What kind of POD do you want to be someday?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doclm

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello to All,

I have noticed that there has been little movement within the POD SDN forums the last few days. Just to break the ice........ :D

What kind of POD do you want to be? Surgical, Research, Primary Care, ect.

Any ideas of private group practice or solo practice, mabey on staff at a hospital also. I just want to get a general idea of what many people want to do with their education.

I am interested in some research and having a practice someday with some other fine physicians. Possibly having the chance to invent something new. :idea:

Yeah, and one more question... How many of you have the desire and creativity to invent something within the the realm of Podiatric Medicine.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm interested in working with a multi-specialty or ortho group. The only way I'd do private practice is if I were hired on with an existing group. I'm totally against trying to start my own practice. Besides the obvious obstacles (medicare, HMO's, etc), I have no desire to be a business man and try and run my own. I believe that Podiatry is a surgical sub-specialty (already is in most places these days). Like many other surgical sub-specialties, I plan on spending 60-70% of my time in the clinic and 30-40% in surgery.

doclm said:
Hello to All,

I have noticed that there has been little movement within the POD SDN forums the last few days. Just to break the ice........ :D

Any ideas of private group practice or solo practice, mabey on staff at a hospital also. I just want to get a general idea of what many people want to do with their education.

I am interested in some research and having a practice someday with some other fine physicians. Possibly having the chance to invent something new. :idea:

Yeah, and one more question... How many of you have the desire and creativity to invent something within the the realm of Podiatric Medicine.

Im not big into research although we need those who are interested. I would like to eventially work with a large multspecialty group. My brother is aspiring to be an orthopedic surgeon so we would like to work closley together as well. Ideally, my practice will consist of everything. I would like to be involved in the latest reconstructive surgical procedures as well as practice medicine where I can fix something in one office visit (or at least help them feel better in one office visit). I would enjoy reconstuction but I am more interested in trauma. However, I havent started rotations yet so things can change once I experience it.

Members don't see this ad :)
there are plenty of great opportunities ahead for podiatry...right now i'm involved with research projects sponsored by the kriger research institute which deal with using growth hormones to treat diabetic foot ulcers...and i hear nothing but great things about young podiatric surgeons and physicians...

All you future podiatrists should definately consider research during school years or even as a fellowship upon completing your residency...knowledge is power and through research and applied knowledge, the profession will continue to grow and prosper and more laws will be in favor of this "new" breed of surgically trained and research-oriented podiatrists...

remember...this profession is not how it used to be 10-15 yrs ago...and if you want to keep this positive movement for this profession, we need more qualified surgeons and more research on your area of expertise!

On another note, i have a question maybe some of the senior pod students can answer me on this one but is there a vascular surgery fellowship offered to PM&S-36 residency graduates?

Thanks...

and best of luck to all of you!

drbeesh said:
On another note, i have a question maybe some of the senior pod students can answer me on this one but is there a vascular surgery fellowship offered to PM&S-36 residency graduates?

There are no vascular surgery fellowships offered to any Podiatric Surgical Resdiency graduates. Many of the residents may do a rotation on vascular surgery service during their residency training. In my residency program, we do get to work with the vascular surgeons. Some of the residency programs or fellowship programs that are concentrated on Diabetic Limb Salvage may work more with Vascular Surgeons. I am not sure if you are aware of this or not. Vascular Surgery is a subspeciality of General Surgery. After completing the five years of General Surgery residency training, graduates may then go on to a Vascular Surgery Fellowship.

doclm said:
Hello to All,

That is a great question and am interested in reading other people responses. As for me, I prefer to initially join a group practice (whether it is multispecialty, podiatry, or ortho group). The reason for me is that I need to learn more about the business side of things on running the practice and coding, which I can gain from working in a group practice setting (esp. podiatry group setting). With my 3 yrs of Podiatric Surgical residency training, I hope to be able to offer conservative and surgical solutions to various podiatric conditions (from toes to reconstructive rearfoot). As I complete my residency training, I know that I would prefer not to take trauma foot and ankle call from the ER. If a stabilized fracture from the ER was to come into my office, then I will be more than happy to treat it. Taking trauma foot and ankle call in a Level 1 trauma center without any resident support can be very tough on the family life, in my opinion.

