What kind of picture to use on APP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TamHLe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was wondering if I should get a hair cut before I take a picture to use in my application, would they care as much? I know its important to look the part of a good student, but my current hair is about the same as the one on my avatar, what do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

I highly doubt they care about the type of haircut you have, just don't look like you just woke up to take the picture. Also suit and tie is a must.

Wait a suit and a tie for the picture?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, a suit and tie for the picture. You want to look professional, right?

I was wearing a Filipino Barong (it's like a intricately knit white shirt that is left rather casual looking for US standards). It's also considered a tuxedo equivalent in the Philippines.

I hope the adcoms don't discount me for wearing something that looks rather casual for Western standards.

Besides, the schools only ask for passport photo anyway (which is what I provided).

Casual clothes okay. As long as they see your face, everything should be okay.

I'm sure the shirt is fine as long as you look neat/put together. I would think they wouldn't judge what you're wearing as long as you're put together and clean.

If I have to take a picture on my application, I'd probably take one in a sweater or collared shirt. Then again, I am a girl, but I really don't see a reason to go beyond a collared shirt with a tie if you're just submitting a picture that just shows your bust (head and shoulders only obvs :laugh:).

Besides, the schools only ask for passport photo anyway (which is what I provided).

Passport photo? Does this mean they want a scan of your passport for the application or a passport-type photo taken specifically for your application?

I'm sure the shirt is fine as long as you look neat/put together. I would think they wouldn't judge what you're wearing as long as you're put together and clean.

If I have to take a picture on my application, I'd probably take one in a sweater or collared shirt. Then again, I am a girl, but I really don't see a reason to go beyond a collared shirt with a tie if you're just submitting a picture that just shows your bust (head and shoulders only obvs :laugh:).

Passport photo? Does this mean they want a scan of your passport for the application or a passport-type photo taken specifically for your application?

:thumbup: I just scanned my passport photo, retouched, then reprinted them out. Looks neat!

Yeah, a suit and tie for the picture. You want to look professional, right?

+1

Always look professional, only ugly people tend to send their photos w/o their shirts or or w/ crazy things on... to have a distraction away from their face.

I had an informal interview with a guy on the board of admissions for VCU and we talked specifically about the picture. He said it didn't really matter what you wore in the picture as long as you're not in your birthday suit. You should look neat and presentable, that's about it. It does not have to be your actual passport photo, it just has to be 2x2 for the most part, and yes you are allowed to smile.