what is the toughest question you've ever been asked at a med school interview ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abracadabraone

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
me: what were your thoughts on euthanasia ?

Members don't see this ad.

"why do you want to be a doctor?"
"why should we take you over other applicants?"

"why do you want to be a doctor?"
"why should we take you over other applicants?"

I still haven't heard a good response to that question. They either seem too cocky or not confident enough.

Members don't see this ad :)
"In research you can work with patients, too. Why not become a medical researcher instead if you enjoy science so much?" <---- from Einstein interview

"Want to play a game?"

Although technically it was what came after the question that was the toughest part...

Last edited:
"Want to play a game?"

Although technically it was what came after the question that was the toughest part...

That just sounds wrong.

It is questions like these that get me. Ask me anything that doesn;t have an abstract answer and I will blow your mind. But ask me to talk about myself, I am screwed!!

I always loved the questions that required talking about myself. Guess its my narcissistic personality disorder popping out.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not really a question, but I had a scenario where I had a picture of a constructed lego building in front of me and I had to dictate to my interviewer behind me how to build it through words alone.

Is this you IRL? ;)
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hN89U_XD9E[/YOUTUBE]

:( I've been identified on SDN! Now I will have to delete my account and stop posting!

That was hilarious though. "i can't take out trash, clean, do dishes..." Must be nice.

Is this you IRL? ;)
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hN89U_XD9E[/YOUTUBE]

Wow that blows my mind! It's different when like a surgeon or an athlete is narcissistic. They've actually honed a skill and have become the best in the world at it. But a hand model? Too much

It's not really a question, but I had a scenario where I had a picture of a constructed lego building in front of me and I had to dictate to my interviewer behind me how to build it through words alone.
WTF what school was this at?

Out of the blue
"Teach me something"

and (not the exact same, but related for 'most awkward moment)

Interviewer: Where else have you interviewed other than here?
Me: umm well.. umm.. school X, Y, Z
Interviewer: What did you think about school Y?
Me: eh it was okay.. I didnt much care for the facilities or feel I got there.. I like it here better :thumbup:
Interviewer: Oh.. that was my alma mater..
Me: :thumbdown:

Out of the blue
"Teach me something"

and (not the exact same, but related for 'most awkward moment)

Interviewer: Where else have you interviewed other than here?
Me: umm well.. umm.. school X, Y, Z
Interviewer: What did you think about school Y?
Me: eh it was okay.. I didnt much care for the facilities or feel I got there.. I like it here better :thumbup:
Interviewer: Oh.. that was my alma mater..
Me: :thumbdown:
hahaha

That euthanasia is an easy question to elaborate on. Something like "why did you choose this field will have me pondering on what I should say.

"Want to play a game?"

What I see, you did there.
jigsaw_puppet.jpg

"In research you can work with patients, too. Why not become a medical researcher instead if you enjoy science so much?" <---- from Einstein interview

This is a question I'm preparing to respond to. Simply put - I love the science and I enjoy the clinical side of science, with four years of extensive clinical research experience through my undergraduate thesis and masters (graduate) thesis. Clinical research has provided me a love and passion that cannot be met on any playing field; reading further into the literature and developing a theory/idea based on a gap in the literature that tickles your intellectual curiosity. A challenge that displays itself to thinking outside the paradigm and developing a methodology to test your theory, granted its feasible and affordable.

Medicine, I believe, surpasses this feat by supplying real time situations that require one to develop quick thinking, rational decision making under pressure, and continuously tests one's fortitude in the realm of science and clinical work. Medicine is a unique environment that will allow me to engage in the best of both worlds; science and clinical work.

That's awesome! I would love to get that as my interview question/task! :D

This is a question I'm preparing to respond to. Simply put - I love the science and I enjoy the clinical side of science, with four years of extensive clinical research experience through my undergraduate thesis and masters (graduate) thesis. Clinical research has provided me a love and passion that cannot be met on any playing field; reading further into the literature and developing a theory/idea based on a gap in the literature that tickles your intellectual curiosity. A challenge that displays itself to thinking outside the paradigm and developing a methodology to test your theory, granted its feasible and affordable.

Medicine, I believe, surpasses this feat by supplying real time situations that require one to develop quick thinking, rational decision making under pressure, and continuously tests one's fortitude in the realm of science and clinical work. Medicine is a unique environment that will allow me to engage in the best of both worlds; science and clinical work.

Wawaweewa what a perfect freaking response!

It's eloquent, but almost too rehearsed...for me at least. I like going into interviews with little to no expectations and try not to overthink things. I generally think if you're calm and you're yourself that you'll do well (granted that you don't stumble over words and mumble).

Wawaweewa what a perfect freaking response!

It's eloquent, but almost too rehearsed...for me at least. I like going into interviews with little to no expectations and try not to overthink things. I generally think if you're calm and you're yourself that you'll do well (granted that you don't stumble over words and mumble).

True, but most premeds should run their responses to a few common questions by at least a couple other people.

I've heard a few really bad answers to:
1) Why medicine?
2) Why not another field of medicine? (eg nursing) usually asked because the answer to 1 was woefully inadequate.
3) Why should we take you over other applicants or what makes you interesting?
4) What is the your most meaningful undergrad experience.

Simple questions. But some people really have not thought enough about why they want to be doctors and really bomb them. So for many people at least some practice/rehearsing is necessary.

Isn't there a point of over preparing and making yourself too nervous or anxious? Sure, have a cohesive response to the questions you mentioned, but I think if you are truly invested in this process then you can speak on these things in a cohesive manner at any point in time. Wake me up at 3am and I will tell you why I want to be a doctor :).

True, but most premeds should run their responses to a few common questions by at least a couple other people.

