What is the starting salary of a dentist in NY?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jack8276

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do dentists in ny make after finishing their residency? Is it like around 120 or 150ish?

Members don't see this ad.

I imagine it varies a lot considering NY is such a big and diverse state. There are a lot of different areas of NY from a lot of it which is quite rural, to the islands like Long Island, Manhattan, and Staten Island, which are all on the urban side. So it would be tough to give an estimated starting salary which is representative of the whole state.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I imagine it varies a lot considering NY is such a big and diverse state. There are a lot of different areas of NY from a lot of it which is quite rural, to the islands like Long Island, Manhattan, and Staten Island, which are all on the urban side. So it would be tough to give an estimated starting salary which is representative of the whole state.

what would it be in NYC?

what would it be in NYC?

Not really sure for starting. As a dental student myself, I wish there was more salary and employment information for people out of school, like there is for people out of law or mba programs. I think it is important for students who pursue dentistry, and often undertake great sums of financial debt, to have a good sense of the prospects of their career.

Although I am always kind of skeptical of these type of statistical reports, I found this compensation information for all dentists (not just starting) in NYC. So as you can see besides physicians and people who are managers in their respective careers, dentists are said to be among the highest paid in the city. http://www.bizjournals.com/bizjourn...homas/2013/04/pay-in-market-063.html?page=all

Do know, I think it may vary from hospitals (upto 160ish)..

Usually medical services fees in big cities like NY is higher than the average national salary for that profession. This is true for most jobs, including dentists and dental hygienists... However, I do agree with johnho. You can't really tell whether the data put on the websites are 100% accurate... Take my source for example. They are a great source for many things related to dentistry, but I'm not sure about the salary data...
http://goo.gl/BKMGGR

I thought it was around the lower 100,ooo. Btw How are you going about finding a job NY? I aks because I also want to practice in NYC, but it's supersaturated.

I heard NYC is close worst in the country for dentists

Obviously, it depends on what part of NY you will be practicing in. Keep in mind that New York has (I believe) 4 dental schools. NYU alone pumps out close to 300 grads per year, so competition in the city is a common topic of conversation on the "salary" threads. My philosophy is to expect 100K (which is more than enough to live on comfortably), and if you end up making more, great! Too many people here have unrealistically high salary expectations, and become pessimistic about job security, salary, etc. Don't let these people get you down.

Also, do not discredit smaller cities. I may be biased because I was raised in a somewhat rural city, but there is more to NY than NYC. Places like Syracuse seem like a great place to practice with less competition, and possibly higher starting salaries.

Good luck.

Its not going to be easy finding jobs!