What is the hardest section of the MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mas1996

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In your opinion, what is the hardest section and why? Also, which one did you prepare for the most and was it a good choice?

Members don't see this ad.

I think most people will agree that VR is the most difficult since it's more difficult to improve your score there than either BS or PS. Really your individual strengths and weaknesses will determine which section you think is "hard."

Also, take five minutes and read the tons of threads discussing the various materials and how to study for the test.

"Hard" is such a broad word. Are you referring to something like "What is the most demanding part of the test?" If so, I'd say verbal questions. But to be more specific, those inference questions are the ones I hate the most.

Members don't see this ad :)
This question is beyond subjective. People have different strengths.

However, most people find VR hard.. because they can't read/reason good (insert proper word... well) under pressure.

I feel like PS is so easy, BS I am having trouble understanding things, and VR my score is stuck at a 7 (on TPR) and 9 (EK 101).

Physics seems common sensy, biology as well.

Ochem is a biatch since i sucked at it last semester and have only done 1 semester of it..

VR is a bigger biatch... GRRRRRRR averaging 7!!!!

IMO: From most to least difficult to improve within a limited time frame.

Verbal Reasoning
Physics
Biology
General Chemistry
Organic

IMO: From most to least difficult to improve within a limited time frame.

Verbal Reasoning
Physics
Biology
General Chemistry
Organic

Agree except for extra clarity:

Verbal Reasoning
-HUGE GAP-
Everything else.

OMG @Czarcasm I couldn't even recognize you with your new picture!

This thread is in a way depressing, as I was good friends with some of the people in this thread in 2011 (my first MCAT take and application). I threw the towel for a while after not getting admitted and focused exclusively on my job and it wasn't until this year did I decide to give the MCAT another go. But then you look at their status' and see they made it in medical school, and it's bittersweet. You're happy for them, but you feel like you missed out on 2 years of achieving your dream. But I suppose 2 years compared to a lifetime isn't anything worth dwelling' over.

One thing I do remember though is that we all struggled with this test - every doctor has at some point in their lives (those above included, who are now admitted in medical school). It just goes to show if you're persistent enough, you'll succeed in the end. So don't give up guys.

Reactions: 1 user
Verbal was the bane to my existence when I was studying for it, but the sciences were at 10s-11s after 2 months of studying

Verbal started out as very much my lowest (6), and then ended up being second highest (13)! Seriously, follow examkrackers method for verbal / SN2 MCAT prep method. Physical Sciences ended up being my lowest (10-11).

Verbal started out as very much my lowest (6), and then ended up being second highest (13)! Seriously, follow examkrackers method for verbal / SN2 MCAT prep method. Physical Sciences ended up being my lowest (10-11).
Wow thats awesome congrats. I don't have the EK method so if you dont mind telling me what it is? and also any other personal tips you developed while improving your verbal by 7 points!!? Please and thank you :)

Wow thats awesome congrats. I don't have the EK method so if you dont mind telling me what it is? and also any other personal tips you developed while improving your verbal by 7 points!!? Please and thank you :)

Sure thing!! My method is to tackling passages was:
  1. 5 second zen breather / eyes closed / relax / clear mind of previous passage- SUPER IMPORTANT DO NOT SKIP (give it 7 seconds if need be :] )
  2. Read passage though in one stop- but read intently / don't rush through but keep a steady pace - make sure you are always in a good mood and if you feel like your getting annoyed put a smile on your face. The better mood you are in / the more relaxed you are the more you retain. The whole passage reading should take 2-3 minutes. Also when you are reading, see if you can identify what type of passage it is. I'd say regardless of subject matter there are three types - the "straightforward" where the main idea is introduced in very beginning and then the rest of the passage is explanation, the "expose" where the support is given first and then the main idea is revealed at the end, and then the "reversal" which starts off sounding like a passage for one thing but is marked by a tonal shift 1/2-2/3 of the way in. Recognizing what type it is definitely helps you figure out the main idea.
  3. Write a main idea - this is the one that takes a bit to develop and its definitely a practice makes perfect. When I first started, I wrote a couple words for each paragraph and near the end I would write at the most 2 complete sentences. This should take at the most 20-30 seconds.
  4. Then tackle the passage, go question by question. When answering questions always read the question and each of the individual answers even if you think you know the answer. Then quick double check back with your main idea. I feel like the questions always have 2 ****ty answers, 1 feel good answer, and 1 "MCAT" answer. After enough practice you should be able to suss out the MCAT answer. Also eliminating bad answers first is great. Never let your outside assumptions influence the answers! That was a big problem I had at first and its definitely something that the MCAT authors try to exploit. A good thing to remember is that words are symbols and have multiple meanings based on context. Try and get in the mind of the author / and really over empathize. If you are debating over two answers skip the question for the moment, but dont leave the passage just yet. If you can't figure it out, mark the question, give your best answer it and then move on to the next passage. With time and practice the questions should actually go by pretty quickly.
  5. Repeat the cycle! At the end I would usually have 6-7 minutes where I could double check my marked questions (which is very valuable time). I also would try and aim for 7 minutes per passage at the most and 4 passages done at the half way point or atleast be on your 4th passage.
The biggest things are stay HAPPY, gut feeling, and ONLY sticking to information given in the passage. I also would do passages everyday. At first I started with doing 2 in a row and ended up doing 4 in a row at the end. Also no matter what, a lot of positive self-talk in your head is good. Always think in your head that you are crushing it. I liked to write out on the scratch paper during the break before I would start "you can f**ing do it" hahaha.

Reactions: 1 user