What is your opinion ( pharmacy law FL)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tompharm

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I got a concern to ask.
Basically I am a PRN pharmacist for a very small chain pharmacy. I only work about 2-4 days a month and most of the time at different pharmacies each day, rotating, between about 5 pharmacies.

Well I just started this job and everything was going great. I liked it because they were "legit" and following laws. However, this last week I worked at a very busy pharmacy and at this pharmacy they have a "manager", he is not a pharmacist and at the time I thought he had a tech license. He was basically filling a lot of the meds and handling insurance queries. I thought everything was ok until one of the other techs mentioned to me that he was not a technician. So, I looked and I didn't see a license for him on the wall.

So now I am concerned. I mean I am just a fill in pharmacist, not a part time, full time, or pharmacy manager. I asked other pharmacists and some say I can get in trouble for letting him work and other say it is a concern for the pharmacy manager or pharmacy.

I have been to the board meetings and it seems like the only people that get in trouble for things during an inspection are the pharmacy manager and pharmacy.

I also know that some techs can work in pharmacies unlicensed till they get their license.

I mean I don't really want to bring this issue up with this man because he seems very confrontational and I think it could cost me a job.

Members don't see this ad.

legally you could get in trouble, but being a PRN pharmacist, the board would be more likely to go after the manager who is working without a tech license, and the pharmacy manager. As pharmacist, you are legally responsible for supervising technicians when you are on duty--and that includes ensuring that non-licensed personnel are not doing pharmacy work.