What is the point of MPCAC accreditation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MasterOf.Science.

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry that I'm blowing this thread up. I hope it's not bothering anyone.

Anyway, I see now that CACREP programs are the best programs and that these programs are the easiest and pretty much the only way to become licensed.

However, seeing that MPCAC programs are still out there, what point is there? What does MPCAC accreditation even get you? Because it seems to me that the answer is nothing.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure where they differ (although the MPCAC seems to place a greater emphasis on applied psych MA's) but one thing you might try is looking for job postings. I would find some that seem to align with your interests and look at the requirements. In my case, all of the jobs I looked at pre-application required a PhD in Clinical Psych and an APA approved internship. Repeat the search and look for a pattern.

When I worked as a psychiatric technician, the hospital required therapists to complete a CACREP program. I'm not sure if they *would* accept a MPCAC program, but since CACREP is often explicitly stated, it might save you some trouble in the long run to go that route!

Reactions: 1 user
If I remember right, MPCAC is just accrediting board that regulates Masters of Arts in Psychology programs that choose to go for this accreditation. Think of how the APA accredits Clinical and Counseling Psych programs, how the NASP regulates School Psychology Programs and also how the AMFT accredits MFT programs. MPCAC just makes sure that the program meets their standards. This board doesn't really have any influence on your life as a future counselor and is geared towards psych MA programs. Since you expressed finality with going to a CACREP program then you dont need to worry about MPCAC accreditation unless you want to forgo going the CACREP route and go through the MPCAC route to prepare for a Ph.D or Psy.D program in Psychology

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Anyway, I see now that CACREP programs are the best programs and that these programs are the easiest and pretty much the only way to become licensed.

However, seeing that MPCAC programs are still out there, what point is there? What does MPCAC accreditation even get you? Because it seems to me that the answer is nothing.

The point is that CACREP is trying to streamline and unify the licensure and portability issues in the Counseling field as they realize Counselors are losing out on money and lobbying efforts (medicare/medicaid billing, VA services, etc.) because the industry has so many varied licensure and degree requirements. Social Workers and doctors and nurses don't have so many problems with this. CACREP and CORE combined a few years ago so the only 'outliers' left were Psychology Master's programs. There are a handful of Counseling Psychology programs that offer Master level degrees leading to state licensure still taught by Psychologists. Many times they are also teaching PhD programs in Counseling Psychology. This is why MPCAC was created. CACREP is saying they won't accredit these programs unless the faculty have a PhD in Counselor Education and they are charging expensive fees to the University in order to gain their accreditation. Honestly I wish both groups would compromise a bit and figure it out for the future sake of the profession. UMKC and Avila U has an MPCAC program and their graduates can still earn their hours and get an LPC. It'll be interesting to see how long it stays that way though.

Reactions: 1 users

I would disagree that “it’s the only way to gain licensure”. Where CACREP and MPCAC really differ is that CACREP programs CANT be housed in a psychology program. I’m currently in a MHC program that meets ALL the standards for CACREP but is taught by phd psychologists, well respected psychologists I might add. Many people will tel you that the two differ based on credit hour requirements and other standards but it really comes down to CACREP wanting to separate counseling from psychology. At the end of the day it’s up to the state to grant licensure and a majority of states do not require CACREP but instead will acknowledge applicants that have met state standards for licensure.