What Job offers are current residents getting?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
~400k for 60-65 hrs a week in the middle of nowhere? I mean if you were telling me you got ~400k for 40 hrs a week in a suburb of a place like Dallas, Houston, Austin, Miami, Seattle, etc I would think you landed a dream job. Chances are you live in a state with state taxes too. Idk doesn't sound like a great gig to me. For being in the middle of nowhere and working that many hours you should be making 500-600k, but then again maybe anesthesia is on the decline.

No state taxes. Where are you getting 60-65 hours a week from? Most people are done by 2-3 and only late and call team stay until 7-9. One weekend call every 6 weeks and one over night call (though it's more like late bc cases at night are rare) per week. This doesn't add up to 60-65 hours. I realize I'm being naive and assuming EVERYTHING is exactly as they said it was during my interviews but I'm coming from residency so it can only get better. Regarding location I've lived in several of the cities you've listed my entire life and am ready to get out. I'd rather go outside at night and see stars than go to a museum. Also, when did 350k people become middle of nowhere?

Members don't see this ad.

I can't speak for anyone else, but since I don't want to go to prison I'm not handing over a single penny more than the 39% federal income tax I am forced to pay so any state with an additional state tax is off my list. Glad to hear you don't have a state tax. I was assuming your typical day was 7-7, but I didn't realize that you were only referring to the late call team. Yeah, I mean nothing will ever be as great as the "sales pitch" just be careful with additional work they will try to load on you for the same income after you sign your contract. I mean that's a personal decision where you want to live. I mean 350k stand alone is a relatively small place assuming it's not a part of a metroplex like Dallas-Ft Worth, Miami-Ft Lauderdale-Palm Peach, etc. It's also a matter of perspective when you compare 350k people to what you've grown up accustomed to. For some that's a huge city and for others it's a small city/town. Either way, as long as you are happy that's all that really matters. If your job is more in the 40-45 hrs a week range then I think it's a good deal assuming there's no catch thats hidden somewhere.

Issue is there is "no perfect job" anymore. Even my friends in major cities (Dallas, DC, San Francisco) true fee for service with no middle man. Economy has been bad, payer mix can change quickly. What was once 50-60% commercial insurance and close to zero medicaid, can become 30-40% commercial insurance and 10% medicaid quickly. My buddy was earning close to 800K circa 2008 in Dallas, than by 2013, his income had taken a nose dive to around 450K. That's a significant drop working 60-65 hours a week. No change in work but big changes in payer mix.

Same with my other friend in the DC/Baltimore area. Fee for service. Was making 500K than economy tanked (and economy didn't really tank in Maryland like other parts). But case load down. Payer mix changes. So he ends up sitting around waiting for cases and making around 350-380K with no benefits fee for service.

In fee for service, you aren't getting paid if you aren't doing cases. If there is a 2 hour gap between cases, that's still your time. It's hard to "go home" when you live in big cities where commutes are are long. So you end up waiting around for those 2 hours. I guess you can technically say you aren't "working". But to me, unless I am home in my regular clothes with no more work to do, I'd still consider waiting around for 2 hours for a case to be considered "working hours" even though I am 2 miles down the street at Starbucks.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
About to graduate. Starting at $370k and bumped to $440k once board certified. We cover one hospital and one surgery center for a total of 16 ORs plus BUSY OB and outside locations. No hearts (unfortunately, I love CV), no transplants, lots of pedi from birth on up but in general they are healthy babies. We have several docs and several CRNAs. The MD on call makes the next day's schedule and you can pick your room and decide to be solo or supervise. Cases done by 7-9pm. We are home call and rarely get called in but we do work post call but usually as extra set of hands and obviously first to go home. We work about every 6th weekend or so. Eight weeks vacation plus two more for CME and stuff like that. I got a moving allowance ($20k) and a signing bonus ($20k). The location for me is great. The town is ~350k people in the mountains with two ski resorts very close by. I signed a few months ago and my patience for the BS and grind of residency dropped off severely and remains barely intact for me to smile and nod through the rest of the academic year.