As for inventing new products in the Podiatry arena, there are many Podiatric Surgeons whom are working as medical advisors for various Orthopedic Surgical Device or Wound Care companies. Medical advisors are either testing some of the new products and others are having their invention being produced and marketed by these Orthopedic Surgical Device or Wound Care companies. There are several Podiatric Surgeons who have made quite a bit of money on inventing various devices.

randersen said:
Im not big into research although we need those who are interested. I would like to eventially work with a large multspecialty group. My brother is aspiring to be an orthopedic surgeon so we would like to work closley together as well. Ideally, my practice will consist of everything. I would like to be involved in the latest reconstructive surgical procedures as well as practice medicine where I can fix something in one office visit (or at least help them feel better in one office visit). I would enjoy reconstuction but I am more interested in trauma. However, I havent started rotations yet so things can change once I experience it.[/QUOTE

A bit of advice for the future. On a residency interview if they ask you if you like research, the answer is yes, yes. yes even if you despise doing research. Many programs now have certain research requirements you have to complete before you graduate the program. Program directors love research because it brings them money and prestige.

dpmgrad said:
There are no vascular surgery fellowships offered to any Podiatric Surgical Resdiency graduates. Many of the residents may do a rotation on vascular surgery service during their residency training. In my residency program, we do get to work with the vascular surgeons. Some of the residency programs or fellowship programs that are concentrated on Diabetic Limb Salvage may work more with Vascular Surgeons. I am not sure if you are aware of this or not. Vascular Surgery is a subspeciality of General Surgery. After completing the five years of General Surgery residency training, graduates may then go on to a Vascular Surgery Fellowship.

interesting...thanks for the info...i was already aware of the fact that vascular surgery fellowships were offered to general surgery residents but I was curious if similar fellowships were offered to podiatrists because of their involvement with diabetic limb salvage...

drbeesh said:
interesting...thanks for the info...i was already aware of the fact that vascular surgery fellowships were offered to general surgery residents but I was curious if similar fellowships were offered to podiatrists because of their involvement with diabetic limb salvage...

drbeesh, I notice that you are from Toronto. How is podiatric life in Ontario and Canada in general? Can you make a decent living on the health plan?

businessguy said:
drbeesh, I notice that you are from Toronto. How is podiatric life in Ontario and Canada in general? Can you make a decent living on the health plan?

Podiatry in Ontario is light years behind the rest of the provinces and US. This is because the province was running under the old british chiropidy model for footcare and so they imposed limitations on US trained DPMs. This is subject for change within the next 3-4 years however, as the government is finally taking active initiative in evaluating the DPM degree and granting more practice rights for DPM holders - which is the first step towards a US podiatry model...and they also closed down the Chiropidy school in Ontario, which is a good sign for US-trained podiatrists. Despite the limitations though, the current DPMs who reside in Ontario make a very comfortable living after taxes...

Podiatry in the other provinces is probably more lucrative as they all (or most of them at least) follow the US podiatry model - as a result, the quality of lower extremity care is much better, and their surgical previlidges there are great! This is especially true if you are working at the provinces of Alberta or British Columbia.

If you have any questions regarding podiatry in ontario or canada in general, feel free to PM me at any time.

randersen said:
Dr. Beesh, are you currently a practicing pod in Canada?

actually i'm not a podiatrist - aspiring podiatrist would be the word...I am a research director and our projects involved some diabetic treatments and thats how I was introduced to podiatry and how I met and worked with many US-based and Canadian-based podiatrists throughout the past year. I did gain acceptance to a podiatry school but I chose to defer it for the year and continue working on my research.