What is Walgreen's "Power"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How many Rph's on here working under power have said it has destroyed their relationship with the pt? My store is not there yet, but I have more time for the pt now just with central fill. Take those annoying phone calls away of "are my vicodins ready", "how much is my medicaid script", "Did dr abc call in my soma's", and I will have even more time.

I actually believe that the typical Walgreens customer (and CVS customer from what my cvs rph friends say) doesn't care who fills their script or who they talk to on the phone. They want speed, convienence, and service. They are getting that. If they gave a crap about who filled their scripts, they would not take their scripts to these stores that have revolving floaters in them. But, I don't see any walgreens stores failing due to lack of business. Half of my pt's don't even know what I look like, because they won't get out of their cars to come in, and I counsel from my workstation on the phone if you are in drive-thru. But they keep coming back. Customers that need that more personal touch go to slow grocery stores or independents. People that want it now go to cvs and wags. They don't care who is behind the counter as long as it is done correctly and at a price they are cool with.

Then you my friend have little or no emotional connection with the patient because my patients come to me because they trust me...and they do care who fills their prescriptions...Its usually the oxy freaks who dont give a damn, and honestly i dont give a damn if i fill their rx or not (the oxy freaks that is). We fill 2700 rx weekly, and believe me, i know a good chunk of them and they know me. CVS will never go to a centralized system, they will make the staff have an emotional connection by way of phone calls. I do not see CVS heading to a centralized system anytime soon. I yet to see the full POWER system in place in florida, but from what i heard, you will have plenty of time to counsel cause you will probably lose 10% of your business. i have to side with old timer here...based only on early reports of POWER and JEDDevil, dont take my first sentence personally, but i believe retail is what you make of it...I choose to be emotionally involved with the patient...

Members don't see this ad.

What are you FOX NEWS How about you finishing the quote.

If you had - you would have quoted At that moment, the issue is passed off, and I can get back to work helping the next pt in line. If you have ever been behind the one patient that eats 30 minutes for one script (apparently only one poster on this forum hasn't), you would see how incredibly frustrating the issue is. By moving along in the cue, allowing the issue to be worked by central, you can help the "next" person in line. Feel free to extrapolate this benefit to EVERYONE in the cue - because if I move up the next person in line 30 minutes faster - everyone behind that patient moves up in the cue first.

I stated No and Yes - which one did I state first? Its called being non-bias and maintaining objectivity. If you were an honest-to-goodness advisor - you would see that you have not possessed it (in any appreciable amount) for weeks now.

OldTimer - Honestly - Whatever rut you are in right now - work it out - and I do mean this in the most positive way.

One more thing - if you are going to quote out of context - you shouldn't do it on the same page of the same thread - it's poor form

Jeez, a little hardcore are we?? If a pharmacy follows work flow, then helping the next patient in line is doable. We pass the problem off to a tech at drop off or to myself or my partner. The cashier then moves on to the next patient. Granted, I may be busy, so my lead tech fixes the issue in a matter of minutes. But very rarely do we hold up the line. If the issue is going to take time, then we inform the patient...Sending the problem to a centralized location where the patient has no clue what the hell is going on seems a bit much...We like to communicate with them whenever possible...

Then you my friend have little or no emotional connection with the patient because my patients come to me because they trust me... dont take my first sentence personally, but i believe retail is what you make of it...I choose to be emotionally involved with the patient...

I don't take it personally and I never said that I don't like a connection with my pts. I actually have a decent group of them that like to come by and shoot the bull with us. I have plenty of customers that come to us because they like us. But, the majority that never step foot in the store, don't want a personal connection. Those are just happy with getting it now. My store is very similar in volume to yours. It is hard to make a personal connection to everyone. Those that want it, come inside, ask questions, and get it. Retail is what you make of it, and I actually enjoy it quite a bit.

Members don't see this ad :)
You know what is weird about "Power"? I seem to have less time to spend with any one patient because there is another one desperately waiting for me to counsel them so they can get the h#ll out the door.

As they cut staff it is really going to get interesting. You have to counsel all "new" rxs. Ultimately, there may be no rph overlap. Consider how a new rx gets counseled while you 1. hit the bathroom 2. heat up your food {12 hr shift} 3. take multiple copies from a competitor.

I am still at full staff and this is already an issue. If they cut staff too much this thing will implode.

I remember my short stint with the hell hole known as Walgreens. We had a TWO DAY wait time at one of the stores I worked at!

What in the world? We get peeps out 10 to 20 minutes..average. I got one guy out tonight in 4 minutes.

45 minutes....2 days? You're a nut.

You know what is weird about "Power"? I seem to have less time to spend with any one patient because there is another one desperately waiting for me to counsel them so they can get the h#ll out the door.

As they cut staff it is really going to get interesting. You have to counsel all "new" rxs. Ultimately, there may be no rph overlap. Consider how a new rx gets counseled while you 1. hit the bathroom 2. heat up your food {12 hr shift} 3. take multiple copies from a competitor.

I am still at full staff and this is already an issue. If they cut staff too much this thing will implode.

since when does Wags allow you to do 12 hour shifts (other than midnight)?

I don't take it personally and I never said that I don't like a connection with my pts. I actually have a decent group of them that like to come by and shoot the bull with us. I have plenty of customers that come to us because they like us. But, the majority that never step foot in the store, don't want a personal connection. Those are just happy with getting it now. My store is very similar in volume to yours. It is hard to make a personal connection to everyone. Those that want it, come inside, ask questions, and get it. Retail is what you make of it, and I actually enjoy it quite a bit.

Point taken...we seem to be on the "same" side!

since when does Wags allow you to do 12 hour shifts (other than midnight)?
Since they started rolling back pharmacy hours. It started before Power, and now many pharmacy departments are 9 to 9. The front end may be open longer. Some days there is overlap, and some days it's a 12 hr shift for a solo pharmacist.

Since they started rolling back pharmacy hours. It started before Power, and now many pharmacy departments are 9 to 9. The front end may be open longer. Some days there is overlap, and some days it's a 12 hr shift for a solo pharmacist.

oh i had no idea...in my district we try to work longer than 8 hr shifts and the DM frowns up on it

how does the 12 hr work for you guys, 4 on 3 off or something?

oh i had no idea...in my district we try to work longer than 8 hr shifts and the DM frowns up on it

how does the 12 hr work for you guys, 4 on 3 off or something?

Walgreens 12 hour shifts work similar to this. I have a rotation made out already in case my store goes to 9-9.

All shifts are covered by you and your staff, no more floater for 2 shifts a week. The pharmacy is open 76 hours a week (both weekend shifts are 9-5 or 10-6.) You have 4 hours of overlapper week to use, 2 per day, usually on monday and tuesday since those are your busiest days. One of those days you would work 8 hours, the other 6. You would work every-other weekend. One day a week you would work a 12 hour shift and one you would work a 6 hour shift. The other day in the week you would be off when your partner is working his/her 12 hour shift. So lets do the math, 8 + 6 + 6 + 12 = 32 * 2 weeks = 64 hours, and throw in working every other weekend, + another 16 hours = an 80 hour pay period.

I had my schedule set up to where on the day that you would both come in for 6 hours, just do another 12 one week and off the next. It was turned down because they need you scheduled for 10 shifts, no matter the length, per pay period for the way they factor your vacation days. I plan on having it scheduled like we both work a 6 hour shift on each Wed, but we will both just cover for each other and actually just do a 12 hour shift that day, being off the next wed. That way you only work on 9 days per 2 weeks, instead of 10. I would like the extra whole day off. On our weekends off we will both get 3 day weekends.

i talked to a pharmacist at a call center the other day to get a copy... i didn't have to wait and i was connected directly... i don't like the concept of POWER but that was nice..

Walgreens 12 hour shifts work similar to this. I have a rotation made out already in case my store goes to 9-9.

All shifts are covered by you and your staff, no more floater for 2 shifts a week. The pharmacy is open 76 hours a week (both weekend shifts are 9-5 or 10-6.) You have 4 hours of overlapper week to use, 2 per day, usually on monday and tuesday since those are your busiest days. One of those days you would work 8 hours, the other 6. You would work every-other weekend. One day a week you would work a 12 hour shift and one you would work a 6 hour shift. The other day in the week you would be off when your partner is working his/her 12 hour shift. So lets do the math, 8 + 6 + 6 + 12 = 32 * 2 weeks = 64 hours, and throw in working every other weekend, + another 16 hours = an 80 hour pay period.

We have been doing this at my grocery store for a year and a half. The worst schedule I have ever worked. It really is terrible.

Members don't see this ad :)
We have been doing this at my grocery store for a year and a half. The worst schedule I have ever worked. It really is terrible.

You really are Debbie Downer. I don't remember the last time you liked anything.

I had my schedule set up to where on the day that you would both come in for 6 hours, just do another 12 one week and off the next. It was turned down because they need you scheduled for 10 shifts, no matter the length, per pay period for the way they factor your vacation days. I plan on having it scheduled like we both work a 6 hour shift on each Wed, but we will both just cover for each other and actually just do a 12 hour shift that day, being off the next wed. That way you only work on 9 days per 2 weeks, instead of 10. I would like the extra whole day off. On our weekends off we will both get 3 day weekends.

If I were you I would just work 12 hour shifts all the time. Work like mon,tue,off,off,fri,sat,sun,off,off,wed,thu,off,off,off

I think that would be a nice schedule forget about the overlap especially at my store where the busiest day always varies.

If I were you I would just work 12 hour shifts all the time. Work like mon,tue,off,off,fri,sat,sun,off,off,wed,thu,off,off,off

I think that would be a nice schedule forget about the overlap especially at my store where the busiest day always varies.

Or this would be even better Mon,off,off,thu,fri,sat,sun,off,tue,wed,off,off,off,off. If you want 4 day weekends.

Some of the stores do this. I hate 12 hour shifts with a passion. To long to work without a break or any relief.

I was thinking about pharmacy in about 2001 and did very well on PCATs at the time. I was being encouraged by my bosses and the director to go into it. However, I stayed out of it. Things were already starting to get bad around that time, and then hours were being cut in 2004 and layoffs of staff began. It stopped being such a cushy job around then, with the benefit of assistance to help a high workload. Then came such things the company wanted, like shrinking workstaff to zero outside pharmacists, similar givebacks during union negotiations like what was listed earlier, with the end of overlap, for instance. Then came bigger hits, like required counseling+fewer techs+the company actually wanting the pharmacist to shut down and walk a patient out to the store to sell them bananas (I **** you not) if they were on K+ wasting diuretics.

Even now, the layoffs are massive, and from about a year ago where they still needed pharmacists, there is now a level where they are actually able to fill the hours now and manage even cutting back on RPh hours. In this sense, the unions really have been doing a number and covering the corporations.

Really, I'm glad I didn't go into pharmacy because the working conditions are only getting worse, plus reimbursement is getting worse as well. If I was a pharmacist now, i'd probably be thinking about how I ruined my life.

I was thinking about pharmacy in about 2001 and did very well on PCATs at the time. I was being encouraged by my bosses and the director to go into it. However, I stayed out of it. Things were already starting to get bad around that time, and then hours were being cut in 2004 and layoffs of staff began. .

I agree that was sort of the beginning to what we are seeing now. I saw it too but I took a hopelessly optimistic approach and assumed things would get better not worse. Fooled me!

Really, I'm glad I didn't go into pharmacy because the working conditions are only getting worse, plus reimbursement is getting worse as well. If I was a pharmacist now, i'd probably be thinking about how I ruined my life.

I would guess there are many doctors who think going into medicine has ruined thier life. Remember the grass isn't always greener. All of healthcare has big problems right now. After all the headaches, heartaches, work and massive student loan debt you will incur for medical school, going to pharmacy school in 2001 may not have been such a bad option. By the time you are done with your residency you have missed out on a potential salary of close to 1 million dollars if you would have been a pharmacist the whole time.

Last edited:
That's not always how it is. The income earning potential of a physician is highly variable, and arguably, higher, depending on the areas one goes into. There is a tremendous level of autonomy, even under bosses, that doesn't exist in retail pharmacy, when every from from a director to a store manager is bitching to you. In that sense, the money made or money lost going extra, could be made up over a few years, plus add some satisfaction.

One other thing is pharmacy schools are not cheap either. So we're talking six years, vs eight for medical (with undergrad), then let's say 3 years for a short residency. We're talking 5 years more than a pharmacy. That does not compute to 1,000,000 in lost wages at the 101k pharmacist salary level that pops up a lot.

And of course, the factor remains that if you're a pharmacist, you're not really healthcare, because the sector has structured itself as retail sales. You might be in one of the divisions of healthcare, but in the end, you're working a retail sales job and it really isn't unlike it, in my experience.

Also, one can throw out there that one can go to a CC, take criminal justice for a few semesters and then enroll in law enforcement and bring home way more, way earlier than a pharmacist if they become suburban cops. Then move up to Sheriff, for instance, who are Suffolk Co. NY's highest paid government employees, going to some 200k, while regular cops are bringing in 100k+ for three day shifts.

Another track people go into is Sanitation or transit, like subways. Like law enforcement, you get your retirement in 20 years of service and you're done in your early 40's, free to retire or get another job for some more cash. They nearly have us all beat.

how does a thread bout a walgreens POWER get transformed to a PHARMD vs MD argument?:thumbdown:

thats hardcore...i wish we could just incorporate 10 hours shifts into to the schedule

at the 24 hr store, we do 8 straight (M-M, then T off, work W and Th, then 3 day weekend)....the 3 day weekend is nice, but 8 straight days in the pharmacy = brutal

at a non 24 hour store tats still 8-10pm, they work M-W, Th off, F-Sun, Mon off, Tues-Fri, weekend off....this is a nice balanced but you dont get the 3 day weekend

those are the most common shifts im used to seeing....but yea in my area i havent heard much bout these 12 hour shifts

its amazing how many insecure posters there are who always want to go way off topic to respond b/c they think they are under criticizm

Its really not that far off topic. Slight365 used Walgreesn POWER as a reason why he was glad he did not go into pharm school. I replied that the grass insn't always greener. Now if I continue to responed and it turns into a big pissing match about MD verse PharmD, well then you can complain about going off topic. Really no one will listen or care. Its kind of a running joke around here on how fast things go off topic. Spiriva and Z-pack are zen masters at derailing a thread. :laugh:

First of all I don't hate Walgreens. There was a time they were the premier retail Pharmacy Chain in the world. That is no longer the case. Their growth strategy as faltered as they moved into the expensive real estate markets on both costs. Their CEO quit/was fired/forced to resign? They hired marketing guru from Walmart to completely re-do their planograms and merchandise mix. They have been out foxed and boxed in by CVS at every turn. I expect they will be back.

The problem I have with Power is it destroys the relationship between the patient and the pharmacist. The theory of Power is that it doesn't matter who fills your prescriptions. It doesn't matter who you speak to on the phone. It's the exact opposite of the CVS stratgey. They attempt (however poorly) to measure the emotional connection between the Pharmacist and the patient. They want it that way and I don't think even if they implement some type of central fill it will be at the expense of the pharmacist/patient relationship.

They are using Power for one reason and one reason only and that is to save money. They are reducing store hours and that's really good for serving the community. I filled four scripts within 30 minutes of closing the other night from two different patients that were from two different ER's. Earlier closing would not work for them.... The reason you thats the reason is they are not marketing it to the public.

and may i add, they decided to move into pittsburgh where giant eagle has the stronghold, and are getting the rear end handed to them in that district

Its really not that far off topic. Slight365 used Walgreesn POWER as a reason why he was glad he did not go into pharm school. I replied that the grass insn't always greener. Now if I continue to responed and it turns into a big pissing match about MD verse PharmD, well then you can complain about going off topic. Really no one will listen or care. Its kind of a running joke around here on how fast things go off topic. Spiriva and Z-pack are zen masters at derailing a thread. :laugh:

this turned into a earning potential thread between md and pharmd....a normal person knows it doesnt matter if you make 100K or 200K, you can live and retire comfortably if you manage your money well

however, there is a lot of insecurity and hence the thread gets diver tedb/c people think they themselves are under attack

Yeah - because there are no requirements like a Pharm D or national boards...

I agree with the chain part though - The bit about working in a pharmacy stressing volume over patient care is exactly what is wrong with the whole thing.

yep....ive been told thru various channels to keep my consulting to a limit...its gotten so bad, i just write notes on the pt leaflet thingy

thats hardcore...i wish we could just incorporate 10 hours shifts into to the schedule

at the 24 hr store, we do 8 straight (M-M, then T off, work W and Th, then 3 day weekend)....the 3 day weekend is nice, but 8 straight days in the pharmacy = brutal

at a non 24 hour store tats still 8-10pm, they work M-W, Th off, F-Sun, Mon off, Tues-Fri, weekend off....this is a nice balanced but you dont get the 3 day weekend

those are the most common shifts im used to seeing....but yea in my area i havent heard much bout these 12 hour shifts

They have 8 x 10 hr shifts at the CPO. You can even do 8-on, 6-off and that's not an overnight shift.

They have 8 x 10 hr shifts at the CPO. You can even do 8-on, 6-off and that's not an overnight shift.

may i ask wat CPO is?

and IMO 8 10 hr shifts in a row would be a killer, we think 8 straight 8 hr are a drag

all my cvs buddies and giant eagle buddies have worked theirs on to 4 on and 3 off....i just dont know why they cant let us follow suit

if you're a pharmacist, you're not really healthcare

Huh?

You know the BEST thing about retail pharmacy...peeps appreciate you. Yes, there are miserable people..the same people that scream at the car dealer, and the supermarket, and their spouses,and their doctors,etc.

And then there are patients who interupt you..because they don't want to miss the opportunity ..because you're Always BUSY...and you have a full "waiting room",to tell you " YOU were right about that drug interaction...my doctor was glad you caught it". SWEET.

Forces want to take us down. But the people love personal, professional service. That's what sells. Ok, and price and location. :laugh:

I haven't the slightest idea what your talking about - we walk the straight and narrow here in the Pharmacy forum...

Everyone need to read the comments section on http://theangriestpharmacist.com and take a look at what Walgreen insiders are saying about the POWER program. This program is a real kick in the butt for pharmacists.

I worked that exact schedule for like 15 years. It was a good schedule. Lots of off time. The only problems were long 12 hour days, no overlap made it hard to do other things that needed to be done beyond dispensing, also you never actually saw your partner. Seriously, I would sometimes go a year without seeing my partner. I would usually just leave him notes if I needed to tell him something, sometimes call the next day on the phone.

The other schedule I worked (Revco) included shorter overlap days on M,W,F and off days (or 12hr days) on Tues, Thur, Sat, short day Sun depending upon the week. It was a two week cycle. I did not really like that schedule. Seems like you were working all the time.

i strongly oppose the walgreens POWER system, so ive decided to write to walgreens corporate denouncing the system as well as CVS, Rite Aid, and Krogers hoping they can use their influence in pharmacy to put it down as well...cant say im not trying, and yes i do work for walgreens

wow i was not aware that there were Walgreens without pharmacies...that is craziness!!! This is all looking pretty bad to me and I work for Walgreens CPO. Glad Im not store level anymore!

