I would PAY OFF EVERY MONTH.

Right now I have a Chase Slate 7.99% APR no rewards, no annual fee, good online banking
Then I just have a debit card linked to my checking account.

Thoughts?

Fidelity american express investment rewards. 2% cash back on everything, no limit, there is a $25/50 bonus sign up link online somewhere.

edit: found it. https://www.applyonlinenow.com/USCCapp/Ctl/entry?sc=VAB2RZ#b

Since american express isn't universally accepted, my backup is by brick and mortar bank: chase freedom reward master card (1.1% on everything plus quarterly rotating 5% categories). Although if you want all rewards to go into one account, a good backup option is a the Fidelity VISA signature reward card that has 1.5% cash back on everything (up to $15k annual, then 2% after). This is also a good card if you want to carry just 1 card if you don't mind giving up $75/yr cash back ($15k x 0.5%).

Charge everything possible on the cards and then pay it off each month (setup alerts and online banking), profit about $1k a year in cash back. Interest rate is irrelevant if you do this. Make money off of those who loan you money, that's the way to do it.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Would you recommend multiple cards to get rewards? I'll be working for Walmart and their credit card gives you 5 cents per gallon off their gas. May as well get gas there on my way home from work. I'm hoping to buy as much as I can from Walmart to get my employee discount (10% then 20% once a year) plus a rewards card to get even more cash back.

Would you recommend multiple cards to get rewards? I'll be working for Walmart and their credit card gives you 5 cents per gallon off their gas. May as well get gas there on my way home from work. I'm hoping to buy as much as I can from Walmart to get my employee discount (10% then 20% once a year) plus a rewards card to get even more cash back.

Look at your spending. 5cents per gallon may sound good until you realize that equivalent to 1.4% cash back. And while you might spend $150/mo, it's not even 10% of the overall credit card charges (after graduation). And while Walmart might be cheap, amazon might be even cheaper (we do subscribe and save with amazon, cancel right after or anytime, 15-40% off low prices on top of the cashback).

When it comes to money, it pays to spend the time to do the math, time litterallly equals money in this case. Too bad most Americans are never any good at it. :)

• Barclays arrival. 2.2% on everything $400 bonus/3000 dollar spent in 3 months. Annual fee $89 after 1 year. Cancel if you want after you get $400. This is my go to card for anything. 2.2% cash back.
  • Bank of America better balance. - charge 0.01 cent every month to get $100/year free
  • Amazon credit card - for 3% back buying stuff at amazon, 2% on gas/restaurant/drug stores, 1% everything else.
  • Discover - I charge $1.99 every month, to get a free $2 dollars = $24/year free money. (any balance less than 2 dollars will be reimbursed to you). Rotating category 5%, right now gas is 5% cash back in the summer so I use this . Also I use price protection every year, buy stuff before black friday sale and call discover to get back the difference up to $500 = no standing in line.
  • Amex cash back - 3% cash back on grocery - my daily grocery visit card.

Amex blue cash preffered - 6% Cash Back at U.S. supermarkets up to $6,000 per year in purchases (then 1%); 3% Cash Back at U.S. gas stations, 3% Cash Back at select U.S. department stores; and 1% Cash Back on other purchases. $75 annual fee - best card if you spend a lot on food - I am getting this if I have a wife + 2 kids. Right now, the annual fee > than cash back/my spending, so I will not get this card for a while.

I have pretty much different cards for different situation to maximize rewards, I can't be happy with just 1 mediocre card LOL.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm a huge amazon shopper so I may get the amazon card. I forgot about that one.

For cards that discount at US supermarkets, does the groceries at Walmart count? And places like Target, Sams Club...

I do the multiple cards thing and use whatever gives the most. None of them have annual fees of course.