Thank you for posting, this is exactly what i'm looking for in terms of response. Everyone else complaining about the downfall of anesthesia needs to stop, we already know from your 1000 other post.....i get it anesthesia sucks...... but that's not really what the original question was asking.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you for posting, this is exactly what i'm looking for in terms of response. Everyone else complaining about the downfall of anesthesia needs to stop, we already know from your 1000 other post.....i get it anesthesia sucks...... but that's not really what the original question was asking.
"Busy ob" "rarely get called in". Who is covering ob at night?

You gotta figure out details.

Anyways we "older attendings". Can't believe I am calling myself older but I am 11 years out now. So now middle age in my career.

We know the market for new grads. I can tell you a new grad like blade says should expect to make in the high 200s low 300s say in centra Florida area with 6-7 weeks vacation.

Sheridan pays $300k-325k new grad at one of their central Florida locations with "25k metric bonus" with 7 weeks vacation 1:5/6 in house call and it can be a pretty busy ob service.

Sheridan also pays new grad 325-350k at another hospital in central Florida with 1:3 home call with ob coverage.

~400k for 60-65 hrs a week in the middle of nowhere? I mean if you were telling me you got ~400k for 40 hrs a week in a suburb of a place like Dallas, Houston, Austin, Miami, Seattle, etc I would think you landed a dream job. Chances are you live in a state with state taxes too. Idk doesn't sound like a great gig to me. For being in the middle of nowhere and working that many hours you should be making 500-600k, but then again maybe anesthesia is on the decline.

That job sounds pretty good. You are delusional if you think new grads (and even more experienced people in many parts of the country) are landing better jobs than the one described above. I went to a top tier residency on the east coast and I can tell you that 90% of the offers people in my residency class got were significantly worse than this.

Reactions: 3 users
"Busy ob" "rarely get called in". Who is covering ob at night?

You gotta figure out details.

Anyways we "older attendings". Can't believe I am calling myself older but I am 11 years out now. So now middle age in my career.

We know the market for new grads. I can tell you a new grad like blade says should expect to make in the high 200s low 300s say in centra Florida area with 6-7 weeks vacation.

Sheridan pays $300k-325k new grad at one of their central Florida locations with "25k metric bonus" with 7 weeks vacation 1:5/6 in house call and it can be a pretty busy ob service.

Sheridan also pays new grad 325-350k at another hospital in central Florida with 1:3 home call with ob coverage.

thank you for posting sir, valuable insightful information. lets keep it coming....i'm encouraging everyone, that have insider information on the job market, to post including "older attendings" lol....thank you.

thank you for posting sir, valuable insightful information. lets keep it coming....i'm encouraging everyone, that have insider information on the job market, to post including "older attendings" lol....thank you.
Except that this kind of discussions should be on the private forum.

So how much of an impact are crnas having on the market exactly? It seems like they are more like a chronic disease with occasional acute flare-ups, but are managed well for the most part with routine visits to the PCP.

So how much of an impact are crnas having on the market exactly? It seems like they are more like a chronic disease with occasional acute flare-ups, but are managed well for the most part with routine visits to the PCP.

lol what?!

That job sounds pretty good. You are delusional if you think new grads (and even more experienced people in many parts of the country) are landing better jobs than the one described above. I went to a top tier residency on the east coast and I can tell you that 90% of the offers people in my residency class got were significantly worse than this.
He's not delusional, just ignorant. LegitBoss4Life has essentially no experience and no credentials. He isn't an anesthesiologist or even a resident, but he sure makes a lot of bold declarations with great conviction to tell us all how it really is out there. I would put exactly >< this much weight to his opinion of any piece of the job market.

Crnas are having a hard time finally jobs themselves in many major cities unless they settle for $140-160k.

The days of Crnas commanding 180-200k no weekends no calls are just a memory these days in many big cities are few and far in between. Just 2 years ago I know Sheridan was offering 185k for 40 hour CRNA up in Maryland no calls no weekends 7-5pm shifts. No that same job is around $160k.

Crnas are having a hard time finally jobs themselves in many major cities unless they settle for $140-160k.

The days of Crnas commanding 180-200k no weekends no calls are just a memory these days in many big cities are few and far in between. Just 2 years ago I know Sheridan was offering 185k for 40 hour CRNA up in Maryland no calls no weekends 7-5pm shifts. No that same job is around $160k.
And how is this affecting Anesthesiologists? Does it give physicians more leverage?

Members don't see this ad :)
Crna here makes 200.... Doesn't take call or work weekends but she's always the late... Ie last to go home except for the call person. She off the hook at 7 for sure. It's pretty rare for her to get stuck there past 5. BFE. 6 weeks vacation.

It's not rocket science to figure out what the market is like regardless of whether I have experience or credentials. It's not difficult to look up the statistics about what the average salary and bell curve distribution is for anesthesiologists. I have rotated extensively with anesthesiologists in my area and I know my local job market very well. I have followed gaswork.com and I have investigated the market online. Since I have decided to pursue a career in anesthesiology, you better believe I know what I'm getting myself into and what I should expect in the future. The average salary is 348,000 dollars approximately, with 50% of everyone practicing falling between 302,000 and 394,000 dollars and 80% of everyone falls between 261,000 and 435,000 dollars. The top 10% are making >435,000 dollars and the bottom 10% are making less than 261,000 dollars. If you live in a major city or in an area dominated by major corporations you are going to be in the 25-50% and if you live in BFE, are in private practice (non corporate), or have a good payer mix you will be in the 50-75%. If you have a combination of those factors and you work extremely hard you will be in the top 10% and if you work part time you will be in the bottom 10%. Newer graduates are usually starting in the 25-50%. Also, if you take a job in a place like SF, NYC, etc you will "make more" technically, but the reality is after heavy taxes and the expensive cost of living it usually comes out less than most places which is why they "pay you more". If you are working regular hours the previous stats mentioned should reflect those salaries. If you are working in BFE and you are killing yourself working 60-70 hours a week you should be in the top 10% (>435k), probably more like 500k so I don't think my previous statement was that off. That poster was living in a relatively small place (350k people) and was working regular hours so therefore I would expect that person to be in the 50-75% range which he/she is at 370k which is on the lower end of that range probably due to being a new graduate.

It is a lot more complicated than this. You can be in a major metro making more than BFE. You can work at one place and your buddy 5 miles down the road can be making $150k more than you doing the same cases, sometimes with the same surgeons. Everybody wants guidance and generalizations but there's no substitute for getting the actual players to talk to you. And they generally won't do that on a public Internet forum. It's like asking people to post their tax returns online. Even then you won't get the full picture until you are a few months in and see your actual paychecks. The upside is that you can be pleasantly surprised.

It is a lot more complicated than this. You can be in a major metro making more than BFE. You can work at one place and your buddy 5 miles down the road can be making $150k more than you doing the same cases, sometimes with the same surgeons. Everybody wants guidance and generalizations but there's no substitute for getting the actual players to talk to you. And they generally won't do that on a public Internet forum. It's like asking people to post their tax returns online. Even then you won't get the full picture until you are a few months in and see your actual paychecks. The upside is that you can be pleasantly surprised.

it doesn't have to be exact figures, just ball park numbers...i'm just tryingg to get a feel for what is typically offer this days...i mean it goes without saying that some people are going to make more or less depending on many factors. Thanks for your comments nonetheless.

It's not rocket science to figure out what the market is like regardless of whether I have experience or credentials. It's not difficult to look up the statistics about what the average salary and bell curve distribution is for anesthesiologists. I have rotated extensively with anesthesiologists in my area and I know my local job market very well. I have followed gaswork.com and I have investigated the market online. Since I have decided to pursue a career in anesthesiology, you better believe I know what I'm getting myself into and what I should expect in the future. The average salary is 348,000 dollars approximately, with 50% of everyone practicing falling between 302,000 and 394,000 dollars and 80% of everyone falls between 261,000 and 435,000 dollars. The top 10% are making >435,000 dollars and the bottom 10% are making less than 261,000 dollars. If you live in a major city or in an area dominated by major corporations you are going to be in the 25-50% and if you live in BFE, are in private practice (non corporate), or have a good payer mix you will be in the 50-75%. If you have a combination of those factors and you work extremely hard you will be in the top 10% and if you work part time you will be in the bottom 10%. Newer graduates are usually starting in the 25-50%. Also, if you take a job in a place like SF, NYC, etc you will "make more" technically, but the reality is after heavy taxes and the expensive cost of living it usually comes out less than most places which is why they "pay you more". If you are working regular hours the previous stats mentioned should reflect those salaries. If you are working in BFE and you are killing yourself working 60-70 hours a week you should be in the top 10% (>435k), probably more like 500k so I don't think my previous statement was that off. That poster was living in a relatively small place (350k people) and was working regular hours so therefore I would expect that person to be in the 50-75% range which he/she is at 370k which is on the lower end of that range probably due to being a new graduate.
lol, man it seems like you're obsessed. Read Nimbus's post because it is correct. Here's another example - in the city of Los Angeles alone, I know people working "full time" making 250 and some making 700's. If you are going into this specialty just focus on your training and being the best you can be. If you do that, in the end you'll be rewarded. Also, learn about finance/investing so that as you progress, your money is making you money even when you're not working.

This just makes me smile. I just keep working hard and watching from the sideline as these CRNA schools churn out tons of people and price themselves right out of the market. It's not happening overnight, but it is happening. I know and have worked with some very good CRNAs...and also some very bad ones...

My opinions are not personal against those I've worked with...it's against the AANA and the goal of CRNAs in general.

lol, man it seems like you're obsessed. Read Nimbus's post because it is correct. Here's another example - in the city of Los Angeles alone, I know people working "full time" making 250 and some making 700's. If you are going into this specialty just focus on your training and being the best you can be. If you do that, in the end you'll be rewarded. Also, learn about finance/investing so that as you progress, your money is making you money even when you're not working.

i agree with this, very true.

LOL, well I guess somebody has to be vilified on this board besides the CRNAs so why not me.

It's not that your being vilified, you just have a long way to go before you should even consider commenting negatively regarding someone's recent job offer.

Except that this kind of discussions should be on the private forum.

If not comfortable posting publicly, just PM me like some people have been kind enough to do already...i will really appreciate it. I'm eventually going to join the private forum but just not right now (i got to sign up for ASA and all that other good stuff)

Look for a more blended units system. More more fair for the type of work.

True eat what you kill can screw a lot of young naive new grads where senior partners cherry pick the best paying insurance mix. Those senior partner end up out the door around 1pm just in time for a late lunch making twice as money as you are still stuck in Medicare cases till dinner time. Always be sure to ask how cases are divided. Who makes the schedule? If it's true eat what you kill and fair. There should be a rotating number system where each MD is afforded equal opportunity to pick cases.

Blended unit system is more insurance blind so that those who choose the tougher or more units generating cases (or just plain do more volume to generate units)

Agree highly with this...

My group got bought out by the hospital before I got here but before they were eat what you kill. One of my partners actually had his wife call the scheduling office, claim to be the patients and request him. He eventually got caught when one of the patients was like I didn't request him.... He's been a bad actor before I got there... Been on probation. Nurses alleged he smelled like alcohol on night on call and said he was acting weird but we're scared to go against him and suggest a BAC.... So he got away with it. Another night he was on call he called the ER n OB, etc. to make sure nothing was cooking. About 2am he got the call for an emergency case. He allegedly came in, saw they weren't ready, put his pager and phone in his locker (whoops) and went to go nap in his car and couldn't be found until the next am. He's also not board certified or eligible and uses LMAs in lap gyn trendelenberg cases that last 2 hours or so. Admin won't ever fire him bc he does pain procedures, without a fellowship, that brings in extra $.... Even though we supposedly pool our RVUs he jacks with the schedule all the time, makes sure surgeons request him as much as he can and throws a fit when one of us is requested on a daily basis.... I'm so above this ****.... Counting the days until I can go!

Whaaaaaaat?! Those are the types of anesthesiologist that give us a bad name

That sounds nice but is simply untrue. Being rewarded has everything to do with right place right time and nothing to do with ability, skill, knowledge. Unfortunately the right time was years ago and almost nowhere is the right place anymore.