Walgreen's in on a "POWER" trip.

Personally, I wouldnt mind a central call center. Phone calls are annoying as I have to always pick it up in the midst of helping a customer. However, if CVS were to come out with a central fill system, I wouldnt love the company as much as I love them now.

I wonder where do they come up with the idea that central fill systems are cost saving. I have seen central fill from Duane Reade and it is just a pure headache. It causes more trouble than it helps.

At the CVS I work at, we do central fills but not everything can be done through central fill unfortunately. We're still a really busy store.

OK...Power is a new program developed by wags, it is basically a ctral location that recives all the rxs scanned at the pharmacies and they are all brought there where techs type them all day, they also answer all the phone calls directed to the pharmacies, currently there is 1 call center in orlando,Fl that takes care of 100s of pharmacies in fl, they are building another call center in South florida by years end...lately wags has been pushing auto refil beacuse all the refils will be done in the call center and shipped to the pharmacy the next day, and now when a customer comes to drop off their script they have a choice either to pick it up today or tomorow, today will be filled in the pharmacy , while tomorrow will be shipped there from the call center.....how is this bad....wags decided that this system should eliminate tech hours and basically all the pharmds do are cashier work because that is when they can consult,...if power works then the script volume per pharmacy will be less and less pharmacists are needed, thus less jobs....and no they will not all be working in the central location because you only need a few pharmds to facilitate, imagine 4 pharmds for 100 pharmacies....yes it saves wags money, but it will lead to massive job loss....now you have to decide which side you are on
FYI!!!! There is more than 4 pharmacist for 100 stores....get your facts straight!

FYI!!!! There is more than 4 pharmacist for 100 stores....get your facts straight!

Please set the facts straight for us. How many pharmacists per 100 stores? What are the quotas on scripts verified per hour ect. Please enlighten us all on how it really is and set those facts straight.

Some dude named qwead is on many threads in here saying it is the end of retail pharmacy as many techs and pharmacists will be fired due to it.

Anyone have some insight on it?

Well it might happen if virtual reality pharmacists are able to replace the consultation part of the actual pharmacist. This has caused some concern w/ the fl board of pharmacy as well as some of the pharmacy associations. Walgreens power program has isolated the function of the retail pharmacist to only patient consultation. A computer program can out preform any person's recall for info. The design will group 4 to 5 stores together and 1 pharmacist will over see these stores. This is what i have heard the future plan to be and it will eliminate alot of pharmacist positions. I am surprised that not more pharmacists are aware.

I remember this POWER crap. A recruiter told me they were planning to have it in Cali last spring. It is now almost fall and nothing yet. A complete joke of an idea. This system offers no advance for the patients. It is bound to fail.

OK...Power is a new program developed by wags, it is basically a ctral location that recives all the rxs scanned at the pharmacies and they are all brought there where techs type them all day, they also answer all the phone calls directed to the pharmacies, currently there is 1 call center in orlando,Fl that takes care of 100s of pharmacies in fl, they are building another call center in South florida by years end...lately wags has been pushing auto refil beacuse all the refils will be done in the call center and shipped to the pharmacy the next day, and now when a customer comes to drop off their script they have a choice either to pick it up today or tomorow, today will be filled in the pharmacy , while tomorrow will be shipped there from the call center.....how is this bad....wags decided that this system should eliminate tech hours and basically all the pharmds do are cashier work because that is when they can consult,...if power works then the script volume per pharmacy will be less and less pharmacists are needed, thus less jobs....and no they will not all be working in the central location because you only need a few pharmds to facilitate, imagine 4 pharmds for 100 pharmacies....yes it saves wags money, but it will lead to massive job loss....now you have to decide which side you are on
What is job situation in FL for an RPH looking to get a FL license and at somepoint split time between and FL and WI?

So what is the latest? Is POWER on hold or have they resumed rolling it out?
There have now rolled out to 1000 stores and still going (still only in Florida and Arizona). No info yet on other states.