What is the point of asking for a non science rec letter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sonya

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

So, just brainstorm your opinions of answers to that question. What, different, are medschools looking for in the non-science rec letter then the science ones?

I'm using this to address what (besides the standard things for medschool rec letters) my non science reccomender should focus on.

Thanks,
Sonya

Members don't see this ad.

The purpose of the non-science letters is to provide evidence of the personal qualities that would make you a candidate for the study of medicine, and, subsequently, a good doctor.

If, as was the case with me, your science recommenders only address the professional aspects of your personality, then the non-science recommenders should touch on the rest of you (personality-wise that is).

Civic responsibility, reliability (as it relates to the recommender), and maturity are all things that should be included in the letter. Also, I believe the word "outstanding" carries the most weight when used to describe a candidate (you). So be sure to have them put that in there.

Of course, the more letters you provide, the better it looks. Also, the recommenders should know you well enough to provide examples to back up their claims about you with a meaningful anecdote or two.