I know a CRNA who took a 110k/yr for 40 hours a week nearby. He ridiculed the offer until he realized the alternative was unemployment.

Sub 100k year salaries for mid levels are 3-5 years away.

As far as I'm concerned, that's adequate compensation.

Benefits of online education
Online CRNA programs
may be a blessing for many. Because the material is uploaded to a virtual classroom, it eliminates your dependence on a campus-based setting to learn. Technologically, a fast internet connection and a computer, is all that online students need. This may also save them money in commuting and on other expenses like textbooks and even accommodation. The deadlines may also be more flexible, granting students ample time to work at their own pace and develop a strong understanding of the concepts involved before moving on to other topics.

I know a SRNA who just signed a contract for his first job nearby. 110k/yr 40 hrs a week 4 weeks vacation. He ridiculed the offer until he realized the alternative was unemployment.

My uncles group in the same city used to pay their CRNAs 180k for 40hr/wk ten years ago.

Sub 100k year salaries for mid levels are 3-5 years away.

The free market will determine pay.

Many icu nurses are making in the 80-90k range already. A little overtime can push it to 100k easily.

It comes a point where the pay isn't enough.

You ask have to remember many regular federal govt workers routinely get paid $80-90k with no much more than a bachelors.

Just playing devils advocate with pay. Unless you want Germany style pay for anesthsiologists as well. Hint: Germany probably pays anesthesiologist the worst.

The free market will determine pay.

Many icu nurses are making in the 80-90k range already. A little overtime can push it to 100k easily.

It comes a point where the pay isn't enough.

You ask have to remember many regular federal govt workers routinely get paid $80-90k with no much more than a bachelors.
I
Just playing devils advocate with pay. Unless you want Germany style pay for anesthsiologists as well. Hint: Germany probably pays anesthesiologist the worst.

Do you know how much it sucks to be an ICU nurse? It is one of the toughest jobs out there for a multitude of reasons. ICU nurses will still go to CRNA school even if if the salary bump is minimal.

I am pretty sure our nurses start off at like 45k at the most. Maybe with experience and overtime they could make 100 but it would be difficult. Definitely a lot more work than a comparable OR position.

Did you work at that Memphis group in TN that got bought by Mednax? My wife is also from Chattanooga and looked at the TN market. I was surprised by how prevalent AMCs were

Do you know how much it sucks to be an ICU nurse? It is one of the toughest jobs out there for a multitude of reasons. ICU nurses will still go to CRNA school even if if the salary bump is minimal.

I am pretty sure our nurses start off at like 45k at the most. Maybe with experience and overtime they could make 100 but it would be difficult. Definitely a lot more work than a comparable OR position.

Did you work at that Memphis group in TN that got bought by Mednax? My wife is also from Chattanooga and looked at the TN market. I was surprised by how prevalent AMCs were

But will they think it's worth the extra $75-150K in student loans to get there for a minimal salary bump?

I can't speak for anyone else, but since I don't want to go to prison I'm not handing over a single penny more than the 39% federal income tax I am forced to pay so any state with an additional state tax is off my list. Glad to hear you don't have a state tax.
400k income at the worst filing status (single) is an effective tax rate of 28%, assuming 0 deductions. If you have 401k/IRA/kids/itemized deductions, this falls quickly.

If you're paying anything close to 39% in federal income tax, you desperately need to hire an accountant.

400k income at the worst filing status (single) is an effective tax rate of 28%, assuming 0 deductions. If you have 401k/IRA/kids/itemized deductions, this falls quickly.

If you're paying anything close to 39% in federal income tax, you desperately need to hire an accountant.
All depends on "net pay"

Tell me. Would you like to be one of Sheridan chief medical officer for one of their Florida divisions making $859k w2 (thus 39% federal tax rate)

Or be Joe blow anesthesiologist making 400k 1099 trying to write off everything you can and lower ur effective tax rate down to 10-15%.

I'd take the W2 job anyway and pay my 39% federal taxes.

By the way depending on state income taxes. Deductions can be funky with AMT which disallow lots of deductions and many deductions also phase out starting at 150k.

