What is the most popular Neurology Text book for residents?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.Victoria2017

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
What is the most popular Neurology Text book for residents?

Members don't see this ad.

Bradley
Neuroanatomy Through Clinical Cases

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Bradley is dense but would be good as a reference at your level (I'm assuming MS-4?). Neuroanatomy Through Clinical Cases is good for learning neurological localization.

The basics of neurological localization don't change, but the basic and translational science do change. Take H.M. for instance. The earlier papers on H.M. based on pre- and post-surgical data and neuropsychological testing are incomplete. After H.M. died, it was revealed that the extent of bilateral hippocampal resection was less extensive than previously thought. See Annese J, et al. (2014) in http://www.nature.com/ncomms/2014/140128/ncomms4122/full/ncomms4122.html.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Bradley's is a pretty big text book. Unless you are an avid reader AND your residency is laid back. It will be extremely difficult to read it couple of times in 4 years. Eep when there is so much other stuff that u will have to read from other books( Neuroanatomy, EEGs, EMGs, Continuum may be etc) and read scientific literature/ Case presentations/Journal club and so on... . Bradley's is probably ideal as a reference and must have for residents. But pick a smaller text that u can hope to read cover to cover - Adams and Victor may be.

I used both Adams and Victor, and Bradley as reference books. I read Plum and Posner, and a good part of Localization prior to PGY-4. I read some of Neuroanatomy Through Clinical Cases. Starting late in the year in PGY-3 and throughout PGY-4, I started reading Continuum. Late in PGY-4, I read Prayson's neuropathology text, which I found was the only book that I could learn and remember peds neuro from. I also read journal articles that interested me during all three years of neurology.

By the way, I was not at a cush program.

Bradley is a good reference, beautifully written but a little verbose. Adam and Victor is easier to read IMHO. Plum and Posner is essential, as a large chunk of your inpatient admission/consult cases will be AMS. Neuroanatomy through clinical cases is good for neuroanatomy, after reading which you can transition to Localization (more detailed, more boring). I haven't picked up good texts for EMG, EEG, peds, or path, and would appreciate recommendations as well.