What Major?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
G

geneticclone

Hey all. What major are you studying for? Which major is the best for med school? Im probably going for Human biology.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all. What major are you studying for? Which major is the best for med school? Im probably going for Human biology.

I think there some older threads that discuss this, with varying conclusions. However, I would say that you should major in whatever subject you are most interested in that you can do very well in. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
And now for some seriousness before I go to sleep.

It doesn't matter what you major in. Go for something you'll enjoy enough to do well in without torturing yourself.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=335957

There was a poll awhile back too:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=348683
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=359860

But to sum up - it doesn't matter what you major in for medical school. Major in something you enjoy... if you go over to Allo and do a search you'll find that most liberal arts majors felt that they did just as well in med school as their science counterparts or at the very worse were able to make up the difference quickly.

Good luck :luck:

....ooooook. Queer studies..... Is a major...... ok?
And no im not a troll. I just dont know anything about mcat

....ooooook. Queer studies..... Is a major...... ok?
And no im not a troll. I just dont know anything about mcat

Or articles used in sentences. Promis us you won't major in English.

If I had to do it all over again, I would have gone for a bachelors in nursing. I wouldn't be totally broke from applications/interviews and have some excellent clinical experiences :)

I agree with what people are saying. Do what you enjoy. Being pre-med is one of the few things where you can major in what you want to because you don't have to worry about how it will translate into a job. So if you want to major in Art History or Philosophy go for it. This assuming you get into to med school of course.

I'm majoring in Forensic Science. I think it's a great pre-med major, because while you get lots of great science courses that can help with the MCAT (Chem, Bio, O-Chem, Cell Bio, Genetics, BioChem, etc.) you also get to take sweet upper level Forensic Science courses like Crime Scene Search & Recovery, Forensic Law, Forensic Serology, as well as have internship and research opportunities.

I must add, however, that not all Forensic Science programs are the same. Our program is supremely science-based - the Forensic Science major with a concentration in Chemistry is just one course short of a full Chemistry degree. Some schools offer Forensic Science as part of their Criminal Justice degree programs. These programs focus more on police-work and field work rather than actual evidence processing and analysis.

Anyway, enough about my major. Like others have said, pick something that interests you. If you want to major in Underwater Basket Weaving or Biomedical Engineering, choose something that will hold your interest for the next four years. That way, you won't lose interest (and therefore motivation) for doing well in your courses. And don't forget to fit in those pre-requisites somewhere!

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
If I had to do it all over again, I would have gone for a bachelors in nursing. I wouldn't be totally broke from applications/interviews and have some excellent clinical experiences :)

do you know of people who have done this? get a BSN and go to med school right after undergrad or work a while before doing so?

do you recommend it?

do you know of people who have done this? get a BSN and go to med school right after undergrad or work a while before doing so?

do you recommend it?

I can't offer any evidence but my understanding is that a degree in nursing puts one at a significant disadvantage relative to other BA/BS subjects.

Back when I applied (03-04) I found some official AAMC statistics somewhere showing acceptance rates by major, and they were pretty much all the same (including multiple majors) but nursing was significantly lower.

I have an English degree and am now doing post-bacc for the pre-reqs. And I had a hell of a fun undergrad career. (2 abroad semesters and finished early!)

Reactions: 1 user
I'll be majoring in microbiology. As far as the general sciences go, I find this the most interesting.

I major in Microbiology, Immunology, and Molecular Genetics (MIMG). Why? The name was so damn cool! Seriously though, it doesn't matter. Get a HIGH GPA!

If I were to do it all again I would major in Mechanical Engineering or Computer Science (still Premed of course). I have a long programming background and consider it my hobby. Do what you like.

major in whatever interests you, and enjoy your college life! as long as you maintain a high gpa (as well as taking the pre-med prerequisites) you are as ready as a bio or biochem major.

Major in whatever the hell you have a passion in. Which is actually kind of freeing for us pre-meds. If you want to get into business you can't have some crazy art major, but we're given freedom to explore whatever we want so long as we have our pre med requirements met.

So go nuts =)

Unless you don't think you'll get into medical school, in which case a safety major could be a good idea lol. But if you can do well in your major, do well in the pre-reqs, and do well on the MCATs, it doesn't matter what your major was.

I agree that majoring in something you like is much more important than majoring in one of the 'medical related' areas. You'll likely do much better (and have a much better time) studying something that really interests you.

Another consideration is that so many people applying to med school are bio majors! In general, things that make your application different from everyone else's (in a positive way, of course) will tend to make you a stronger applicant.

A final note: I am now in medical school and from what I see academic performance doesn't seem to correlate too strongly with undergrad major. There are history, music, and anthropology majors here doing really well.:thumbup:

i can not decide so I end up double majoring in BioChem and FineArts :confused:

i can not decide so I end up double majoring in BioChem and FineArts :confused:

Wow... that will be hard to do in four years. But if you like both of those subjects a whole lot, then go for it! :thumbup:

Or you could just pick one as a major and spend the extra time doing some great extracurricular activities - I think more ECs would be a whole lot better than a double major.