No. Took outpatient job in suburb of Memphis. They paid me very well 500k with 10 weeks off. That was back in 2008. Those were the good days. Worked 40 hours a week essentially. 2 Mds covering 6 Crna rooms.

Yes mednax has purchased Bristol, the big Knoxville area group as well. I think they purchased one of the big two Chattanooga practices as well.

Like other poster said. When the spread difference between icu nurse and Crna gets low enough. It may not be worth it to commit 30 (and now maybe 36 months) in nurse anesthesia school. Along with no income either (unless they moonlight as icu nurses during their limited free time).

It's like for anesthesiologist. Ask yourself if you would consider anesthesia a career if you max income with full calls scheduled was between 200-250k (50 hours a week)

What about 150-200k full time 50 hours with call?

It gets to a certain point where other speciality choices start looking better. This one of the reasons anesthesia (and radiology) tanked in mid 90s. My brother as cardiac anesthesia was staring at $110k in major east coast city in 1996. Same with my sister at $120k in 1998. Remember salaries didn't start taking off until the early 2000s. And anesthesia didn't become popular again until the early 2000s. Hmmm. Wonder why?

My med school classmates were shocked in first semester of 1st year med school in 1996 when I told them I wanted to do either anesthesia or radiology. They all said job market was bad and pay low. By 2000. Let's just say we had 14 people go into anesthesia and 12 go into radiology. From a Midwest state medical school where administrators all thought were all were going into primary care.

No. Took outpatient job in suburb of Memphis. They paid me very well 500k with 10 weeks off. That was back in 2008. Those were the good days. Worked 40 hours a week essentially. 2 Mds covering 6 Crna rooms.

Yes mednax has purchased Bristol, the big Knoxville area group as well. I think they purchased one of the big two Chattanooga practices as well.

Like other poster said. When the spread difference between icu nurse and Crna gets low enough. It may not be worth it to commit 30 (and now maybe 36 months) in nurse anesthesia school. Along with no income either (unless they moonlight as icu nurses during their limited free time).

It's like for anesthesiologist. Ask yourself if you would consider anesthesia a career if you max income with full calls scheduled was between 200-250k (50 hours a week)

What about 150-200k full time 50 hours with call?

It gets to a certain point where other speciality choices start looking better. This one of the reasons anesthesia (and radiology) tanked in mid 90s. My brother as cardiac anesthesia was staring at $110k in major east coast city in 1996. Same with my sister at $120k in 1998. Remember salaries didn't start taking off until the early 2000s. And anesthesia didn't become popular again until the early 2000s. Hmmm. Wonder why?

My med school classmates were shocked in first semester of 1st year med school in 1996 when I told them I wanted to do either anesthesia or radiology. They all said job market was bad and pay low. By 2000. Let's just say we had 14 people go into anesthesia and 12 go into radiology. From a Midwest state medical school where administrators all thought were all were going into primary care.

Do you think salaries in Anesthesia will, once again, take a nosedive? Even adjusting to inflation, 110K in 1996 is very low for.

Being rewarded has everything to do with right place right time and nothing to do with ability, skill, knowledge. Unfortunately the right time was years ago and almost nowhere is the right place anymore.
With that mentality just give up man cuz it usually leads to defeat. You're not entitled to anything and no one feels sorry for you. Success is never an accident.
Those with great jobs making great money in successful groups didn't just get lucky. They can quit their jobs today and know they can get a great gig in any number of places. It's not about luck.

Reactions: 1 users
Crna here makes 200.... Doesn't take call or work weekends but she's always the late... Ie last to go home except for the call person. She off the hook at 7 for sure. It's pretty rare for her to get stuck there past 5. BFE. 6 weeks vacation.
posts like this make me regret going to medical school & wanting to do anesthesia

When adjusted to inflation, $110k in 1996 dollars = $165k in 2015 dollars. Just to get an idea how low the tide can/will swing.

When adjusted to inflation, $110k in 1996 dollars = $165k in 2015 dollars. Just to get an idea how low the tide can/will swing.