Capital One Quicksilver - I just ordered.
Chase Freedom
Amazon
Citi ThankYou Preferred - Sometimes has 5x points quarterly bonus categories but apparently it's only offered to certain customers. When they had grocery stores, it did include Wal-Mart.
Citi Professional - Actually a business card with 3x points year-round on restaurants, gas, office supplies, car rental

I should probably get a better rewards card, but I've had my Capital One for so many years that it makes up a lot of my credit history. How often do you have to use cards to keep them active? Don't want to get rid of my oldest account.

For random offers, there was a deal on the Southwest Airlines card a few years ago. It had a $75 annual fee, but the signup bonus was some crazy amount of miles. We had a family vacation coming up, so we all opened the card, and all flew round trip for only that $75 per person.

Barclay Arrival+ world elite Mastercard. 2.2% cash back on everything reimbursed in travel. It is the best. Capital one venture, close second.

Barclay Arrival+ world elite Mastercard. 2.2% cash back on everything reimbursed in travel. It is the best. Capital one venture, close second.
+1 for the barclaycard. I just got it a few days ago, planning on putting tuition on it for this year and and then instapaying the balance with loans to get a free $900 for travel for fourth year.

And the hard pull didn't even lower my credit score :D

The chase freedom is actually worth it even if the categories are weird. There is no annual fee so it would be worth it to get one for the $100 sign on bonus and to use it just for those categories each month.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Costco true rewards - the annual fee is just your membership fee, 3% on gas, 2% on restaurants and travel, 1% on everything else. Costco credit instead if cash, though.

I use a credit union general rewards card for all other purchases...low fee and points can be used for travel on a fixed dollar/point ratio. I use this when some place doesn't take Amex.

I have a random Southwest Airlines rewards card that I would cancel, but it's the oldest account I have.

For cards that discount at US supermarkets, does the groceries at Walmart count? And places like Target, Sams Club...

No, those are considered discount stores, not grocery/supermarket. I know it sux lol

• Barclays arrival. 2.2% on everything $400 bonus/3000 dollar spent in 3 months. Annual fee $89 after 1 year. Cancel if you want after you get $400. This is my go to card for anything. 2.2% cash back.
  • Bank of America better balance. - charge 0.01 cent every month to get $100/year free
  • Amazon credit card - for 3% back buying stuff at amazon, 2% on gas/restaurant/drug stores, 1% everything else.
  • Discover - I charge $1.99 every month, to get a free $2 dollars = $24/year free money. (any balance less than 2 dollars will be reimbursed to you). Rotating category 5%, right now gas is 5% cash back in the summer so I use this . Also I use price protection every year, buy stuff before black friday sale and call discover to get back the difference up to $500 = no standing in line.
  • Amex cash back - 3% cash back on grocery - my daily grocery visit card.
Amex blue cash preffered - 6% Cash Back at U.S. supermarkets up to $6,000 per year in purchases (then 1%); 3% Cash Back at U.S. gas stations, 3% Cash Back at select U.S. department stores; and 1% Cash Back on other purchases. $75 annual fee - best card if you spend a lot on food - I am getting this if I have a wife + 2 kids. Right now, the annual fee > than cash back/my spending, so I will not get this card for a while.

I have pretty much different cards for different situation to maximize rewards, I can't be happy with just 1 mediocre card LOL.

Explain to me the discover thing? Any balance under $2 is returned to you? Is this across all of their cards?

Southwest does 25k miles for signing up, but about one a year they bump it to 50k miles. Annual fee is $100 but they give you $100 in flight credits each year too. Sign up bonus equates to about 2 and 4 flights respectively

I just realized you can buy couches and whole living room furniture on amazon. May be a good deal to use the amazon rewards card for it. Has anyone bought a couch on amazon? I'm worried about quality, not sure if it's worth it or not.

Last edited:
I just realized you can buy couches and whole living room furniture on amazon. May be a good deal to use the amazon rewards card for it. has anyone bought a couch on amazon. I'm worried about quality, not sure if it's worth it or not.

