What is wrong with me? What else do I need to do? Somebody please help me.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theDr.

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated in may of '03 w/ a 3.98 with a business degree and I finished the following courses throughout my undergraduate degree.

- 9 credit hours of bio (3 A's)
- 8 credit hours of inorganic chem (A, A-)
- 6 credit hours of organic chem (2 A's)
- 8 credit hours physics (2 A's)
- 3 credit hours of organic chem lab (A-)
- 4 credit hours of biochemistry (A).
- I scored a 25 on the April '03 mcat and retook it
this April.

I did a research fellowship in the summor of 2002, i also did some research in the fall of '03 and took some MPH courses (they were free). i have a publication, good clinical experience, I have been employed full time since jan of '04 as tumor board technician.

Do i need to do a post-bac program and take more science courses. Do i need to get masters program? I have no idea what else to do. I was waitlisted at UMDNJ and I haven't hear anything from NYCOM while people from my interview group have been accepted.

I thought i had a great shot at NYCOM, i have a DO letter from a graduate there, thought my stats were good. But like i said, other kids from my interview group have recieved acceptance letters and when I called they said I was still under review...this is horrible.

It already seems late to do somethign for the fall....I did apply late but I only want to get into a DO program. PLEASE. i NEED SOME ADVICE HERE.

Should I:
- just re-apply early (send in aacomas June)
- take a summer course or two to show i can do higher level work
- go to a foreign med school (don't want to do this)
- NYCOM is my top choice
- im screwed
- i am 24 years old already -- i don't want to have to go back to school to get into a DO school again. What should I DO?????

Members don't see this ad.

I've told you before and I am telling you now.... You applied too late. Remember when we all told you to wait and apply this year. That is why. You have a great application but you applied to late.

My advice...................

1. APPLY EARLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Take a summer course and put on your application what course you are taking and then send the schools an email to let them know how well you did. Try Genetics or Physiology or Cell Biology or Microbiology or Bacteriology or Immunology, etc.... Any of the higher science courses would be great.

3. APPLY EARLY!!!!!!

4. Make sure your essay is perfect

5. APPLY EARLY!!!!!!!!!!!

6. APPLY EARLY!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I have made my point :laugh: :D :cool:

Seriously, good luck. You really should be able to get in this year. And if your MCAT improved, then that will help even more.

I wish you luck :luck: :luck:

Hi,
It does seem like you have a very strong application.
Did you try calling NYCOM and asking whats going on with your application?
Maybe you could try to do something clinical in the future year if you don't get off the waitlist and don't hear from NYCOM. Maybe you should send NYCOM a letter of intent. It seems to work for some people.
Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you mean clinical? Working in tumor registry isn't clinical? Can you elaborate? I am also looking to hopefully do some research as well. Thank you.

Do you interact with patients face to face at the tumor registry?
I am not really sure what the duties of the job are.
Anything job where you would be interacting with patients is clinical.
Once again, I don't see anything missing from your application but medical schools do like to see that you didn't waste your time while trying to get in.
If you still have a chance to get waitlisted at NYCOM I would write a letter of intent. I have read previous posts for other schools where it might have helped.

Hi Dr.
I am in the same position as you, except I am a little worse. I majored in Biological Sciences and at the time I applied, I had a GPA of 3.68. I took my MCAT in Aug 2003 and got a 25. I did not apply through AMCAS until October after I receieved my score and I applied through AACOMAS even later. Consequently, I did not get in any MD school, I had applied to a few of them anyways and I am on waitlist on UMDNJ. I am sure you will get off the waitlist for UMDNJ and it is a good school. You might be able to know late in the summer though. I exactly understand your situation because I am about to turn 23 too and am desperate to get in as soon as possible. However, I am not hopeless at all. If you really want to get in this year, write a letter of Intent to UMDNJ, send your updated transcript and write an email to the dean. I am definitely sure you'd get in. If you don't have a heart for UMDNJ, now that they put you on waitlist, just apply again but early. You are at a disadvantage because you applied very late. NYCOM cannot accept late applicants. Don't worry about losing a year, definitely you'd do well in MCAT and this time you even have a chance of getting in an MD IF you apply early. Just don't be negative; everything happens for a reason and waiting for a year does not matter even if you are 25. Just do everything it takes to pursue your dreams, regardless of your age. Hope it helps.
Good luck.