Yes but the difference is, in 1996 student loans was no where near 220k average thar it is today, so with 100k student loans and wrking 40hrs a week with lots ofvacation i can see myself doing anesthesia. BUT in 2015, with avg loan 220k+ plus, 5yrs of residency, inherent risk of job, and increasing hrs...no one in their right sense will go into anesthesia for 165k salary....which is lower than FP. If this country hope to continue to produce doctor anesthesiologist, they dare not do that.

The $110 number was for new grads going into partnership tracks. I don't think the established guys took that big of a hit.

Makes you wonder why WE don't form a union. Sounds like we may need to

Additionally i think this is why fellowships are getting competitive. I literally walked into my CT fellowship and I owe my PD my life and job for that (she knows who she is). Now CT fellowships are competitive like peds and pain. Like i posted elsewhere no CRNA or AA can do what I can do in a heart room. If a hospital wants to pay a CRNA + an echo tech + md to supervise more power to them, ill get mine in the end with my credentials

Last edited:
With that mentality just give up man cuz it usually leads to defeat. You're not entitled to anything and no one feels sorry for you. Success is never an accident.
Those with great jobs making great money in successful groups didn't just get lucky. They can quit their jobs today and know they can get a great gig in any number of places. It's not about luck.

It's ALL about when you finished residency. You can call that luck or not, it makes no difference.

It's not my mentality, it's observation and experience. I've worked with partners who are great and partners who suck. They're partners because they got hired at the right time not because they are good (or bad).

I'm not asking for anyone to feel sorry for me. This isn't about me. My life is good. I'm simply warning med students to choose a different specialty because this one is circling the drain. When I chose anesthesia, jobs were almost all academic or partnership track. At that time, it seemed like a great specialty. That has changed. Choosing this specialty now that we know you will be a replaceable factory worker would be a big mistake. Don't do it.

You are kidding yourself if you think that people with great jobs are better anesthesiologists than most people with not so great, employee jobs. This field has been destroyed by selling out to national groups and it will never recover. No amount of skill or hard work on your part will change that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm abandoning ship if it ever goes below 250k, let alone 165k.

You'd be wise to avoid getting on the wrong boat in the first place.

7755170_G.jpg

Timing and luck are important. But, they are not the only things. Clinical skills, work ethic, interpersonal skills, willingness to locate to where the best opportunities are all matter. Just less than they used to.

Agreed. It absolutely matters how good you are.

People who continuously work to improve their skills will have more opportunities than those who rest on their laurels. It does matter how hard you work and how much ownership you take over your patients and your workplace.

Even in my community I know who the really great anesthesiologists are within and outside my group. And the surgeons know and the staff know. They can write their own tickets but most of them tend to stay put because they like where they are. And the mediocre ones live in fear because they know they have few options and no mobility.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Is that the boat for Family Med, OBGYN, IM, Peds, Psychiatry, Geriatrics, Radiology, a saturated Plastics and Optho market, or Radiation Oncology? Sorry, it was hard to tell.

Can't be radiology or pathology. If it was you'd be able to see the unemployed docs huddled around the flames trying to keep warm while waiting for beds in the homeless shelter to open up.

Agreed. It absolutely matters how good you are.

People who continuously work to improve their skills will have more opportunities than those who rest on their laurels. It does matter how hard you work and how much ownership you take over your patients and your workplace.

Even in my community I know who the really great anesthesiologists are within and outside my group. And the surgeons know and the staff know. They can write their own tickets but most of them tend to stay put because they like where they are. And the mediocre ones live in fear because they know they have few options and no mobility.

That depends on how you look at it.
It absolutely matters how good you are if you are terrible. Being bad will hurt you if you aren't a partner. And I guess you could sink your whole group if you are really really bad or an ass even if you are a partner.
On the other hand, it doesn't matter how good you are if you are good, because being good is no longer rewarded.

I'm in no way suggesting you shouldn't always try to improve. You should be the best you can be out of pride and out of an obligation to take care of your patients, but you shouldn't expect being good to get you ahead in this career. You are a means to an ends for corporate profits and nothing more. Your hard work IS important, but it won't be rewarded in regards to your position in this specialty.

Last edited by a moderator: