What kitchen tool could you see in lab?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mingote

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
A question to ponder:

If you could bring any cooking instrument from the kitchen into lab (or vice versa!) what would it be?

I would love to have one of those adjustable, push out, measuring cups people use for honey, peanut butter, or mayo. I'm always doubtful my concentration of detergent is as accurate as I think it is...

Would anyone else like to share ideas? Guess who's waiting for an incubation... :)

Members don't see this ad.

Moving pipets and serological pipets into the kitchen would make me happy...

Reactions: 1 users
Well, these aren't really "instruments" but my lab uses a pyrex casserole dish and plastic wrap for Westerns.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is quite a nerdy conversation...I'll play

Syringes are good for injecting fillings
Goggles for eye protection when chopping onions

Moving pipets and serological pipets into the kitchen would make me happy...

Can you imagine using that for things like vanilla extract? 100% Accuracy!!

Well, these aren't really "instruments" but my lab uses a pyrex casserole dish and plastic wrap for Westerns.

Classic, some people I know like using plastic divider sleeves but I've never been a convert...

For kitchen use:
digital balance
double distilled+filter water setup
autoclave
pH meter

For lab use:
corkscrew / bottle opener

What is this, molecular gastronomy? ;)

What would the autoclave be used for though? All I can picture is a juiced-up/industrial oven...

This is quite a nerdy conversation...I'll play

Syringes are good for injecting fillings
Goggles for eye protection when chopping onions

Glad you could join the fun!

The syringe idea is a nice one, I always feel like I'm wasting a lot with pastry bags or MacGyvered ziploc bags!

Last edited:
I actually do have a kitchen appliance that I use in lab. Salad spinner works great as a makeshift centrifuge.

For my kitchen, I would like a water bath and a plastic sealer to make sous-vide foods.

I actually do have a kitchen appliance that I use in lab. Salad spinner works great as a makeshift centrifuge.

We did this in one of the labs I rotated in.

Reactions: 1 user

We did this in one of the labs I rotated in.

:eyebrow: Really? That's definitely a new one for me. What are you actually spinning down; it seems like it would be an awkward setup (read: messy).

Seal-a-meal bags FTW for Westerns. I can do a mini gel blot with half a mill of antibody solution.

I am not worthy! :bow: Sounds like a good lead to follow.

Steaming the living hell out of those dumplings.

I guess that's one way to step up production; the worst is when you're hosting a party and consumption >> production. Chips and guac are sometimes not enough to keep the masses at bay!

For my kitchen, I would like a water bath and a plastic sealer to make sous-vide foods.

Love it.

The best 'hacked' version is to just use a heavy bottom dutch oven, plain candy/digital thermometer, and heavy duty ziploc bags with all the air pushed out. I think you're suppose to have relatively good heating control and temperature stability without forking over the $$ for the one-trick pony. I've seen images but it's all still hearsay...

We use this for cleanup in my clinical lab and they are awesome, super super absorbent. After I got puppy number two I checked and found I could order them online.

http://www.kcprofessional.com/products/wipers/limited/wypall-l40/05701-wypall-l40-wipers

You make it sound like disposable sham-wows or those Olympic diving drying cloths!

We use a blender on leaves for virus extraction... But thinking the other way around I've always wanted a stir/hot plate in my kitchen. I once added too much salt to my soup once... Considered dialysis for a second before I just diluted everything.

We do use bullet holder boxes for our ependorf tubes and a French press for filtering.