I have been out of school since dec '03 and working the tumor registry at my local hospital and volunteering...so i feel like i have don't have much to send though.

Ok, so then just send a letter of intent and if possible a recommendation letter from where you have been working. Email the dean as well, his name is Wallace I think.

I'd agree with Amy in saying that your timing was a bit off. Apply in June or July this year, you sound like a strong applicant. Also, have a few of us read your PS just to double check you're on the right track with it!

I thought I would clarify my above post so people didn't think I was being harsh to you. You applied this year in January/Feburary which was really late. That is why I said if you apply early or on-time for that matter, then you should have a good chance of getting in.

Amy B said:
I thought I would clarify my above post so people didn't think I was being harsh to you. You applied this year in January/Feburary which was really late. That is why I said if you apply early or on-time for that matter, then you should have a good chance of getting in.

Wow, you didn't apply until Feb? I would have to agree, that was the problem. Apply by the end of summer and you should be good to go.

danimastani said:
I exactly understand your situation because I am about to turn 23 too and am desperate to get in as soon as possible.

Damn, now I feel 26 is so old... :rolleyes:

Don't feel that bad misyel, I'm 31...and I know there are some older ones out there too...

Age shouldn't matter...

Members don't see this ad :)
i just turned 24 a month ago and i feel it in my bones....getting old

theDr. said:
i just turned 24 a month ago and i feel it in my bones....getting old

(pats head)

its ok....I hate for you to be a 29 y/o thats just starting out as an M1 this fall....oh wait thats me :D

Did you only apply to two schools? I would apply much more broadly. Also, did you bomb the interview?

i thought it went well. the NYCOM interview was mainly conversational but they seemed fine. Afterwards, I know i coudl have said some things differenty...etc. but it was like i said "i hate sick people."

I am just at a loss right now. Like i said, two other people from my group got acceptance letters this week, but me and another kid i know from my interview group haven't heard a thing. I call on monday and they said there was no other info on the computer -- only that i was given an interview.

I thought i would be competitive enough and there were slots obvioulsy -- so im hoping maybe they only looked at half the people from my group -- but if they really really liked me they would have given me a letter by now....what should I be thinking/doing right now? thanks.

box29 said:
Don't feel that bad misyel, I'm 31...and I know there are some older ones out there too...

Age shouldn't matter...

I am 30 and will not even be applying until I am 32 or 33 :)

MamaMD

theDr. said:
i thought it went well. the NYCOM interview was mainly conversational but they seemed fine. Afterwards, I know i coudl have said some things differenty...etc. but it was like i said "i hate sick people."

I am just at a loss right now. Like i said, two other people from my group got acceptance letters this week, but me and another kid i know from my interview group haven't heard a thing. I call on monday and they said there was no other info on the computer -- only that i was given an interview.

I thought i would be competitive enough and there were slots obvioulsy -- so im hoping maybe they only looked at half the people from my group -- but if they really really liked me they would have given me a letter by now....what should I be thinking/doing right now? thanks.

Try not to second guess your interview performance unless you really think you bombed it. From here all you can do is move on and try again. It is rough and I know how you are feeling. Just try to do things a bit differently this year and you should be able to get in. The schools will ask if you have applied there before and if so what have you done since applying there before. I think you would be able to say that this year you applied early rather than late like the previous cycle. Perhapes if you take a summer course you could include that as well.

Good luck. Try not to let this get you down. There may still be a chance to get off the waitlist, but you are smart in preparing for the next cycle just in case things don't happen like you want them to.

I wish you luck. Keep your chin up and think positively. Try not to take things personally. It may just boil down to timing rather than anything to do with you. All my best.

The young'uns are so cute, aren't they, Amy? :)

Age is so irrelevant. I'll likely be finishing up my residency about the time my daughter graduates from high school (IF she graduates). At least she has her daddy available for Career Day cause I'm sure "career student" isn't going to impress anyone!

Willow~

well i still haven't received any word or notification that I am on the waitlist, or priority waitlist. When I called monday, they said there was still no info on my record and I was still "under review." So like i said, I am just really really hoping they still have not gotten to my record as of yet -- but i don't see how they couldn't have. what do you all think is going on honestly?

Your application owns.

The sagely advice of Miss AmyB shines through yet again. :idea: APPLY EARLY. Lord have mercy, I've applied for medical school 4 years in a row and I can tell you that you have a much better chance getting in by applying early. Many schools operate off of a rolling admissions process. Therefore, it is to your advantage with a strong application to go ahead and get your foot in the door.

If you apply in Feburary, no one is gonna really give you a good look.

Nuff said. Mind and Body strong grasshopper. You will definately be a doctor, if not in 4 years, it'll be 5 :) We're all in it together! :thumbup:

Regards,
Richie

Richie, have you gotten in somewhere? Why were you doing in between those years to improve you chances of getting in?

PS -- what do people think about St. Georges, or Ross, or American????? thanks

Hey :)

I am accepted at WVSOM and I am waitlisted at ECU (my first choice as it's an in state school that is $2,000 bucks a year). :)

Things I did to improve my application? Sheesh, my extracurricular acitivities would take a good 2 hours to type out. Here are a handful:

1) I run two companies that do urology based patient referrals over the Internet right now. (see www.vascenter.com and www.urostonecenter.com )

2) Certified EMT with experience

3) 4 year voluntary "internship" with Dr. Koseruba, one of the oldest, most respected pediatricians in the nation.

4) Member of the IEEE and the ACM (Computer Science society that set the standards for technology)

5) I taught physicians about technology and how to utilize it without the fluff that the salesmen give em.

6) I write music, have a contract for two albums when I get the other 7 pieces written. Did small live concert for Sony back in 01'

7) Habitat for Humanity/ Service Projects/ Soup Kitchen la la la hehe

Now, let's examine the numbers:

GPA 3.53
MCAT First try: VR 10, BS 6, PS 7 (Writing score: S)
MCAT Second try: VR 10, BS 6, PS 7 (Writing Score: S)
MCAT Final Try: VR 12, BS 8, PS 7 (Writing score: T)

As one can see, my biology score sucked cause I was a Computer Science major. Had to teach myself biology using those ExamKrackers audio CDs. My GPA is adequate but not stellar by any means.

I'm 24 now and it feels good to get into school finally. IT is fun but there are no decent jobs and sales/management is a big mess. I am happy to be accepted into school.

Now, blame the AOA again because I had never even HEARD of Osteopathic medicine until March of last year when my best friend got accepted into WVSOM. I like the DO philosophy better and it attunes itself better to my critical thinking skills. However all the DO schools cost a truckload of money and the MD school up the road from me is dirt cheap. :)

Hope that paints a better picture for you of my application history. But as a "professional medical school applicant" my best advice to you is this:

Your application is awesome, apply early!

You WILL get in. :) As the old saying goes, earlybird gets the worm :)

Thanks for the vote of confidence...my application will be submitted June 1st...and hopefully, by the grace of God, I will still get into NYCOM.

Richie,

$2000 a year?? I did not know that was possible. That is less than my undergrad!

Dr., good luck on getting into NYCOM.

I go to nycom.. should be studying for boards, but dont ask why I am reading this forum instead.. it was on in the library so i decided to check it out.. anyway if u dont get it apply to the nutrition program here at nycom... it is what a lot of the kids do to get in here.. if u have further questions email me, not sure how this thing works but i guess like most forums u can look up my email and send me an email.. ill be glad to try and help in anyway i can

Do i need to get a masters or something to get into NYCOM or another DO school if i didn't get in the first time?

you dont have to.. nycom has a combined bs/do program with nyit and graduates of nycom are as young as 24.... but the nutrition program is just a suggestion on improving your shots at nycom.. you seem like a fine candidate from what u posted... I dunno why u didnt get in...

nymedstdnt,
I PM'd you because I couldn't get your email. Can you please Private message me and send your email and i'll get in touch with you. Thank you.
thedr.

TheDr. applied in February of this year?