What is the most lifestyle-friendly residency if you have other things to do ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Billy2018

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello , What is the most lifestyle-friendly residency with minimal patient contact ? Is it Pathology , Radiology , Clinical Pathology ? I would like to explain my situation. I'm not living in the US , So my situation is not typical. I would like to choose a very lifestyle-friendly residency because I have other interests other than clinical medicine. I'm an avid reader. I spend most of my time reading books , programming & Solving problems in theoretical physics. I have been always interested in physics and mathematics. Not medical physics but High energy theoretical physics like string theory & Quantum field theory. Now , I have completed 7 years of medical school with high grades & I'm now 26 years old. But I don't have an undergraduate degree in physics or mathematics which are the subjects my real passion lies. Is it possible to do a clinical pathology residency and continue to do my hobbies as I have been doing before ? Or is it best to leave medicine & Try to apply for PhD Programs & Take the GRE test ?

Sorry , I have posted this in another section of this forum. I'm not sure if it was the right place to post this.

Members don't see this ad.

Where do you live that medical school was 7 years? The best place to pose this question would be the the general residency forums or the MD/DO forum. This is a premed subforum.

Also, this is a question where a quick search will give you many hits. Anything within the last 5 or so years will be relevant.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say to ask around to people in your country, since the lifestyles might not be the same in the US.

OP has Rad-Onc written all over him

physics or mathematics which are the subjects my real passion lies
Why are you talking about pursuing medicine if it's not where your real passion lies? Go be a physicist or mathematician.
Even the breeziest specialty is going to eat up all your time, so if being around sick people and not having a lot of free time isn't compatible with your goals why are you here?

Reactions: 1 user