What is the hardest year at your school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

holystorm

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Whats the hardest year at your school? im studying for my DAT and couldnt help thinking about what yera of dental school will be the most challenging

Members don't see this ad.

Whats the hardest year at your school? im studying for my DAT and couldnt help thinking about what yera of dental school will be the most challenging
General consensus here at TAMU is D1.

Depends on if you are good at classes or good at lab/work and clinic. If you are bad at classes than D1... if you are bad at people skills, lab work, and clinical dentistry than 3rd year.

Members don't see this ad :)
2nd year here at LSU.

Reactions: 1 user
MWU AZ says D2 in terms of time commitment with D3 being the best year

4th year. dat itis is no joke

D2 without a doubt. Didactic and lab work are both at their worst during second year at my school.

D1 for sure. Most that flunked out pretty much do it after D1.

D1 is the hardest at most schools. Consecutive years don't necessarily get easier but you learn the game i.e how to handle dental school.

D2. D1 is second.

This probably depends on what you excel at, but the general consensus at Buffalo is D3 is the hardest. First year is tough with the swath of heavy didactics. If the preclinic work doesn't come somewhat naturally to you, D2 may be rough too. But in D3 we're just hammered with so many courses on top of being in the clinic that it piles up very quickly -- pt lab work, studying for incessant quizzes, midterms or other big exams nearly every week. At least by D3 you've kind of come to expect that you'll be studying most nights and most weekends, and the proverbial light at the end is near. Fourth year is unequivocally the easiest.

4th year last semester... holy crap is it stressful getting all requirements done in time. Nightmares galore.

The first one was the hardest because i couldn't start to concentrate myself on learning new things, but the last one i think was hard because of the last exams and many worries!

D1 the hardest. If you can handle the first year you will be fine. Everyone told,me second year was the worst,,, but I definetly thought the first year was the most difficult. Second , third , and fourth years all get easier respectively.

Here at Roseman I'm pretty sure 1st year is by far the most challenging, solely b/c of all those hours sitting in one spot memorizing (ahem learning then immediately forgetting) stuff.

Being in the clinic is like heaven. I can tell the clinic will have its own kind of stress but imo that kind of stress is peanuts compared to what D1 was. I dont expect I'll ever have to deal with the crazy amount of stress that getting consistent 4.0s in undergrad and applying 3 times entailed. Getting a little off topic here, but I just realized dental school has so far been nothing in comparison to my time in undergrad. G-d Im so happy Im done with undergrad, proud of all I achieved but that was a real low in my life fudge