What kind of epidemiologist do I want to be?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

determined13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what kind of epidemiology I want to work in, but I am interested in the science aspect of it. I am a bio major after all, and I love the idea of finding out what causes a disease and what prevents it. Is that more geared towards molecular/genetic epidemiology, or is that just all of epidemiology in general? And what exactly in infectious disease epidemiology? Is an MPH sufficient, or do you need a higher degree? It sounds really cool. All I know is that I want to be the one finding cures. Epidemiology is such a cool discipline, I get excited just thinking about it!

Members don't see this ad.

If you're interested in finding cures or dealing with infectious disease epi, I believe an MD-MPH degree might fit to what you're looking for. I'm interested in epi too, but I'm more into the social or ecological part of epi such as dealing with numbers and data and figuring out trends within a demographic or particular population.

Here's a helpful thread if you haven't taken a look at it yet:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...of-epidemiology-careers.808031/#post-13678123

If you're interested in finding cures or dealing with infectious disease epi, I believe an MD-MPH degree might fit to what you're looking for. I'm interested in epi too, but I'm more into the social or ecological part of epi such as dealing with numbers and data and figuring out trends within a demographic or particular population.

Here's a helpful thread if you haven't taken a look at it yet:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...of-epidemiology-careers.808031/#post-13678123

Thank you for responding! I've been researching a lot about what kind of epidemiology i want to go into. I'm not really interested in going to medical school anymore, so that's a real bummer if that's the degree i need. I'm good at and enjoy biostatistics, and i'm just really interested in the science part of epidemiology. That's why I thought maybe molecular epidemiology is for me, but idk. There's just so much to choose from.
I did see that thread before, it was very helpful.. thanks again!

Members don't see this ad :)
I work in pharmacoepidemiology.

I used to do environmental cancer epidemiology.

I also did some molecular cancer epidemiology, as well.

Some areas that might of interest!

I did all as a PhD or as a PhD-in-training. All in a research setting.

I work in pharmacoepidemiology.

I used to do environmental cancer epidemiology.

I also did some molecular cancer epidemiology, as well.

Some areas that might of interest!

I did all as a PhD or as a PhD-in-training. All in a research setting.

That's really cool! I may try to do an internship/summer research program in molecular epidemiology next summer. I spoke to someone at a graduate school fair from Roswell Park Cancer Institute and said I should apply. It all sounds so interesting! What kind of work did you for molecular cancer epidemiology?

That's really cool! I may try to do an internship/summer research program in molecular epidemiology next summer. I spoke to someone at a graduate school fair from Roswell Park Cancer Institute and said I should apply. It all sounds so interesting! What kind of work did you for molecular cancer epidemiology?

Some related work was looking at mitochondrial DNA copy number and telomere length in pre-diagnostic serum specimens and cancer risk.

Some other work was looking at soluble CD protein markers in serum specimens and cancer risk.

Did some collaborations on genomics studies and risk of cancer, as well.

Interesting and unique work that, depending on your interest in the molecular methods and identification of risk or latent/undiagnosed disease, can have varying levels of impact.