What is wrong w/ my stat??? not competitive for maryland and nj?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mike2young

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

you stats are competitive...now, what else have you done besides getting good grades?
remember, the competition is fierce and will only get stronger....have you contacted any of the schools?... i hope you hear good news....soon
-ld

Members don't see this ad :)
Here me out guys.....
I don't know what's wrong w/ me.....actually my stat is killing me
my gpa is not good but not bad imo...which is 3.5
also my dat is not great but not bad which is
bio: 22 o.chem: 23 g.chem: 25 q: 22 r: 24 p: 19 (S:23 A: 23)
I applied to them mid august but I have not heard from umd and umdnj. This is killing me...
They are keep saying they are reviewing the file for 3 months...what am I gonna do...
I'm literally hopeless...am I not competitive enough for them?

That's a sin.

i agree...you applied too late relative to the other competitive applicants

Here me out guys.....
I applied to them mid august but I have not heard from umd and umdnj. This is killing me...
They are keep saying they are reviewing the file for 3 months...what am I gonna do...

Your stat is fine.

Sometimes you never know what type of applicants schools are looking for exactly, thats why you gotta apply to a good number of schools to maximize your chances.

I mean, granted that my GPA is lower, but I have a 24/25 and I didnt get an invite from Maryland.....

I have stats like yours and got an interview at Maryland, but no word after that. There are lots of people with lower numbers than me or you who were accepted. While DAT and GPA are a good predictor of who well one will do in dental school, they are obviously not everything. But, no rejection yet, right?

what residence do you reside in?

Here me out guys.....

I'm a reapplicant with a 3.4 gpa 21 AA, last yr i applied in august and got 3 interviews all post dec 1 and no acceptances. (I live in NY) this yr i applied in june with the same stats, a little more shadowing, i had 5 pre dec 1 interviews and 2 acceptances. Although i didnt even get an interview invite from UMDNJ either, but the point is most people underestimate the importance of applying early. Good luck to you, your scores are much more competitive than mine im sure you'll get in somewhere this year.

Are you an international student?

Members don't see this ad :)
U definetly did not apply to late, my stats are worse and I applied in late september and already interviewed and got accepted to maryland. Maybe they just do not like you.

Im not trying to be negative, but Mike....don't be an idiot. You know your stats (including ur ECs) are more then competitive, which is great, its a good boat to be in. I dont understand why you are saying "maybe im not good enough for dental school" when you have already interviewed at 3 schools and been accepted to at least 1 of them. You made a point to mention you didnt apply till august. Thats probably the biggest factor, and i think you know that. Stop fishing for compliments and own up to your mistakes. Its still pretty early in the game, so if you're THAT worried, be proactive and call the schools. Other then that, be grateful for how well you have done this far, and have a little more confidence in yourself, you'll need it in the interviews you will hopefully get.

Again, my apologies to everyone for sounding negative.

to post these scores and say they are "not great" is basically a textbook case of "fishing for compliments." Its also a slap in the face to many people that struggle with standardized tests.

August is late for 1st round. Pre-med advisers recommend getting it in during the summer.

I don't trust anyone with 9 posts...you're either lying or you have a serious problem with your application

if its the former..then do humanity a favor and play in traffic
if its the latter...then do something to correct your problems (shadow, volunteer, etc)

haha. people on this site are brutal! :laugh:

not that brutal.

this guy should be ashamed of himself. to come on here and post those stats and then play naive. this last week has been very traumatic for many applicants (I know, I've been there twice).

Why is this thread cracking me up?:laugh: