What is the best specialty to go into if you want to be a TV personality?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jack is Back

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If my end goal is to be a TV personality and sell products like Dr. Oz or that one dude on The Doctors that my grandmother inexplicably watches 5 days a week, what specialty should I chose?

Members don't see this ad.

Chiropractic

Reactions: 1 user
I think Dr. Oz is a cardiothoracic surgeon? Sanjay Gupta is a neuro-surgeon. Better study up!

Members don't see this ad :)
You have to do a TV-personality residency. A fellowship in Charlitanitis helps, but only if you want to appear on the most competitive channels like OWN or such.

I think Dr. Oz is a cardiothoracic surgeon? Sanjay Gupta is a neuro-surgeon. Better study up!

And they have only the highest accolades from the best schools in the country, have published a ton, and work like 20 hour days... Yeah, study hard lol

In the end it probably won't matter so much what you go into if you can have Harvard-UPenn-Wharton-Columbia, or similar, stamps to your name like Dr. Oz, although surgeons do tend to get a bit more of the limelight. I guess cameras just like filming people with face masks!

As an anecdote, one of the surgeons I trained under during my surgery clerkship (we have our surgery clerkship split so you have 1 attending/3 weeks) was Dr. Oz's chief resident at Columbia while a young Dr. Oz was a junior resident. By his account, he said that Oz was always trying new and alternative medicine media-friendly therapies, and that it was no surprise that he ended up become a tv personality.

Are you seriously asking this question? This is a somewhat childish thread. What you're asking is akin to asking what's the best job to have on the side when trying to become a movie star. You might as well have said "I want to be like Edward Norton in the movies my grandmother watches every Friday night, how do I do this?" Luck, circumstances, timing--these are all variables that go into becoming a TV personality. There is no magical residency. Dr. Drew is internal medicine. You have to happen to run into/know/be sought out by someone who works in the television industry, who happens to need a doctor for their show. There is no set path you can take. And your chances of success are almost zero. (Just like becoming the next Brad Pitt).

Are you seriously asking this question? This is a somewhat childish thread. What you're asking is akin to asking what's the best job to have on the side when trying to become a movie star. You might as well have said "I want to be like Edward Norton in the movies my grandmother watches every Friday night, how do I do this?" Luck, circumstances, timing--these are all variables that go into becoming a TV personality. There is no magical residency. Dr. Drew is internal medicine. You have to happen to run into/know/be sought out by someone who works in the television industry, who happens to need a doctor for their show. There is no set path you can take. And your chances of success are almost zero. (Just like becoming the next Brad Pitt).

camron-u-mad.jpg

are there any tv personalities or tv shows that have radiologists in them?

Andrew Weil is an internist, Oz is a cardiothoracic surgeon as mentioned earlier, there's also the plastic surgeons on extreme makeover. Really depends I guess. The regular medical correspondent on the morning news I watch is an EM doc

I remember getting an email through my about an internship program at Discovery Health (back when it was around). It was for med students and/or residents. Something to do with the launch of a new medical show. That sort of thing might be an 'in'.

I work (let me use this term loosely...he's almost never there) in the ED with Travis Stork from "the doctors." He's nice enough/good looking...I think he was on "The Bachelor" while still in residency, but maybe it was just after. Anyway, clearly EM is where it's at!! :love: (my future speciality!) :highfive: