what is the meaning of my EFC is $0

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

habiba

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi guys my question is about financial aid
i don't know what is the meaning of EFS is $0 does it mean that fafsa will not pay me anything even i am low income ?
or is the money that college Expects that i could pay for it ????

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your family does not have the financial strength to pay for any part of your education. You will probably have to apply for financial aid or get student loans.

It is automatically 0 if you file your fafsa as an independent I believe. All graduate and professional students automatically file as independent

I would assume that you will be able to get some federal aid if that is the case.

It is automatically 0 if you file your fafsa as an independent I believe. All graduate and professional students automatically file as independent
Only if you haven't made any money (< $23,000). I filed as an independent and still have a sizable EFC (but also qualified for full Federal coverage up to COA).

To the OP: the EFC is the amount the school expects you and your family to be able to pay towards your education. A low EFC (like $0) means that you will be considered for need-based financial aid if available (and certainly eligible for Federal aid)... as your EFC << Cost of Attendance.

Last edited:
On the FAFSA for grad school, you are luckily an independent and don't have to include your parents' information. My EFC was thus $0, though my parents could afford my tuition, fees, and living expenses. That means I can take out the full amount in student loans.

i am still in undergraduate college and i have 18 year !!
so i am obligate like this to take loans ??!

Outside of the loans, do you have the money to pay for dental school? If you do, then no, you don't have to take out loans.

If you don't... how else could you afford it other than loans?

If my EFC is 183, will that affect my ability to take out loans at all since it is so low?

i'm still in undergraduate college i haven't apply yet for dental school !!!!!!
but my EFC is 0000 which mean my family can't pay for college so like this i will take loans or the college will give me the aid to go to college ??!

i'm still in undergraduate college i haven't apply yet for dental school !!!!!!
but my EFC is 0000 which mean my family can't pay for college so like this i will take loans or the college will give me the aid to go to college ??!
???

Yes, this means your family cannot pay for college -- but the assumption is that you will pay back loans (amounting to the full cost of schooling) after you receive your education. Please clarify your situation if possible, as I think you are not giving us enough information to figure this out. If you are not a US citizen, I don't think you can receive Perkins/Stafford loans.

Just as a side note... I cannot stress how important it is for you to do your own research and understand the format and terms of Federal loans for school. If you're going to take out hundreds of thousands of dollars, please understand why and how this will happen. :)

Reactions: 1 user