What kinds of medical schools could I get into?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

isjoeflaccoelite

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, it's about that time to apply to med schools and I'm kinda clueless as to researching good schools at whatnot. What do you guys use as a guide to make a list of schools? I thought maybe I could post here and you guys could at least give me an idea of where to apply because you guys are probably all over it so here's my stats:

3.95 with major in Cell Bio and Neuroscience with minor in Business Administration
518 131/127/130/130

EMT at Rescue Squad for about 2 years (approx 1000 hrs)
Research for a year but not published
Worked at a hospital
Shadowing at a hospital

Letters should be decent but not from anyone amazing just professors and some EC's

I'm trying to go somewhere I can still have a life outside of school lol so preferably by a city like NYC, Boston, Philly, Miami. I'm a male asian from Rutgers. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Use the MSAR along with the LizzyM score calculator to pick your schools. Once you have your school list, make a thread in "What are my chances" and people will comment on your school list.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
never worry about having a life outside medicine.... it mostly won't happen and is the least of your worries

Reactions: 1 user
never worry about having a life outside medicine.... it mostly won't happen and is the least of your worries

This post is hilariously inaccurate and I hope it was intentional in hyperbole.

I had a great time as a medical student in Chicago. Such a fun and friendly and reasonably priced city (consider it on your list!). Things went perfectly fine -- had a girlfriend, still did well in boards, matched well in a hyper competitive field, etc.

Things are still good in residency. I had a significant side hustle as a surgical intern, went out at least 2-4 times a month as a resident in NYC. Only limiting factor these days is my goddamn salary.

This post is hilariously inaccurate and I hope it was intentional in hyperbole.

I had a great time as a medical student in Chicago. Such a fun and friendly and reasonably priced city (consider it on your list!). Things went perfectly fine -- had a girlfriend, still did well in boards, matched well in a hyper competitive field, etc.

Things are still good in residency. I had a significant side hustle as a surgical intern, went out at least 2-4 times a month as a resident in NYC. Only limiting factor these days is my goddamn salary.

Yes, the only part that should have been taken seriously is the idea that the school itself matters more than location. As you point out, you spend 40-80+ hours per week in your program, and only 2-4 times going out in NYC.

It matters, but I will say it is the least of your worries.
You can have a life outside medicine, but it won't be the majority of your time.
And that sliver of time outside medicine, you can have fun with it even in small college-ish towns in the cornrows.

Yes, the only part that should have been taken seriously is the idea that the school itself matters more than location. As you point out, you spend 40-80+ hours per week in your program, and only 2-4 times going out in NYC.

It matters, but I will say it is the least of your worries.
You can have a life outside medicine, but it won't be the majority of your time.
And that sliver of time outside medicine, you can have fun with it even in small college-ish towns in the cornrows.

2-4 times includes all night ragers and all day adventures. Comparing times to hours is apples and oranges.

OP SHOULD be worried about quality of life outside of medicine. Let go of the fantasy that the job is everything. If you're unhappy outside of medical school and training, it's gonna be a hellish 7-10 years. Your performance will suck in your workplace as a result. So if the city life is what will make him happy, then he should definitely consider that.

Medical school is at most 8-12 hours a day and not everyday. Given that less than half my time is spent in medical school, I wouldn't call stuff outside of school a sliver. And for those of you neurotic kids who say you need more time than that in school -- that's a personal choice. I choose to be ridiculously time efficient, and when studying becomes tedious, I step away from it, rather than slogging through an incomprehensible and stress inducing mess.

With numbers like those, oh, say, Stanford, Harvard, U Chicago, WashU, Hopkins and that ilk.

Hi guys, it's about that time to apply to med schools and I'm kinda clueless as to researching good schools at whatnot. What do you guys use as a guide to make a list of schools? I thought maybe I could post here and you guys could at least give me an idea of where to apply because you guys are probably all over it so here's my stats:

3.95 with major in Cell Bio and Neuroscience with minor in Business Administration
518 131/127/130/130

EMT at Rescue Squad for about 2 years (approx 1000 hrs)
Research for a year but not published
Worked at a hospital
Shadowing at a hospital

Letters should be decent but not from anyone amazing just professors and some EC's

I'm trying to go somewhere I can still have a life outside of school lol so preferably by a city like NYC, Boston, Philly, Miami. I'm a male asian from Rutgers. Thanks

I think you have a good shot at any Caribbean medical school

Reactions: 1 users
Not a med student, but I'm thinking that caffeinemia is probably an outlier when it comes to achieving that sort of work/life balance while managing to match into an uber competitive speciality. I could be wrong though.

That said, I see where Crayola is coming from. One of my friends (who is an M2) raves about her school's boonie location because it helps her avoid the big city distractions. According to her, it's more ideal for getting work done. YMMV though. :shrug:

Lol they're 0-2 in the playoffs at OKC though
Yeah, but winning a road game after a momentous victory isn't far fetched for a team of their caliber. Especially after finding an effective defensive scheme. In addition, Westbrook is due for a vintage 6-23/8 turnover performance :)

Anyway, @isjoeflaccoelite, congrats on what looks like an awesome app.

Basketball talk in pre-allo... what is this!?

OKC in 7, then OKC in 5. They are rollin right now, but GSW will come out firing tonight. A good shooting night is much overdue.