What it takes to be surgeon to high profile athletes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted421268

what does it take to be like Dr. James Andrew and those surgeons who deal with high profile athletes and etc?

Members don't see this ad.

It takes a lot of patience and willing to give up personal time. Don't do it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
what does it take to be like Dr. James Andrew and those surgeons who deal with high profile athletes and etc?

Lots of schmoozing and money. In today's market, some practices are paying for the right to take care of teams so that they can use it as an advertisement "official doctors of the XYZ team." Oh and also doing lots of training rooms instead of anything else you wanted to do.

A ton of ass kissing. A lot of starting off covering high school games every friday night, making your way up to colleges. Traveling a ton to away games. Being reached on the phone at all times, at the beck and call of the team you are covering. These demands increase with the higher caliber of team and athlete you are dealing with. For me its NOT worth it. I know a LOT of doctors that chase this, spend a fortune doing it. Its not for me.
VERY VERY few will ever get to the status of James Andrews. He is a master businessman.
It involves LOTS of personal sacrifice, loss of family time on weekends, etc.

Do you technically have to be a team physician to see and do surgeries of high profile athletes like NFL players? Is it possible to not be a team physician but being an ortho surgeon doing surgeries on NFL players? But do team physicians stay on the field all the time say the ones who are team physicians of NFL games do they watch the whole game too like on sidelines?