What is the general acceptance rate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ConfusedFulbrightScholar

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I like statistics, so sue me haha.

I'm trying to figure out how many schools to apply to. I recently got rejected by a REU program and have been down in the dumps all day. The rejection email said that there was less than a 5% acceptance rate this year. So, that got me thinking, individual medical schools usually have about a 5% acceptance rate or lower right? And then that subsequently got me thinking, man am I screwed for MD admissions or what.

Now, granted, my sample size was small. I applied to 2 Summer programs, both which had over 700 applications for roughly 30 spots. I imagine if I had put more time and effort into these applications, and perhaps added another 23, my odds of being accepted by SOME summer program would be a lot more agreeable.

Thoughts? maybe about my paranoia? maybe about MD admissions?

I'm sitting at a 3.45 sGPA, 3.65 cGPA, projected MCAT of 33+ (Or so my dubious Kaplan/Next Step Practice exams say...haven't taken the one and only AAMC yet, saving that baby for later!).

Previously, I thought I'd be fine applying to about 20 schools, now I'm thinking I should be pushing 25. I heard someone applied to 40. No way in hell I'd be able to write that many secondaries :hungover:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Also, for those about to comment on my paranoia...(or lack therefore, in which case, cheers), just remember, I'm just really thoughtful.

Go look at the AAMC's acceptance data to see acceptance rates for various GPA/MCAT combinations.

Edit: here it is - https://www.aamc.org/download/321508/data/factstable24.pdf. Based on that data and with your numbers, you would have a 61+% chance of acceptance. However, understand that that is a very simplistic view and doesn't take into account the rest of your application which, really, is significantly more important than the numbers alone.

Members don't see this ad :)
Go look at the AAMC's acceptance data to see acceptance rates for various GPA/MCAT combinations.

Edit: here it is - https://www.aamc.org/download/321508/data/factstable24.pdf. Based on that data and with your numbers, you would have a 61+% chance of acceptance. However, understand that that is a very simplistic view and doesn't take into account the rest of your application which, really, is significantly more important than the numbers alone.

Right, right. I've looked at those tables, but I still don't see how that could help me come to a conclusion on how many schools I should be applying to.

10? 20? 30? How many is enough? And how many is too much?

Haha, questions, questions, but thanks for that link! 61% isn't horrible.

Also, @NickNaylor I saw that you used my sGPA as the GPA determination on the chart...do medical schools care more about sGPA than cGPA?

The number of schools you apply to depends on a variety of factors and is more involved than just your numbers. Things like where you're trying to go, the general strength of your application, the "prestige" of schools that you're applying to, the money you have available to spend on applying, among other things are all things you should consider.

In general, I would say that most people apply to at least 12-15 schools. If you have a weaker application and/or are planning on applying to more competitive schools, you should add more to that list. If you have a strong application and are not applying to competitive schools, you might be able to get away with less. I would say that it's not uncommon to apply to 20 or more schools. Once you start getting to 30 I worry about the feasibility of completing secondaries, the costs of applying, etc.. Ultimately that's something you will need to work out yourself. Tools like the MSAR can be immensely helpful in helping you develop a list of places to apply to.

I misread your post when looking at your GPA. I don't think it matters one way or another (I can't say that I ever actually cared enough to look at any applicants' cGPA vs. their sGPA when I was on the committee), but I would assume that committees would be less concerned about a lower cGPA with a higher sGPA than the opposite. After all, medical school is all science, so if you didn't do well in science courses in undergrad there will likely be some concern about your ability to do well in them once you get to medical school.

Reactions: 1 users
I suggest 15-25 schools. MSAR Online is your friend. The Acceptance Information tab will give you the info you're looking for. Harvard's matriculation rate is about 2.3%, but med schools typically accept roughly 2-4x people for each seat....thus...Harvard's rate is about 6-8%. Georgetown's is half that!!

For my school we interview about 500, accept about half that, and seat ~ 100.

Also keep in mind that ~50% of the people applying to any medical school have no business even thinking about a medical career. My learned colleague gyngyn has reported here that he sees MCAT scores in the single digits. No, not in each category...for the whole exam!

@NickNaylor, I appreciate the detailed response. Yeah, my higher cGPA and lower sGPA has weighed heavily on my mind. Fortunately, in a most unexpected turn of events, I was only able to sign up for a June MCAT even though I'd planned for May. So this has given me about an extra month and half of prep, maybe I can push it over a 33 to prove I can somewhat deal with science haha.

@Goro Thanks, I think I'm going to shoot for somewhere between 20-25, beyond that, I think the quality of my essays would be affected. And, that in a sense, is just wasted money. And wow, single digits, I think I'd start scrambling to sort out another career!

For one of my schools, an in-state mid-tier public medical school with associated VA and Children's hospitals, acceptance rate (matriculation only) over the past couple of years has been ~3.5%. If you add in the total number of acceptances offered the rate hits around 5.5%. That's for any student. For just in-state it's much better, around 10.5% matriculation, 23-27% total offered acceptances, leaving out all OOS apps and offers.

OP, you hit it on the nail. You just didn't apply to enough REU programs. I, too, didn't get into any of the 5 summer research programs I applied to one summer but was accepted to medical school.

Last edited:
Without a real MCAT and info on the rest of your app, its almost impossible to give real odds for you. Generally 20 schools is what most shoot for. I have found Kaplan practice tests to not be accurate indicators of real MCAT performance.

OP, you hit it on the nail. You just didn't apply to enough REU programs. I, too, didn't get into any of the 5 summer research programs I applied to one summer but was accepted to medical school.
Sweet deal, thanks for this and congratulations

Without a real MCAT and info on the rest of your app, its almost impossible to give real odds for you. Generally 20 schools is what most shoot for. I have found Kaplan practice tests to not be accurate indicators of real MCAT performance.
Unfortunately, with the new MCAT, Kaplan diag's are all I got!

I suggest 15-25 schools. MSAR Online is your friend. The Acceptance Information tab will give you the info you're looking for. Harvard's matriculation rate is about 2.3%, but med schools typically accept roughly 2-4x people for each seat....thus...Harvard's rate is about 6-8%. Georgetown's is half that!!

For my school we interview about 500, accept about half that, and seat ~ 100.

Also keep in mind that ~50% of the people applying to any medical school have no business even thinking about a medical career. My learned colleague gyngyn has reported here that he sees MCAT scores in the single digits. No, not in each category...for the whole exam!

This is true at many schools, but specifically Harvard's matriculation rate is at least 50%, so it's more like 4.5-5% max. But yes, in general I would agree that this is true.