What is the difference between AAMC 8 R and 8 CBT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

an aspiring doctor

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have seen people on AAMC speak of AAMC versions R and CBT. What are they? I only know of the self assessment and the 8 full lengths.

Members don't see this ad.

There are R versions for 3-10 and they are the same as the CBTS but with additional questions. 77 questions for each of the sciences and 9 passages for verbal.

The self assessments are comprised of the extra questions from some of the old R exams

The R series are the old school full length MCAT (circa 2004/6 I think) , the 8 hr one. So like Idiaz29 said, they have more questions/passages. In the BS section, you may find some of these extra questions deal with topics that have been since erased from the current MCAT, such as some organic topics, so watch out for those.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, if you can find the R exams, there's nothing wrong with answering the questions. The extra practice is helpful and they can include what you would otherwise see on the assessments. Just be aware that, if you don't know a question, it might be because it isn't on your MCAT, rather than because you need to review it.