You can buy decent furniture on amazon. I have no idea what the shipping rates are but a quick google search showed free shipping on a 3 piece sectional from Ashley furniture (~$850). It may not be the nicest stuff on earth but it is solid value brand that will last years (10+) as long as you don't treat it like crap. They have to keep up with Overstock so I would imagine you can find plenty of pieces worth your money.

Is Bobkana a reputable brand? I see a lot of those on Amazon. I just worry because you see a lot of 5 star reviews, but then you see some that give it 1 star and say the cushions deform in just weeks and other reviews that say "don't do it".

What can you guys tell me about the Southwest airlines card?

What can you guys tell me about the Southwest airlines card?
That card just had the best sign up bonus of any card. The 50k rapid rewards points was worth $600 dollars which factors in the 99$ sign up (I've heard if you call chase they may even waive it).

After that the card costs about $14 a year because the 6000 points you get on your anniversary is worth $85. You can just keep it and use it twice a year or to book SW flights with it. SW flights on that card = 2.8% rewards so if you put $500 in flights on it in a year it pays for itself.

If you don't care about sign up bonuses then don't even consider it.

What are 6,000 points, is that a 6,000 mile trip? I live 1,000 miles from home so all I would need to do is get 2,000 points and I get a free round trip home?

No, the points just have a USD value when used for southwest flights. One point is about 1.43 cents.

I just realized you can buy couches and whole living room furniture on amazon. May be a good deal to use the amazon rewards card for it. Has anyone bought a couch on amazon? I'm worried about quality, not sure if it's worth it or not.

I bought an ottoman set once on a black friday deal, was pretty nice.

I bought my mattress for pharmacy school via overstock....came rolled up and compressed, saved me a trip to ikea and a few hundred bucks.

but really the best deal is going to your local furniture store with cash...you won't believe the deals you get dealing in $100's + "handwritten receipts"

That card just had the best sign up bonus of any card. The 50k rapid rewards points was worth $600 dollars which factors in the 99$ sign up (I've heard if you call chase they may even waive it).

After that the card costs about $14 a year because the 6000 points you get on your anniversary is worth $85. You can just keep it and use it twice a year or to book SW flights with it. SW flights on that card = 2.8% rewards so if you put $500 in flights on it in a year it pays for itself.

If you don't care about sign up bonuses then don't even consider it.

There is no 50k points rewards... or there was.

but really the best deal is going to your local furniture store with cash...you won't believe the deals you get dealing in $100's + "handwritten receipts"

What do you mean by that? There's a Slumberland near my new place.

Right now I got 2 CC's that pay out Discover card Citicard. After I move and buy a car later on and get settled with that, Im going to apply for the airline cards and get those reward miles. I know cancelling cards afterwards hurts your credit. But will do so when I know I don't have to worry about it LOL

There is no 50k points rewards... or there was.
it goes back and forth between 25k and 50k

Edit: forgot to mention that the points used to sign up can be used for the 110k points needed for a companion pass, which is potentially worth thousands of dollars.

Last edited:
I just signed up for the Chase Amazon rewards card and got 50 dollars in amazon credit. Now it says there's a "amazon store card" and you get 20 bucks credit. I thought there was only one amazon credit card. I'm confused. Anyone know if I got the good one (the one you guys mentioned on here)?

I just signed up for the Chase Amazon rewards card and got 50 dollars in amazon credit. Now it says there's a "amazon store card" and you get 20 bucks credit. I thought there was only one amazon credit card. I'm confused. Anyone know if I got the good one (the one you guys mentioned on here)?

You got the right one

One is a visa that you can use anywhere like a standard credit card, the "amazon store card" is an in-house use line of credit only.

I got the Amazon VISA. Next I'm gonna get the Chase Freedom (over the Capital One Quicksilver) and get 100$ off when I make 500 in purchase the first 3 months. yay :banana:

I just saw one that looked pretty decent: Capital One Venture. It has no annual feel, a 20k bonus for sign up and 1.25 points for every dollar spent. I think those terms are better than most I've seen because the money spent is not limited to a small area such as travel, hotels, Costco, etc. I generally put all my spending on my credit card and pay if off timely so I can reap the benefits of the points. This card would be good for at least one free airline ticket every year, which would be great.

I was looking at the Chase Freedom and it says 0% for balance transfer 15 months. Does that mean I can transfer my entire balance on my other credit card for free and as long as I pay it off before 15 months is over I never get any additional charges, but if I don't pay it off entirely I get charged the new credit card APR for the whole amount that was transferred?

Check if there is a balance transfer fee, sometimes 3-5%.

If the balance transfer uses up most of your credit limit, it is bad for your credit score because the card will look maxed out.

Also, I'm not sure when you have a 0% balance transfer sitting on your account, if you can still make new purchases on that card, and specifically pay off just those new purchases in full at the end of the month to avoid being charged interest on the new purchases. They may make you pay in full the entire account including the balance transfer to avoid interest.

Check if there is a balance transfer fee, sometimes 3-5%.

If the balance transfer uses up most of your credit limit, it is bad for your credit score because the card will look maxed out.

Also, I'm not sure when you have a 0% balance transfer sitting on your account, if you can still make new purchases on that card, and specifically pay off just those new purchases in full at the end of the month to avoid being charged interest on the new purchases. They may make you pay in full the entire account including the balance transfer to avoid interest.

Well it says:
Intro Purchase APR0% for 15 months on purchases and BTs*
Intro Balance Transfer:
0% for 15 months on purchases and BTs*

So 0% on everything for 15 months? I don't see a balance transfer fee either... Anyone know?

If youre a Disney freak like I am and dont travel that much anymore you can get the Disney chase card. Wait until they offer a gift card, I got $200 for spending $500. You get disney points that can be redeemed in the parks as well as access to special photo ops in the park with a free 8x10, 10% off any disney merchandise over $50 and other random things. At the food and wine festival they have a booth with a/c and free fountain drinks.

https://creditcards.chase.com/credit-cards/disney-credit-card.aspx

The points value arent that great but I throw my daycare costs on it and get $75ish a year for free.

Any good airline cards besides Southwest? Most flights I would use have United or AA

Any good airline cards besides Southwest? Most flights I would use have United or AA

Chase Sapphire Preferred Card. Look it up.

Are you looking for a single card or a few cards that are the best in their perspective areas? Wife and I like to travel and prioritize cash back, zero fees, and no hassles over chasing rates. I currently run 3 cards:

Citi Forward Visa: Equivalent 5% cash back (no longer offered, but I was grandfathered in and I still get 5x Thank You points) when used at restaurants, entertainment venues, and bookstores (Amazon is considered a bookstore) as long as you are redeeming the points for student loan rebates or mortgage rebates. I use this when I eat out and shop on Amazon. Also my backup card if my AMEX isn't accepted and because it's got an EMV chip for overseas use.

Penfed platinum cash rewards Visa: 5% on gas, year round, no limits. Cash is given to me in a statement credit at the end of each month. No BS. EMV chipped (True chip and PIN instead of chip and signature like the Citi) and has no international fees. Apparently it's a hard card to qualify for, but I got mine on the first application. Use it on gas and when I travel overseas.

SPG rewards AMEX: Joint account with the wife. Everything that doesn't fall into the previous two categories goes on this card. She travels a lot for work and racks up a ton of points with this card. I think the last time I checked when you use the points on SPG hotels you get something like 2.3% cash equivalent for each dollar spent. Also can be converted to airline miles. Works well with our vacationing lifestyle!

If I was in need of a card to replace the Citi Forward I'd probrably look into the AMEX blue cash card. But having two Amex's concerns me so I'd also consider the Fidelity Visa with it's 1.5% cash back. For right now I'm happy with my three cards.

Last edited:
I applied for the Chase amazon card and got denied. What the hell?