1) Why medicine?
2) Why not another field of medicine? (eg nursing) usually asked because the answer to 1 was woefully inadequate.

Simple questions. But some people really have not thought enough about why they want to be doctors and really bomb them. So for many people at least some practice/rehearsing is necessary.

Heh, knowing me I'll easy stumble over my words, mumble, become incoherent, and somehow begin reciting some drabble that is nonsense.

I love giving presentations, but I typically spend countless hours preparing for them.

There is no actual magnet.. Its the the vehicle... Women love hummers.. There is no such thing as a p***y magnet - it is the vehicle...

excellent response... unless Borat is interviewing you

In addition, many people have asked me why medicine over the course of my pre-medical career....so when it comes interview time, it's like I have said it 3 dozen times.

Heh, knowing me I'll easy stumble over my words, mumble, become incoherent, and somehow begin reciting some drabble that is nonsense.

I love giving presentations, but I typically spend countless hours preparing for them.

Isn't there a point of over preparing and making yourself too nervous or anxious? Sure, have a cohesive response to the questions you mentioned, but I think if you are truly invested in this process then you can speak on these things in a cohesive manner at any point in time. Wake me up at 3am and I will tell you why I want to be a doctor :).

I agree that someone applying to med school SHOULD have a cohesive response. But about 75% of the premeds I help with interview prep have terrible answers and need a lot of work/rethinking.

You'd be surprised how bad some people's answers are.

Yes you can absolutely overprepare but everyone should make sure they have an acceptable answer and run it past at least one person who knows what they're talking about. Otherwise a lot of premeds would show up to their first interview saying things like "I want to help people, and I like science."

People actually say that? I feel that my chances just improved hahahaha.

I agree that someone applying to med school SHOULD have a cohesive response. But about 75% of the premeds I help with interview prep have terrible answers and need a lot of work/rethinking.

Yes you can absolutely overprepare but everyone should make sure they have an acceptable answer and run it past at least one person who knows what they're talking about. Otherwise a lot of premeds would show up to their first interview saying things like "I want to help people, and I like science."

alwaysaangel, what type of emotion or experience do you suggest we should tap in, in order to convey a better response?

I mean, My response basically comes down to my early exposure to health care at a young age and my experience working in the field made me realize that medicine is what I want to practice. of course I love science and people etc but I don't think I'm gonna over-emphasize that too much.

alwaysaangel, what type of emotion or experience do you suggest we should tap in, in order to convey a better response?

I mean, My response basically comes down to my early exposure to health care at a young age and my experience working in the field made me realize that medicine is what I want to practice. of course I love science and people etc but I don't think I'm gonna over-emphasize that too much.

You don't have to tap into emotion. You should talk about the path and experiences that brought you to apply to medical school. You should be able to coherently mention that you considered other fields and why they didn't fit, and why in the end you think medicine is the best option for you.

Its not cookie cutter, everyone should be different. I meant literally I asked someone why medicine and they said "because I like science and want to work with people." So scary.

You don't have to tap into emotion. You should talk about the path and experiences that brought you to apply to medical school. You should be able to coherently mention that you considered other fields and why they didn't fit, and why in the end you think medicine is the best option for you.

Its not cookie cutter, everyone should be different. I meant literally I asked someone why medicine and they said "because I like science and want to work with people." So scary.

Thanks. That was the idea I had in mind. I've worked as a CNA (still), HHA, mental health and others thing here and there. But it's those experience I had that confirm my desire to practice medicine. But I wasn't quite sure how I wanted to say it.

1) Why medicine?

How exactly do you go about answering this question without sounding redundant, especially if you went into detail regarding your motivation in your PS?

How exactly do you go about answering this question without sounding redundant, especially if you went into detail regarding your motivation in your PS?

Your interview is going to feel very redundant. A lot of the questions are going to overlap and you will feel like you're repeating yourself. Just look at it as an opportunity to go more in depth and have a discussion about it.

Also, some interviews are blind (they aren't allowed to read your stuff before hand) or if you have a lazy/busy interviewer they may not have read it even if they were supposed to.

I would believe to answer this question sufficiently, you should have some sort of experience/exposure to medicine/science. I realized that as much as I love science/research/academia/teaching... it just isn't right for me. I thoroughly enjoy the clinical experience that allows one to gap the bridge between empirical data and anecdotal here-say... allowing for clinical application in a fast-paced, high stress environment.

One after the other... how would you define sympathy? How would you define empathy? How would you define success? How would you describe pain to a child?

I wasn't surprised at how unique these questions were because during lunch when the professor of cell bio was sitting next to me, he asked who my interviewers were. He saw this guy's name, cringed, and said good luck.

One after the other... how would you define sympathy? How would you define empathy? How would you define success? How would you describe pain to a child?

I wasn't surprised at how unique these questions were because during lunch when the professor of cell bio was sitting next to me, he asked who my interviewers were. He saw this guy's name, cringed, and said good luck.

I think I've heard stories of this legendary interviewer.

Who is it? Who is it? Who is it??:scared::scared:

I wish I could remember. :) The "how would you describe pain to a child" question sticks out in my memory... but maybe it's more common that I think.

I was asked the difference between sympathy and empathy by a member of my pre-health committee. Being a big language person, I proceeded to give a totally kickass (and correct) explanation of their definitions and differences, including examples. After I finished my awesome answer, there was a long pause. He looked at me and said, "Your definitions are correct, but you mismatched them with the words," and then he began to define them incorrectly. The other committee members looked confused.

I hate being told I'm wrong when I'm definitely correct. It took a lot for me not to call him out. I should bring a pocket dictionary to future interviews, just in case my interviewer hasn't properly learned the answers to their own "definition" questions.